Feb. 6th, 1917
Budapest, Austria-Hungary (now Hungary)
Zsa Zsa Gabor's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1996 - A Very Brady Sequel
1993 - The Beverly Hillbillies
1987 - A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors
1967 - Mondo Hollywood
1962 - The Road to Hong Kong
1962 - Boys' Night Out
1958 - Queen of Outer Space
1958 - Touch of Evil
1953 - Lili
1952 - Moulin Rouge
1952 - We're Not Married!
Guest TV Roles
Undoubtedly, the woman who became to epitomize what we recognize today as "celebrity," Zsa Zsa Gabor is better known for her many marriages, personal appearances, her 'dahlink' catchphrase, her actions, life gossip, and quotations on men, rather than her film career.
It is unclear as to Zsa Zsa's birth date; sources vary from 1917 to 1919. Born in Budapest, Hungary, as Sari Gabor, she followed her sister Eva Gabor to Hollywood. A radiant, beautiful blonde, Zsa Zsa began appearing on television shows and doing the odd movie.
Her first film was at MGM in Lovely to Look at (1952), co-starring Kathryn Grayson and Red Skelton. She next made a comedy called We're Not Married! (1952) at Twentieth Century Fox, with Ginger Rogers. It was far from a star billing for Zsa Zsa, appearing several names down the cast list as a supporting player.
It was in 1952, however, that saw her break into movies big time with her starring role opposite José Ferrer (I) in Moulin Rouge (1952), although it has been said that she was given a very hard time throughout the filming by director John Huston (I).
In the following years, Zsa Zsa slipped back into supporting roles in films such as Lili (1953) and 3 Ring Circus (1954). Her main period of film work was in the 1950s, with other roles in Death of a Scoundrel (1956) with Yvonne De Carlo and The Man Who Wouldn't Talk (1958) with Anna Neagle. Again, these were supporting roles. By the 1960s, Zsa Zsa was appearing more as herself in the movies; she now appeared to follow her own persona around, and cameo appearances were the order of the day in films such as Pepe (1960) and Jack of Diamonds (1967). This continued throughout the 1970s.
She was very memorable as herself in The Naked Gun 2½: The Smell of Fear (1991), in which she humorously pokes fun at an incident in 1990 when she was convicted of slapping a police officer during a traffic dispute and spent several days in jail (such infamous incidents contributed to her becoming one of the most all-time recognizable of Hollywood celebrities in recent years and sometimes ridiculed as a result. She was also memorable to British television viewers on "The Ruby Wax Show" (1997).
In 2002, she was reported to be in a coma in a Los Angeles hospital after a horrifying car accident. The 85-year-old, Hungarian-born star was injured when the car she was traveling in hit a light pole in West Hollywood, California. The reports about her coma, eventually proved inaccurate.
- In 1993 she and her husband were sentenced to pay $2,000,000 to actress 'Elke Sommer' (qv) because of false accusations.
- [7 July 2005] Suffered a stroke at her Bel-Air home and underwent emergency surgery to clear a blocked artery.
- She and her sister 'Magda Gabor' (qv) were both married to 'George Sanders (I)' (qv).
- Her marriage to 'Frédéric von Anhalt' (qv) awarded her the title Princess Von Anhalt, Duchess of Saxony. The legitimacy of this title is strongly questioned by many royal genealogists.
- In 1989 she was arrested and served three days in jail for slapping a police officer in Beverly Hills who stopped her for a traffic violation.
- Measurements: 36C-22-36 (filming _Moulin Rouge (1952)_ (qv)), 38-22-38 (self-described 1960s), (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine).
- Together with her husband 'Frédéric von Anhalt' (qv) she adopted a few men. Among them are Marcus Eberhard Edward Prinz von Anhalt, Herzog zu Sachsen und Westfalen, Graf von Askanien (formerly known as Marcus Eberhardt, born about 1969, brothel owner, was adopted in April 2006); Prinz Oliver Leopold von Sachsen-Anhalt, Graf von Westfalen und Askanien (formerly known as Oliver Bendig, born about 1967, owner of two strip clubs in Los Angeles); Prinz Michael Maximilian von Anhalt, Herzog zu Sachsen und Westfalen, Graf von Askanien (formerly known as Michael Killer, born about 1967, owns health clubs); and a surgeon who doesn't want to be mentioned. All of them paid millions for their adoption.
- Campaigned in 1968 and 1972 for 'Richard Nixon' (qv), who she described as "the most intelligent President of our time".