Downton Abbey is a historical drama written by Julian Fellowes. The series follows the lives of the Crawley family and the servants who work for them in an Edwardian country house just after the turn of the 20th century.
Last Episode06x09 Christmas Day Aired: Dec. 25, 2015
Mary endeavours to build bridges with her sister while Edith’s secret continues to pose a threat, despite having nothing left to lose. As Henry …
- Robert, Earl of Grantham
- Cora, Countess of Grantham
- Violet, Dowager Countess of …
- Lady Mary Crawley
- Lady Edith Crawley
Series Fun Facts
- According to Julian Fellowes, the parts played by Hugh Bonneville, Brendan Coyle and Maggie Smith were written for the actors that played them.
- According to Jessica Fellowes' book, "The World of Downton Abbey" (2011), the acclaimed TV series cost an average of £1 million per episode to produce.
- SPOILER: Although some viewers found Edith's Season 5 storyline implausible (Edith has a secret, out-of-wedlock daughter with a married man, places the girl up for adoption, and then…
[show]SPOILER: Although some viewers found Edith's Season 5 storyline implausible (Edith has a secret, out-of-wedlock daughter with a married man, places the girl up for adoption, and then "re-adopts" the child herself), it bears a strong resemblance to a real historical story about two of the most famous people in the world during the 1930s: in 1935, when the deeply devout Catholic movie star Loretta Young had an affair with her co-star, Clark Gable (who was married at the time), she got pregnant. Because it would have ruined both her career and her reputation as a prim and proper "lady" (she used to fine her fellow actors for swearing on set), Young disappeared from Hollywood to have the baby, Judy, placed her in an orphanage, and then, with great publicity and fanfare, "adopted" her back from the orphanage. Judy herself thought she really had been adopted until she was an adult and heard a rumor that she actually was Young's biological daughter. She confronted Young in 1966, who admitted that Judy was not only her biological daughter but Clark Gable's as well; by that time, Gable had been dead for 6 years.