Downton Abbey is a historical drama written by Julian Fellowes. The series follows the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them in an Edwardian country house just after the turn of the 20th century.
Last Episode06x09 Christmas Day Aired: Dec. 25, 2015
Mary endeavours to build bridges with her sister while Edith’s secret continues to pose a threat, despite having nothing left to lose. As Henry …
- Robert, Earl of Grantham
- Cora, Countess of Grantham
- Violet, Dowager Countess of …
- Lady Mary Crawley
- Lady Edith Crawley
Series Fun Facts
- Gillian Anderson reportedly turned down the part of Lady Grantham.
- The real estate that "plays" Downton Abbey, Highclere Castle, has been the home of the Carnarvon family since 1679. In 1922, George Herbert, the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, co-discovered the Tomb…
[show]The real estate that "plays" Downton Abbey, Highclere Castle, has been the home of the Carnarvon family since 1679. In 1922, George Herbert, the 5th Earl of Carnarvon, co-discovered the Tomb of the Egyptian pharaoh Tutankhamun. On the show, the names of the Earl of Grantham's beloved dogs, Isis and Pharaoh, are nods to the real castle's connection to Egyptian history.
- According to Jessica Fellowes' book, "The World of Downton Abbey" (2011), the acclaimed TV series cost an average of £1 million per episode to produce.