Downton Abbey is a historical drama written by Julian Fellowes. The series follows the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them in an Edwardian country house just after the turn of the 20th century.
Last Episode06x09 Christmas Day Aired: Dec. 25, 2015
Mary endeavours to build bridges with her sister while Edith’s secret continues to pose a threat, despite having nothing left to lose. As Henry …
- Robert, Earl of Grantham
- Cora, Countess of Grantham
- Violet, Dowager Countess of …
- Lady Mary Crawley
- Lady Edith Crawley
Series Fun Facts
- David Weston was seen for the role of Charles Grigg but thought too old.
- All the scenes shot in the servants quarters are shot on a soundstage as the actual quarters at Highclere Castle, the filming location for Downton Abbey, are badly damaged.
- SPOILER: In series 5, Edith has a secret, out-of-wedlock daughter with a married man, places the girl up for adoption, and then "re-adopts" the child herself. Some viewers found the plot line…
[show]SPOILER: In series 5, Edith has a secret, out-of-wedlock daughter with a married man, places the girl up for adoption, and then "re-adopts" the child herself. Some viewers found the plot line implausible, but it bears a strong resemblance to a real-life story. In 1935, movie star Loretta Young, a very devout Catholic, had an affair with her married co-star, Clark Gable, and became pregnant. Because it would have ruined both her career and her reputation as a prim and proper "lady" (she used to fine her fellow actors for swearing on set), Young disappeared from Hollywood, had a baby girl named Judy, and placed her in an orphanage. Soon after, with great publicity and fanfare, she adopted Judy from the orphanage. Judy thought she had been adopted until she was an adult, and heard a rumor that she was actually Young's biological daughter. When she confronted her mother in 1966, Young admitted that Judy was her biological daughter, and Gable was her father. By then, Gable had been dead for 6 years.