Jul. 23rd, 1961
Midland, Texas, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Woody Harrelson grew up in Lebanon, Ohio. He received degrees in theatre arts and English from Hanover College, Indiana. His career began in New York theatre as an understudy in 'Neil Simon' Biloxi Blues. Within months, he was cast as Woody on the hit TV series, Cheers (1982). Due to conflicts with his TV schedule, Harrelson found it difficult to cross-over to films.
His first appearance was in Wildcats (1986) with 'Goldie Hawn'.
His next movie, Cool Blue (1990) (V), was releases directly to video.
He followed with two cameos, which went uncredited. Meanwhile, he continued to be active in theatre in L.A.: Zoo Story, 2 on 2 (his own basketball drama), Brooklyn Laundry with 'Glenn Close' and 'Laura Dern'.
In 1991, Doc Hollywood (1991) gave him his first widely-seen movie role.
The following year, White Men Can't Jump (1992), with 'Wesley Snipes' established him as a box-office draw.
He followed immediatly with two hits
Indecent Proposal (1993)
Natural Born Killers (1994)
Harrelson lives with his former assistant, Laura Louie, and their 3 daughters.
- Was arrested in Columbus (Ohio) in June 1983, charged of disorderly conduct - he was dancing in the street, halting traffic; he later jumped out of a moving police van laughing maniacally and finally punched one of the two arresting officers to the ground.
- Activist for the legalization of marijuana.
- (2004) Lives with Laura Louie and their children in Costa Rica
- His friends 'Darius Rucker' (qv), 'Mark Bryan (I)' (qv), 'Dean Felber' (qv) and 'Jim 'Soni' Sonefeld' (qv) of the rock band 'Hootie and the Blowfish' (qv) wrote the song "Woody" about him. The number can be found on the group's eponymous 2003 album.
- Father 'Charles Harrelson' (qv) was sentenced to two life sentences for the murder of Federal Judge 'John Howland Wood' (qv) on the orders of drug dealer 'Jimmy Chagra' (qv), who reportedly paid him $250,000. Harrelson has claimed to be one of the "hobos" taken away from "the grassy knoll" right after the shooting of 'John F. Kennedy' (qv).
- He is the first and, as of 2005, only regular cast member from _"Cheers" (1982)_ (qv) to receive a nomination for an Academy Award.
- Was considered for the role of Lester Burnham in _American Beauty (1999)_ (qv).
- Close friend of 'Michael J. Fox (I)' (qv).