4x01 Day 4: 7:00 A.M.-8:00 A.M.
First Aired: Jan. 09, 2005 on FOX
Summary: Eighteen months have elapsed since the conclusion of Day 3. A commuter train bound for Los Angeles explodes. A man steals a suitcase from a passenger in the wreckage and then kills him. Jack has been dismissed from CTU and now works for Secretary of Defense James Heller. Jack is involved…
Watch Episode On:- Verizon On Demand (purchase)
- Amazon (purchase)
- VUDU (purchase)
- Amazon Prime (subscription)
Jack Bauer: [becoming agitated, shouting, after throwing the table over] What is happening at eight o'clock?
Erin Driscoll: [through the intercom, watching through the glass window] Holster your weapon! Jack! I said holster your weapon!
Erin Driscoll: [Jack shoots Sherek in the kneecap and screams in pain, to Sarah] Call Medical.
Jack Bauer: [still pointing his gun at him] What is your primary objective?
Erin Driscoll: I'll order Security to shoot you if I have to!
Ronnie Lobell: [to the security agents] Get that door open!
Jack Bauer: [presses his gun at Sherek's other knee cap] What is your primary objective?
Tomas Sherek: [while in pain] Secretary of Defense!
Erin Driscoll: [shocked] Heller.
Jack Bauer: Secretary Heller?
Tomas Sherek: [in pain] Yes.
Jack Bauer: [to Erin] Secretary Heller's the target, call Secret Service now
- Goof (continuity error): When Jim Heller and Audrey Raines are leaving the Hotel, a small limousine is waiting for them. A little later, on a wide shot of them on the street, its a stretched limo.
- Goof (continuity error): During the final time display before the episode ends, the timer indicates there is less than six minutes before the hour will end at eight. However, seven minutes pass in actual time.
- Goof (revealing mistake): Ronnie goes into the dry cleaner and sets down the two-direction camera. He's clearly behind the camera and should appear in its "rear view," but back at CTU the rear view monitor shows no sign of him.
- Goof (continuity error): The sky is still pitch black at 7:00 a.m. However, at 7:00 a.m. the next day, episode #4.24, it is very light and the sun is clearly up. While sunrise times do vary slightly from day to day, they only vary by that much on the day clocks are changed for daylight savings time, and there is no indication given that this is that day.
- Goof (continuity error): Jack somehow gets from the hotel to CTU for his visit in two minutes of on-screen time, during 7 a.m. L.A. morning traffic.
- As of this episode, William Devane (James Heller), Kim Raver (Audrey Raines) and Alberta Watson (Erin Driscoll) join the regular cast.
- Shohreh Aghdashloo and Jonathan Ahdout (Dina and Behrooz Araz) also played mother and son in House of Sand and Fog.
- KRLH, the TV station the Araz family is watching, are actually call letters for a religious radio station in southern California.
- Fox decided to deviate from their normal 24 airing schedule and delay the season premiere until January 2005. This gave viewers a longer break in between seasons, but ultimately allowed the show to run without preemption for its fourth season. Fox further decided to move 24 from its usual Tuesday night time slot to Mondays, kicking off the season with a special two-night "miniseries" premiere consisting of the first four episodes airing on Sunday and Monday evenings.
- This is the first season opener since the series premiere to be aired with commercial interruptions.