First Aired: Sep. 13, 2005 on FOX
Summary: Special Agent Seeley Booth requests the help of Dr. Temperance Brennan, a top forensic anthropologist, to help provide information when skeletal remains are found in the bottom of a lake. With help from her team of specialists, Brennan determines the body is that of an aide to a Washington…
Angela Montenegro: The book.
Dr. Temperance Brennan: No, no, no. You're not in the book.
Zack Addy: Sure he is. We all are.
Dr. Temperance Brennan: You know I'm no good at that.
Dr. Daniel Goodman: Hmmm. Thus far. But you have a disturbingly steep learning curve.
Angela Montenegro: She didn't actually say where she was going, did she?
- Goof (revealing mistake): As Bones leaves the firing range, Booth fires 2 shots at the target. When they show the target from behind, you see Booth in the background but the holes in the target are entry holes fired from behind the target as it appears.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When Booth picks Brennan up she has bags with her but when he finally pulls over, after her telling him to, she gets out of the car, to leave, without any bags.
- Goof (continuity error): At the graveside ceremony, Dr. Brennan lays a rose on the casket on top of several other roses (at least 2); she then walks away and is joined by Agent Booth for a conversation. They then both turn to watch as the parents lay the first two roses on the casket. The producers do not mention this reversal in the commentary, but it can be assumed the shots were originally intended to be in a different order.
- Goof (revealing mistake): When Zach is taking photographs of the corpse, the video footage is clearly mirrored horizontally, as can be seen by the positions and letters on the patches on his jacket.
- Goof (factual errors): During Cleo's graveside service, the minister is reading "The Prayer of St. Francis" from the Bible. Although well known, it is not a part of the Bible and was first published around 1912.
- During Cleo Eller's funeral, the priest is reciting the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assissi. The entire prayer is "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life."
- The scene at the beginning of the episode, where Bones is taken into custody at the airport, was actually filmed in the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- When Booth and Brennan are at the firing range, and Booth shoots the target with Brennan's gun, Booth closes one eye- his right eye. Therefore his line of aim is not on the sight path, causing him to miss the target. When Brennan walks out and Booth shoots the target with his own gun, both of his eyes are open, which is the proper aiming technique taught in the FBI Academy.
- SPOILER: At one point, Booth and Bones are talking in the rose garden and they're talking about Booth having all his ducks in a row and Bones says that she can be a duck. Later, when Booth and Bones are getting married (in the same spot as this conversation) Bones tells this story in her vows.
- The show has been moved to over 6 different time slots since it premiere, having aired in every week night.