1x08 The Truth Is Out There... and It Hurts
First Aired: Nov. 25, 1998 on The WB
Summary: Acting on Phoebe's premonition, the sisters race to stop a mysterious killer from striking again. Prue finds a truth spell and uses it to find out Andy's reaction to her being a witch. When the spell ends, nobody but the sisters remember what was said and Andy's reaction toward Prue's…
Gavin: She's hiding the woman I was sent back to kill.
Prue Halliwell: Sent back from where?
Gavin: The future. What are you doing...
Prue Halliwell: Why kill Tanya?
Gavin: I don't want Tanya. I want... what's inside her. No!
Prue Halliwell: And the others, why kill them?
Gavin: They were all... pieces of the puzzle... pieces of the vaccine. Stop this!
Inspector Andy Trudeau: Lead detective says he's not the only victim. Last night, they found a lab technician out in Oakland. Each of them had the same cauterized mark on their foreheads, and their eyes were drained of color. They were completely white. Wait?
Phoebe Halliwell: Cause of death?
Inspector Andy Trudeau: Unknown. Looks like they took a bullet to the head, only there's no exit wound and no bullet. Phoebe, this is highly ...
Inspector Andy Trudeau: If I have to answer right now I don't think so, Prue. I mean, there's nothing wrong with it, I guess. It's just not a future I envision having.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When the Warlock Gavin kills one of the effects shown is the eyes drained of color, this is confirmed by Andy (at around 46 mins), however when the corpse of the first victim is found (at around 13 mins) the eyes were shown as normal.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Phoebe is able to prevent Prue from revealing her identity as a witch to Rex by interrupting Prue and changing the word witch to "winner". This, however, is a lie, and would not be ale to occur under the 24 hour truth spell.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): Phoebe tells Tanya that Gavin is a demon, but he is a warlock.
- The title of this episode is a nod to anther supernatural series _"The X-Files" (1993)- qv). Which used the tagline, "The Truth is Out There" for the majority of the series.
- The real book of shadows prop was being repaired during the filming of this episode. Tanya was flipping through pages of a different book and the cameras simply avoided showing the book's cover to hide this.