First Aired: May. 19, 2009 on FOX
Summary: Will Schuester an optimistic high school teacher, tries to reinvent the McKinley High School's glee club, while reinventing himself. He challenges a group of outcasts to realize their true star potential, while facing harsh criticism from everyone in the school.
Watch Episode On:- Verizon On Demand (purchase)
- Amazon (purchase)
- VUDU (purchase)
- Amazon Prime (subscription)
Will Schuester: From the top.
Sue Sylvester: [at cheerleading practice] You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded, *that's* hard!
Rachel Berry: I won my first dance competition when I was three months old.
- Goof (factual errors): Sandy Ryerson says he got medical marijuana to treat his nervous breakdown. Ohio does not have medical marijuana yet. Michigan does, but bringing it across state lines would be a felony.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When we hear the narration by Rachel in the beginning of the episode, she states that she tries to post on MySpace everyday to keep her talent alive and growing. However, when the Cheerios are watching Rachel's cover of "On My Own", in the box that says "Similar Videos", it states that there are no other videos from Rachel.
- Goof (factual errors): After Finn claimed his mother was having his prostate removed while actually going to Glee, Puck confronts him and claims "Chicks don't have prostates, I looked it up." However in a 2002 medical research study, it was found they do.
- Goof (continuity error): When writing her name on the sign up sheet for the glee club, Tina adds extra Ts at the beginning to mimic the stutter that she often speaks with. When Rachel comes to write her name underneath Tina's the extra Ts are gone and Tina is written properly.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When other students sign their names to the Glee Club sign-up sheet, we see Artie's name has been written as "Arty".
- When Tina adds her name to the list for Glee Club, she writes with a stammer "T T T Tina"
- Originally, the role of Principal Figgins was written for a white guy but Iqbal Theba got the part. He was born in Karachi, Pakistan.
- Rachel (Lea Michele) sings "On My Own" from "the seminal Broadway classic 'Les Misérables'" for her glee club audition. While still a small child, Michele made her Broadway debut as an alternate for the roles of young Cosette and young Éponine in "Les Misérables", and later was offered the role of adult Éponine (the character who sings "On My Own" in the show). Michele turned down the chance to play adult Éponine so that she could stay with the "Spring Awakening" production (which she had been with since its first workshop days) when it moved to Broadway. However, she did go on to play the role of Eponine at the Hollywood Bowl production.
- The night before shooting the pilot, Quinn had still not been cast. Dianna Agron auditioned and sang in the office next to Robert J. Ulrich the night before filming began.
- The band Kings of Leon was approached by Ryan Murphy about the use of some of their songs for Glee due to their uplifting message, but the band immediately told Murphy no and then insulted him and Glee online, leading to a lengthy public fight between the two parties where Ryan Murphy accused the band of homophobia and the band responded that they weren't and simply hated the show and would not be involved with it.