Hollyoaks is a UK soap that takes a mundane look at the lives, loves and careers of a group of teenage friends and their families as they graduate through GCSE's, A-Levels and College into the world of work. The show is set in and around the fictional Chester suburb of Hollyoaks and is centered around a former 1950s technical college which is now a college of higher education.
- In 2000, the character Matt Musgrove (played by Christian Ealey) transferred from Brookside (UK) to Hollyoaks, the first time this had been done in a British television soap opera.
- Although set in a fictional village in Chester the series is actually filmed in Liverpool and uses many of the same houses used by Brookside (UK).
- Alex Carter (Lee Hunter) auditioned for the part of Darren Osbourne, but he lost out to Ashley Taylor Dawson. About four years later he was up for the part of Dan Hunter, but was considered to look too young for that part, but ideal for the younger brother.
- The series is very famous for its attractive young cast. Every year, the male stars would release a "Hollyoaks Hunks" calendar and the female stars would release a "Hollyoaks Babes" calendar, in which the actors and actresses would pose in states of undress.
- In 2013, executive producer Bryan Kirkwood refuted accusations from critics that actors were cast for their good looks. He said they "always cast on acting ability before anything else".
- The male model on the poster was Stephen Beattie.