Nov. 7th, 1973
Seoul, South Korea
Yunjin Kim's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2001 - Rush!
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Yunjin Kim (born November 7, 1973) is an American film and theater actress born in South Korea. Although she is best known in the English-speaking world for her role as Sun on the American television series Lost, Kim has also appeared in numerous film and TV projects in South Korea.
Born in Seoul, South Korea. At the age of ten, Kim immigrated to the United States with her family. They lived in Staten Island, New York. She joined the middle school drama club in the 7th grade and performed in the musical My Fair Lady.
Kim attended high school at the prestigious Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts, a public high school located in Manhattan. From there, she went on to study drama at the London Academy of Performing Arts and later earned her BFA degree in drama at Boston University. Kim has remarked that in her zeal to become Americanized quickly, she studied acting, academics and pronunciation with equal intensity. She is also a trained dancer and martial arts fighter.
After graduation, Kim devoted herself full-time to acting. She garnered several minor parts on MTV, in soap opera-style dramas on ABC, and on the off-Broadway stage. In 1997 she starred in Splendid Holiday, a Korean TV drama shot on location in New York. Kim decided to return to Korea. She was cast in the TV drama Wedding Dress and was also invited to act in Lee Kwangmo's feature Spring in My Hometown, although she ended up not taking this role.
Her breakthrough debut came in the 1999 film Shiri, South Korea's first blockbuster film. Shiri became the highest grossing film in Korean history at the time. In November 2000 she continued her association with KangJeGyu in The Legend of Gingko.
After acting in a Japanese film and a feature set in Los Angeles, Kim appeared in the sci-fi feature Yesterday. Then in 2002, Kim took the lead role in Ardor, the feature film debut of documentarist Byun Young-ju. The film was invited to screen in a non-competitive section at the 2003 Berlin film festival.
She stars as Karen Kim in ABC drama series Mistresses.
Kim married her former manager Jeong Hyeok Park in (March 2010) on the island of Oahu, after shooting her final scenes for Lost.
- A trained dancer: Ballet, Jazz, Afro-Caribbean and Peking Opera Dance.
- Originally auditioned for the part of Kate on Lost, but the producers didn't believe she was right for the part. Instead they created the character of Sun for her.
- Made #98 on Maxim's "hot 100" list of 2006
- Already a bankable star in Asia, she is crossing over the Pacific and gaining American fans in the hit TV show _"Lost" (2004)_ (qv).
- She has been called "The Korean Julia Roberts."
- Does not drink any alcohol because she suffers from a common genetic disorder known as alcohol flush reaction, which is often referred to as "Asian red" [_"Jimmy Kimmel Live!" (2003)_ (qv) - March 2006].
- Goodwill Ambassador for the 2002 World Cup in Japan and Korea, representing Korea.
- Was asked to audition for a role of Chiyo / Sayuri in Memoirs of a Geisha (2005), but refused to do that.