First Aired: Sep. 13, 2005 on FOX
Summary: Special Agent Seeley Booth requests the help of Dr. Temperance Brennan, a top forensic anthropologist, to help provide information when skeletal remains are found in the bottom of a lake. With help from her team of specialists, Brennan determines the body is that of an aide to a Washington…
Dr. Temperance Brennan: It's not magic. It's a logical recreation of events based on evidence.
Dr. Temperance Brennan: I don't know what that means
- Goof (revealing mistake): As Bones leaves the firing range, Booth fires 2 shots at the target. When they show the target from behind, you see Booth in the background but the holes in the target are entry holes fired from behind the target as it appears.
- Goof (crew or equipment visible): When Brennan and Booth are interviewing Oliver Laurier in his apartment, a crew member can be seen in the doorway behind Brennan in some shots.
- Goof (errors in geography): At start of episode, a plane is shown touching down in an airport with the Nation's Capitol in DC visible in background; the scene is identified as Dulles International Airport. The Capitol is not visible during landing at Dulles Airport. Both the landing sequence and later shots inside the airport appear to be Reagan National Airport, which would be more likely given its proximity to later events.
- Goof (continuity error): At the graveside ceremony, Dr. Brennan lays a rose on the casket on top of several other roses (at least 2); she then walks away and is joined by Agent Booth for a conversation. They then both turn to watch as the parents lay the first two roses on the casket. The producers do not mention this reversal in the commentary, but it can be assumed the shots were originally intended to be in a different order.
- Goof (errors in geography): The show seems to use the same stock shot of the characters black SUV cruising around 4th street every time they go out and more then a couple times it can clearly be seen going around in circles. Locations such as Adams Morgan, Cleveland Park, Rockville, Dupont Circle seem to be picked out of a hat and when shown appear nothing like they do in real life.
- The show has been moved to over 6 different time slots since it premiere, having aired in every week night.
- SPOILER: At one point, Booth and Bones are talking in the rose garden and they're talking about Booth having all his ducks in a row and Bones says that she can be a duck. Later, when Booth and Bones are getting married (in the same spot as this conversation) Bones tells this story in her vows.
- The scene at the beginning of the episode, where Bones is taken into custody at the airport, was actually filmed in the Los Angeles Convention Center.
- During Cleo Eller's funeral, the priest is reciting the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assissi. The entire prayer is "Lord, make me an instrument of Your peace. Where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; where there is sadness, joy. O, Divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console; to be understood as to understand; to be loved as to love; For it is in giving that we receive; it is in pardoning that we are pardoned; it is in dying that we are born again to eternal life."
- While trying to convince Booth to let her have full participation in the case, Brennan says the nearest forensic anthropologist after her is in Montreal. The Brennan character in Kathy Reichs' novels, after whom the character in the show is named, works in Quebec.