In The Heat Of The Night was set in the fictional town of Sparta, Mississippi, and followed the professional and personal lives of it's police officers. The series starred Carroll O'Connor who was also the Exec.Producer and writer of many episodes. The series dealt with a variety of issues in long run including: racism, drug abuse, rape, murder, incest, government corruption and drunk driving.
Last EpisodeTV Movie: Grow Old Along with Me Aired: May. 16, 1995
Ex-cop Tom Harwood's happiness with his new bride is threatened by an old flame who sees an opportunity for blackmail.
- Chief William O. 'Bill' Gill…
- Chief of Detectives Virgil T…
- Sgt. V. L. 'Bubba' Skinner
- Althea Tibbs
- Officer Parker Williams
Series Fun Facts
- The season 7 episode "Every Man's Family" was meant as the pilot for a proposed spinoff for the character of Bubba Skinner. The network did not have any available slots at the time it was…
[show]The season 7 episode "Every Man's Family" was meant as the pilot for a proposed spinoff for the character of Bubba Skinner. The network did not have any available slots at the time it was first broadcast and In the Heat of the Night ended soon after, so the spinoff never materialized. It would have been set in Atlanta.
- 'Carroll OConnor was replaced for some episodes by Joe Don Baker, playing Acting Chief Tom Dugan, while O'Connor recuperated from heart surgery.
- Dan Biggers, who played Dr. Frank Robb on the show, had a great grandfather who was once sheriff of Newton County, GA, the actual county where In The Heat Of The Night was filmed.