Feb. 6th, 1917
Budapest, Austria-Hungary (now Hungary)
Zsa Zsa Gabor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1996 - A Very Brady Sequel
1993 - The Beverly Hillbillies
1987 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
1967 - Mondo Hollywood
1962 - The Road to Hong Kong
1958 - Queen of Outer Space
1958 - Touch of Evil
1953 - Lili
1952 - Moulin Rouge
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Undoubtedly, the woman who became to epitomize what we recognize today as "celebrity," Zsa Zsa Gabor is better known for her many marriages, personal appearances, her 'dahlink' catchphrase, her actions, life gossip, and quotations on men, rather than her film career.
It is unclear as to Zsa Zsa's birth date; sources vary from 1917 to 1919. Born in Budapest, Hungary, as Sari Gabor, she followed her sister Eva Gabor to Hollywood. A radiant, beautiful blonde, Zsa Zsa began appearing on television shows and doing the odd movie.
Her first film was at MGM in Lovely to Look at (1952), co-starring Kathryn Grayson and Red Skelton. She next made a comedy called We're Not Married! (1952) at Twentieth Century Fox, with Ginger Rogers. It was far from a star billing for Zsa Zsa, appearing several names down the cast list as a supporting player.
It was in 1952, however, that saw her break into movies big time with her starring role opposite José Ferrer (I) in Moulin Rouge (1952), although it has been said that she was given a very hard time throughout the filming by director John Huston (I).
In the following years, Zsa Zsa slipped back into supporting roles in films such as Lili (1953) and 3 Ring Circus (1954). Her main period of film work was in the 1950s, with other roles in Death of a Scoundrel (1956) with Yvonne De Carlo and The Man Who Wouldn't Talk (1958) with Anna Neagle. Again, these were supporting roles. By the 1960s, Zsa Zsa was appearing more as herself in the movies; she now appeared to follow her own persona around, and cameo appearances were the order of the day in films such as Pepe (1960) and Jack of Diamonds (1967). This continued throughout the 1970s.
She was very memorable as herself in The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991), in which she humorously pokes fun at an incident in 1990 when she was convicted of slapping a police officer during a traffic dispute and spent several days in jail (such infamous incidents contributed to her becoming one of the most all-time recognizable of Hollywood celebrities in recent years and sometimes ridiculed as a result. She was also memorable to British television viewers on "The Ruby Wax Show" (1997).
In 2002, she was reported to be in a coma in a Los Angeles hospital after a horrifying car accident. The 85-year-old, Hungarian-born star was injured when the car she was traveling in hit a light pole in West Hollywood, California. The reports about her coma, eventually proved inaccurate.
- [27 November 2002] In an automobile accident in Los Angeles, which left her in a coma for a short time, and, subsequently paralyzed. She was a passenger riding in a vehicle that struck a light pole on Sunset Boulevard.
- Once held up an episode of _"The New Hollywood Squares" (1986)_ (qv) for about 45 minutes after breaking a fingernail.
- Daughter of 'Jolie Gabor' (qv). Sister of 'Magda Gabor' (qv) and 'Eva Gabor' (qv). Mother of actress 'Francesca Hilton' (qv) and ex-step-great-grandmother of 'Paris Hilton' (qv) and 'Nicky Hilton (I)' (qv).
- Strong doubts have been raised about her claim to the title of a German princess through her marriage to Prince 'Frédéric von Anhalt' (qv). Frederic's father, a policeman and commoner, paid elderly aristocrat Princess Marie-Auguste von Anhalt, daughter-in-law of 'Kaiser Wilhelm II' (qv), a considerable amount of money to adopt his son. Old European royalty does not recognize his title. Zsa Zsa's husband's real name is Hans Robert Lichtenberg. Prince or not, he does have the distinction of being married to her for longer than any of her previous spouses.
- She and her sister 'Magda Gabor' (qv) were both married to 'George Sanders (I)' (qv).
- She and her famous sisters have racked up a total of 18 divorces (so far).
- In 1989 she was arrested and served three days in jail for slapping a police officer in Beverly Hills who stopped her for a traffic violation.
- Together with her husband 'Frédéric von Anhalt' (qv) she adopted a few men. Among them are Marcus Eberhard Edward Prinz von Anhalt, Herzog zu Sachsen und Westfalen, Graf von Askanien (formerly known as Marcus Eberhardt, born about 1969, brothel owner, was adopted in April 2006); Prinz Oliver Leopold von Sachsen-Anhalt, Graf von Westfalen und Askanien (formerly known as Oliver Bendig, born about 1967, owner of two strip clubs in Los Angeles); Prinz Michael Maximilian von Anhalt, Herzog zu Sachsen und Westfalen, Graf von Askanien (formerly known as Michael Killer, born about 1967, owns health clubs); and a surgeon who doesn't want to be mentioned. All of them paid millions for their adoption.