4x01 Day 4: 7:00 A.M.-8:00 A.M.
First Aired: Jan. 09, 2005 on FOX
Summary: Eighteen months have elapsed since the conclusion of Day 3. A commuter train bound for Los Angeles explodes. A man steals a suitcase from a passenger in the wreckage and then kills him. Jack has been dismissed from CTU and now works for Secretary of Defense James Heller. Jack is involved…
Watch Episode On:- Verizon On Demand (purchase)
- Amazon (purchase)
- VUDU (purchase)
- Amazon Prime (subscription)
Jack Bauer: [becoming agitated, shouting, after throwing the table over] What is happening at eight o'clock?
Erin Driscoll: [through the intercom, watching through the glass window] Holster your weapon! Jack! I said holster your weapon!
Erin Driscoll: [Jack shoots Sherek in the kneecap and screams in pain, to Sarah] Call Medical.
Jack Bauer: [still pointing his gun at him] What is your primary objective?
Erin Driscoll: I'll order Security to shoot you if I have to!
Ronnie Lobell: [to the security agents] Get that door open!
Jack Bauer: [presses his gun at Sherek's other knee cap] What is your primary objective?
Tomas Sherek: [while in pain] Secretary of Defense!
Erin Driscoll: [shocked] Heller.
Jack Bauer: Secretary Heller?
Tomas Sherek: [in pain] Yes.
Jack Bauer: [to Erin] Secretary Heller's the target, call Secret Service now
- Goof (continuity error): Jack somehow gets from the hotel to CTU for his visit in two minutes of on-screen time, during 7 a.m. L.A. morning traffic.
- Goof (revealing mistake): Ronnie goes into the dry cleaner and sets down the two-direction camera. He's clearly behind the camera and should appear in its "rear view," but back at CTU the rear view monitor shows no sign of him.
- Goof (continuity error): The sky is still pitch black at 7:00 a.m. However, at 7:00 a.m. the next day, episode #4.24, it is very light and the sun is clearly up. While sunrise times do vary slightly from day to day, they only vary by that much on the day clocks are changed for daylight savings time, and there is no indication given that this is that day.
- Goof (errors in geography): There are several errors in the page of INTERPOL that Jack is looking. First, there is no "utel Hotel" in Ankara. Second, there is no "Sultanahmet" or "Utangoq" in Ankara, also the format of the address is wrong. Third, the area code (212) is Istanbul's, not Ankara's (which is 312).
- Goof (continuity error): When Jim Heller and Audrey Raines are leaving the Hotel, a small limousine is waiting for them. A little later, on a wide shot of them on the street, its a stretched limo.
- Season 4 is the first season in which the premiere episode does not feature the line "Events Occur in Real Time" in its opening.
- KRLH, the TV station the Araz family is watching, are actually call letters for a religious radio station in southern California.
- The Season 3 DVD set contains an exclusive six-minute prequel that sets up events for the beginning of the fourth season. The first scene occurs three months after the conclusion of Day 3 and shows Driscoll firing Jack from CTU because of his drug use. The second scene takes place one year after Jack's firing and shows a terrorist sneaking across the U.S./Mexican border, and then killing his accomplices. The third and final scene occurs six hours before Day 4 begins and shows Jack and Audrey in a love scene. The prequel is available on the Region One set, but not Region Two. See "Season 4 Prequel."
- This is the first season opener since the series premiere to be aired with commercial interruptions.
- Shohreh Aghdashloo and Jonathan Ahdout (Dina and Behrooz Araz) also played mother and son in House of Sand and Fog.