1x05 World War Three
First Aired: Apr. 23, 2005 on BBC One
Summary: With the threat of interplanetary war looming, the human race prepare for the end, little knowing their enemies lie at the heart of the British government. As the Doctor, Rose and new friend Harriet Jones battle for their lives in 10 Downing Street, the Slitheen family set their plans for…
Main Characters in this Episode
The Doctor: Right. I'll be a couple of hours, and then we can go.
Rose Tyler: You've got a phone?
The Doctor: You think I can travel through space and time and haven't got a phone?
The Doctor: Like I said, couple of hours - I've just got to send out this dispersal - there ya go - that's canceling out the Slitheen's advert in case any bargain hunters turn up.
Rose Tyler: Um... my mother's cooking.
The Doctor: Good! Put her on a slow heat and let it simmer.
Rose Tyler: She's cooking tea. For us.
The Doctor: I don't do that.
Rose Tyler: She wants to get to know you.
The Doctor: Tough. I've got better things to do.
Rose Tyler: It's just tea.
The Doctor: Not to me it isn't.
Rose Tyler: She's my mother.
The Doctor: She's not mine!
Rose Tyler: That's not fair!
The Doctor: Well, you can stay there if you want. But right now there's this plasma storm brewing in the Horsehead Nebula. Fires are burning, ten million miles wide. I could fly the Tardis right into the heart of it, then ride the shock wave all the way out. Hurtle right across the sky, and end up anywhere. Your choice.
Harriet Jones: Who's not human?
Rose Tyler: He's not human.
Harriet Jones: He's not human?
The Doctor: Can I have a bit of hush?
Harriet Jones: Sorry.
The Doctor: [to Slitheen]
The Doctor: So what's the plan?
Harriet Jones: [in soft voice, to Rose] But he's got a Northern accent!
Rose Tyler: [just as soft] Lots of planets have a North.
The Doctor: I said hush!
- Goof (revealing mistake): Obvious disparity between CGI Slitheen creatures and the live action during chase scenes - the monsters moving at far faster speed than their quarry, yet repeatedly repositioned a considerable distance behind again in subsequent shots with the full-size (and different-colour) monster costumes.
- Goof (miscellaneous): When Harriet Jones brings up that the Slitheen 'fart' doesn't smell like a fart, Rose assists her by saying "bad breath". Rose was never in the same room with a Slitheen when there was a 'gas exchange'.
- Goof (factual errors): The reference to the UK needing special "secret launch codes" from the UN is a compete fiction. The UK could launch a nuclear strike without needing permission from the UN.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When the boy is cleaning off the graffiti on the TARDIS, he opens the door and you can clearly see the glass windows from the inside.
- Goof (factual errors): The weapons override screen of the HMS Taurean shows 8 tubes for weapons. The Trafalgar class has only 5 torpedo tubes.
- This episode was watched by 7.98 million viewers on its original transmission, winning a 40.15% audience share.
- When a Slitheen visits Mickey's flat, the word "Salford" can be seen graffitied on the wall near the elevator. Christopher Eccleston's hometown is Salford.
- When the Doctor and Harriet Jones are in a room (and giving instructions to Jackie and Micky via the phone), Harriet Jones, in a fit of frustration, yells at the Doctor; 'you're supposed to be the expert, think of something.' This is very similar to what Sky Silvestry says to the 10th Doctor in Midnight, when the banging outside gets louder. She yells in frustration at the Doctor; 'you're supposed to be the expert, do something.'
- A working title for this episode was "10 Downing Street".