First Aired: May. 19, 2009 on FOX
Summary: Will Schuester an optimistic high school teacher, tries to reinvent the McKinley High School's glee club, while reinventing himself. He challenges a group of outcasts to realize their true star potential, while facing harsh criticism from everyone in the school.
Main Characters in this Episode
Will Schuester: From the top.
Sue Sylvester: [to Emma] Your resentment is delicious.
Mercedes Jones: Oh, Hell to the no! Look, I'm not down with all this background singing nonsense. I'm Beyoncé, I ain't no Kelly Rowland!
- Goof (audio/visual unsynchronized): During "Don't Stop Believing," as Finn finishes playing the drums, he stands up and hands the drumsticks to the drummer, but we hear the drum fill continue while there is clearly no-one playing.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When we hear the narration by Rachel in the beginning of the episode, she states that she tries to post on MySpace everyday to keep her talent alive and growing. However, when the Cheerios are watching Rachel's cover of "On My Own", in the box that says "Similar Videos", it states that there are no other videos from Rachel.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When other students sign their names to the Glee Club sign-up sheet, we see Artie's name has been written as "Arty".
- Goof (factual errors): Sandy Ryerson says he got medical marijuana to treat his nervous breakdown. Ohio does not have medical marijuana yet. Michigan does, but bringing it across state lines would be a felony.
- Goof (continuity error): When writing her name on the sign up sheet for the glee club, Tina adds extra Ts at the beginning to mimic the stutter that she often speaks with. When Rachel comes to write her name underneath Tina's the extra Ts are gone and Tina is written properly.
- Kurt sings the song "Cellophane" from Chicago. Chris Colfer sang the same song for his audition for the show.
- Originally, the role of Principal Figgins was written for a white guy but Iqbal Theba got the part. He was born in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Rachel (Lea Michele) sings "On My Own" from "the seminal Broadway classic 'Les Misérables'" for her glee club audition. While still a small child, Michele made her Broadway debut as an alternate for the roles of young Cosette and young Éponine in "Les Misérables", and later was offered the role of adult Éponine (the character who sings "On My Own" in the show). Michele turned down the chance to play adult Éponine so that she could stay with the "Spring Awakening" production (which she had been with since its first workshop days) when it moved to Broadway.
- Stephen Tobolowsky plays a character named Sandy Ryerson, the same last name as his character in Groundhog Day, Ned Ryerson.
- The night before shooting the pilot, Quinn had still not been cast. Dianna Agron auditioned and sang in the office next to Robert J. Ulrich the night before filming began.