1x08 The Truth Is Out There... and It Hurts
First Aired: Nov. 25, 1998 on The WB
Summary: Acting on Phoebe's premonition, the sisters race to stop a mysterious killer from striking again. Prue finds a truth spell and uses it to find out Andy's reaction to her being a witch. When the spell ends, nobody but the sisters remember what was said and Andy's reaction toward Prue's…
Inspector Andy Trudeau: Lead detective says he's not the only victim. Last night, they found a lab technician out in Oakland. Each of them had the same cauterized mark on their foreheads, and their eyes were drained of color. They were completely white. Wait?
Phoebe Halliwell: Cause of death?
Inspector Andy Trudeau: Unknown. Looks like they took a bullet to the head, only there's no exit wound and no bullet. Phoebe, this is highly ...
Prue Halliwell: What's the vaccine for? What does it protect against?
Gavin: Against me, of course and all other warlocks like me in the future. The Parker child will be the one to bring together all the elements to create the vaccine which will destroy us.
Prue Halliwell: Yes. Look, please, no more questions.
Piper Halliwell: Why?
Prue Halliwell: I wanted to know what Andy would think of me if he found out I was a witch.
Piper Halliwell: Oh.
Phoebe Halliwell: I can't believe it.
Prue Halliwell: Oh, look who's talking, little Miss Spell-of-the-Week.
Phoebe Halliwell: No, no. I mean, I can't believe you actually took my advice. The biggest pooper at the wicca party has finally used her power for personal gain. It's about time.
Piper Halliwell: Personal? It's affecting us. Prue, what have you done?
Prue Halliwell: The spell was only supposed to work on me. It said those in this house. I thought I was alone.
Piper Halliwell: Well, obviously, you weren't.
Piper Halliwell: Wait! We have to undo it right now, fast.
Prue Halliwell: Can't. Twenty-four-hour time limit, which means until eight o'clock tonight, everybody who comes into contact with us will have no choice but to speak the truth.
Piper Halliwell: What do you mean no choice?
Prue Halliwell: Exactly that. Ask me a question.
Phoebe Halliwell: I'm game. Prue, what do you think of me?
Prue Halliwell: While I admire your confidence and your fearlessness, your utter lack of responsibility frustrates me to no end. Oh God, that is so enough.
Piper Halliwell: Oh, my God. This could be very dangerous.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Phoebe tells Tanya that Gavin is a demon, but he is a warlock.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Phoebe is able to prevent Prue from revealing her identity as a witch to Rex by interrupting Prue and changing the word witch to "winner". This, however, is a lie, and would not be ale to occur under the 24 hour truth spell.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When the Warlock Gavin kills one of the effects shown is the eyes drained of color, this is confirmed by Andy (at around 46 mins), however when the corpse of the first victim is found (at around 13 mins) the eyes were shown as normal.
- The real book of shadows prop was being repaired during the filming of this episode. Tanya was flipping through pages of a different book and the cameras simply avoided showing the book's cover to hide this.
- The title of this episode is a nod to anther supernatural series "The X Files" (1993). Which used the tagline, "The Truth is Out There" for the majority of the series.
- SPOILER: Technically the first time Andy learns the truth about Prue being a witch