1x01 Pilot (1)
First Aired: Sep. 22, 2004 on ABC
Summary: Stripped of everything, the 48 survivors scavenge what they can from the plane for their survival. Some panic. Some pin their hopes on rescue. A few find inner strength they never knew they had—like Kate who, with no medical training, suddenly finds herself suturing the doctor's wounds.…
Main Characters in this Episode
Claire Littleton: Yeah, yeah... Yeah.
Jack: [to Hurley] You?
Jack: [Hurley nods in reply] Stay with her.
Hugo "Hurley" Reyes: Dude, I'm not going anywhere.
Kate: I'm Kate.
- Goof (factual errors): The Oceanic airplane is supposed to be a Boeing 777, but when you see Jack running through the wreckage you can see that the main landing gear of the plane has only 4 wheels instead of the six a B-777 would have. Also, when Kate, Jack and Charlie reach the front section of the plane, in several shots where you can see the instruments of the cockpit, there are 3 engine indicators instead of the two a 777 would have
- Goof (continuity error): When Jack uses his tie in the first scenes, you can see he is still wearing it in the next shot.
- Goof (continuity error): In his flashback, Charlie runs from the flight attendants to the front of the plane and locks himself in a bathroom. During the turbulence, he leaves the bathroom and straps himself in a business class seat. We later learn that the front section of the aircraft (business class) separated and landed somewhere in the jungle, yet Charlie is a fuselage-section survivor on the beach.
- Goof (errors in geography): The numbers as coordinates actually take you to a place in central Africa.
- Goof (plot holes): Rose is not wearing her husband's wedding ring around her neck as she later says she always does when they are flying.
- Matthew Fox's dilating pupil in the opening shot was achieved through digital effects.
- The still-turning jet engine on the beach was added in digitally later. During filming, all that was on set was the cowling.
- J.J. Abrams was originally going to cast Michael Keaton for Jack Shephard before the pilot was finally scripted, when Jack was going to be killed off halfway through. When it was changed that he would be a regular, in fact the star of the show as opposed to a guest spot, Keaton declined.
- In the original pilot, in which Jack dies when the group finds the cockpit, Kate was to emerge as the leader for the survivors, motivating them to build shelter and begin considering life as permanent residents of the island.
- Jorge Garcia was the first actor cast for the first season.