4x01 Day 4: 7:00 A.M.-8:00 A.M.
First Aired: Jan. 09, 2005 on FOX
Summary: Eighteen months have elapsed since the conclusion of Day 3. A commuter train bound for Los Angeles explodes. A man steals a suitcase from a passenger in the wreckage and then kills him. Jack has been dismissed from CTU and now works for Secretary of Defense James Heller. Jack is involved…
Main Characters in this Episode
Dina Araz: Behrooz, we're sitting down to eat now.
- Goof (continuity error): When Jim Heller and Audrey Raines are leaving the Hotel, a small limousine is waiting for them. A little later, on a wide shot of them on the street, its a stretched limo.
- Goof (continuity error): During the final time display before the episode ends, the timer indicates there is less than six minutes before the hour will end at eight. However, seven minutes pass in actual time.
- Goof (revealing mistake): Ronnie goes into the dry cleaner and sets down the two-direction camera. He's clearly behind the camera and should appear in its "rear view," but back at CTU the rear view monitor shows no sign of him.
- Goof (continuity error): The sky is still pitch black at 7:00 a.m. However, at 7:00 a.m. the next day, episode #4.24, it is very light and the sun is clearly up. While sunrise times do vary slightly from day to day, they only vary by that much on the day clocks are changed for daylight savings time, and there is no indication given that this is that day.
- Goof (continuity error): Jack somehow gets from the hotel to CTU for his visit in two minutes of on-screen time, during 7 a.m. L.A. morning traffic.
- Faran Tahir appeared previously in "Day 2: 6:00 P.M.-7:00 P.M." as the Mosque Greeter. It's possible that he was the same character. If you look closely at his profile, you can see that he was a member of Second Wave, the terrorist organization from "Day 2".
- As of this episode, William Devane (James Heller), Kim Raver (Audrey Raines) and Alberta Watson (Erin Driscoll) join the regular cast.
- Fox decided to deviate from their normal 24 airing schedule and delay the season premiere until January 2005. This gave viewers a longer break in between seasons, but ultimately allowed the show to run without preemption for its fourth season. Fox further decided to move 24 from its usual Tuesday night time slot to Mondays, kicking off the season with a special two-night "miniseries" premiere consisting of the first four episodes airing on Sunday and Monday evenings.
- The Season 3 DVD set contains an exclusive six-minute prequel that sets up events for the beginning of the fourth season. The first scene occurs six months after the conclusion of Day 3 and shows Driscoll firing Jack from CTU because of his drug use. The second scene takes place three months before the events of Day 4 and shows a terrorist sneaking across the U.S./Mexican border, and then killing his accomplices. The third and final scene occurs six hours before Day 4 begins and shows Jack and Audrey in a love scene. The prequel is available on the Region One set, but not Region Two. See "Season 4 Prequel."
- This is the first season opener since the series premiere to be aired with commercial interruptions.