6x11 The I Love Lucy Christmas Episode
First Aired: Dec. 24, 1956 on CBS
Summary: It's Christmas Eve and Ricky warns his young son: "Santa won't bring the tree and the presents until you go to sleep." It takes some effort to cajole the boy, but after Lucy convinces him that Santa will have no trouble coming down the chimney ("he brings the North Pole with him and slides…
Watch Episode On:- CBS (subscription)
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): After Fred sets the Christmas tree in the Ricardo's living room, Ricky asks how it looks. Lucy tells Ricky that "there's a branch on the right side that spoils the shape". Ricky asks her which one and she walks up to the tree, grabs the branch with her fingers and, with Ricky and Fred both watching, tells Ricky that's the branch she's talking about and asks Fred to get a saw and cut it off. Fred whips a saw out of his pocket, walks up to the Christmas tree, and proceeds to cut off a totally different branch.
- This episode is referred to as "The Lost Episode" because it was not included in the syndication package. It was not included because of its Christmas theme and because it mostly consists of flashbacks to previous episodes. This episode remained unseen until the year Lucille Ball passed away and was aired by CBS on December 18, 1989. In December 1990 CBS aired a colorized version of the episode.
- This episode aired only once on CBS and was not added to the syndication package. It wasn't seen again until CBS aired it as a special in December 1989.
- This is one of two episodes specially colorized and combined, appearing as a one hour long 2013 Christmas Special on CBS, entitled the "I Love Lucy Christmas Special." The other being Season 5, Episode 23: Lucy's Italian Movie.
- One reason that this episode of clips from past shows was put together was that many people in the USA did not have television sets when "I Love Lucy" first came on the air in 1951. TV sales had skyrocketed in the last 5 years - as had the number of "I Love Lucy" fans - and this "retrospective" episode gave many people a chance to see clips from previous shows for the first time.