3x04 First Girl
First Aired: Nov. 14, 1989 on CBS
Summary: The first woman police officer in Sparta's force is killed during a case in which Gillespie apprehends a murderous drug dealer.
- Goof (continuity error): Although Officer Luann Corbin, played by actress Crystal R. Fox, is introduced at the end of this episode as having just been brought that day from Jackson, Mississippi, to become the newest member of the Sparta Police Department, Fox is listed in the closing credits of the previous episode, "Murder Most Ancient", and was shown sitting in character at her desk in the office of the Sparta PD.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Though this is Thom Gossum, Jr's series debut as the character Councilman "Melvin Lemmon" (as Thom Gossum); at the end of the episode before the introduction of "Officer Luann Corbin", both Councilwoman Harriet DeLong, and Chief Bill Gillespie refer to him as "Ted" (as in "Ted Marcus)
- Bubba, Lonnie and Sweet all get promoted in this episode. Bubba is promoted to lieutenant, Lonnie to sergeant and Sweet to corporal.
- This marked the debuts of Denise Nicholas and Crystal R. Fox in the roles of Councilwoman Harriet DeLong and policewoman Luann Corbin respectively.
- It is mentioned for the first time that Virgil's official rank with the Sparta police is captain.