5x01 Live Free or Die
First Aired: Jul. 15, 2012 on AMC
Summary: As Walt deals with the aftermath of the Casa Tranquila explosion, Hank works to wrap up his investigation of Gus' empire.
Main Characters in this Episode
Mike Ehrmantraut: Keys, scumbag. It's the universal symbol for keys.
Jesse Pinkman: Yeah, bitch! Magnets!
- Goof (factual errors): The magnet is powered by a series of DC batteries, yet is controlled by an AC Variac. This is impossible. Also, the magnet would be nowhere near powerful enough to do what is shown.
- Goof (revealing mistake): Ted's brace that is supposedly attached to his skull is clearly moving independent of his skull.
- Goof (plot holes): Old Joe states before the magnet is put to test in the junkyard, "Remove anything metal." How do the officer's gun, belt, badge, ect. not get pulled by the magnets force when he opens the door to the evidence room?
- At the start of the episode, Walt breaks his bacon into pieces and makes it into 52, referring to his age. In the pilot episode, he made his veggie bacon into a 50, where he turned 50.
- The Cadillac that Mike drives to meet Walter and Jesse (and abandons afterwards) is the same car Jesse took from the Cartel party in Salud (episode #4.10).
- SPOILER: In the Season 5 premiere's opening scene, Walter White is shown having a gloomy 52nd birthday breakfast at a Denny's in Albuquerque while showing a New Hampshire drivers' license with the last name Lambert, coughing and taking medicine, not wearing a wedding ring, and paying a gun dealer who was seen in Season 4's "Thirty Eight Snub" for a heavy-machine gun. In an August 2012 Rolling Stone article about the 5th and last season of the show, Bryan Cranston revealed that Vince Gilligan told him a few key facts about this scene: Walt was returning to New Mexico from New Hampshire by himself, he had come back and gotten the machine gun to protect someone, and his cancer is "possibly" no longer in remission.