2x09 Three Ghosts
First Aired: Dec. 11, 2013 on The CW
Summary: While recovering from a near-fatal drug overdose, Oliver begins hallucinating people from his past. Believing he's a liability, Oliver gives the information he has on Cyrus Gold to Quentin... which results in the deaths of several police officers. Meanwhile, Brother Blood captures Roy and…
Detective Lucas Hilton: Human weapons?
Quentin Lance: Look, his name is Cyrus Gold. He's the one who broke into Queen Consolidated last week. He's the one who robbed the blood bank. And he killed all those people.
Detective Lucas Hilton: Wait, hold on a second. Where are you getting all this intel? Oh, man, what's the matter with you? Talking with the vigilante's what got you demoted in the first place.
Quentin Lance: Look, we take a small squad. McCarthy and Evans from SWAT, Jones. We can bring this guy down.
Detective Lucas Hilton: I promised Jeannie I'd take her Christmas shopping.
Quentin Lance: Lucas. Please.
Detective Lucas Hilton: Fine. But you get to call Jeannie and tell her I'm not taking her shopping.
Tommy Merlyn: You're not going to die down here.
Oliver Queen: Tommy, I'm sorry. I let you die.
Tommy Merlyn: You didn't let me die, Ollie. You fought to save me. Because that's what you do. What you have always done. You fight to survive. I know I called you a murderer, but you are not. You are a hero. You beat the island. You beat my father. So fight, Oliver. Get up and fight back.
Brother Blood: No, brother Roy. You'll kill for me.
- Goof (continuity error): When Felicity goes to put the mask on Oliver, she is putting it on his bare face (there is no black makeup on his eyes). When we cut to another shot, and the camera pans around to Oliver with the mask on, he is suddenly wearing eye makeup.
- Goof (errors made by characters, possibly deliberate errors by the filmmakers): When handing over information about Cyrus Gold the Arrow calls Patrolman Lance Detective twice.
- Goof (factual errors): Warfarin has long been a main ingredient in rat poison, and is also used in a more pure form as a pharmaceutical for blood clots. However, it takes three to five days to take effect, and the dosage must be calculated very carefully to balance the actual thickness of how much blood versus the medicinal efficacy of the warfarin ingested. In addition, it has side effects, but hallucinations and excessive sweating are not among them.
- During the news broadcast that Barry Allen is watching, the reporter notes that her name is Linda Park. Linda would later be recast by Malese Jow and play a love interest for Barry in Season 1 of The Flash (2014).
- SPOILER: At the end, Barry Allen receives his powers, turning him into The Flash.
- Near the end of the episode, Diggle asks Oliver about Cyrus Gold's whereabouts to which Oliver responds "Died on Saturday, buried on Sunday." This alludes to the "Tale of Solomon Grundy," whose real name was Cyrus Gold before he died.
- Cyrus Gold is the civilian name of a popular DC villain, Solomon Grundy.
- SPOILER: The episode is modelled after A Christmas Carol with the protagonist being visited by a series of ghosts. However while Shado is a good match for ghost of Christmas past and Slade appearing as the ghost of christmas present hints at him being the main enemy for this season, Tommy appears as what should be the ghost of Christmas yet to come. Unless Tommy returns from the dead in a future season his inclusion is odd.