Oct. 29th, 1971
Winona, Minnesota, USA
Winona Ryder's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Winona Ryder was born Winona Horowitz and named after the town in which she was born, Winona Minnesota. She grew up in a ranch commune in Northern California where there was no electricity. She is the Goddaughter of Timothy Leary and her parents were friends of Beat poet Allen Ginsberg and once edited a book called "Shaman Woman Mainline Lady" an anthology of writings on the drug experience in literature - this included one piece by Louisa May Alcott. Winona Ryder was later to star as Jo in this author's Little Women (1994). She moved with her parents to Petaluma (near San Francisco) when she was ten and enrolled in acting classes at the American Conservatory Theater. At 13 she had a video audition to the film Desert Bloom (1986), but didn't get the part. Director David Seltzer (I), however, spotted her and cast her in Lucas (1986). When telephoned to ask how she'd like to have her name appear on the credits, she suggested Ryder as her father's Mitch Ryder album was playing the background. Ryder was selected for the part of Mary Corleone in The Godfather: Part III (1990), but had to drop out of the role after catching the flu from the strain of doing the films Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael (1990) and Mermaids (1990) back to back. She said she didn't want to let everyone down by doing a substandard performance. She later made The Age of Innocence (1993) which was directed by Martin Scorsese, who she believes to be "the best director in the world".
- She has a younger brother 'Uri Horowitz' (qv) (named after 'Yuri Gagarin' (qv)), an older half-brother 'Jubal Palmer' (qv) and an older half-sister 'Sunyata Palmer' (qv).
- November 6, 2002. She was found guilty of vandalism and grand theft in connection with the shoplifting charges dating from back on December 12, 2001. Sentencing is scheduled for December 6, 2002. She was acquitted of a third charge, burglary.
- She is also into music and plays the guitar. Her favorite band at one point was 'The Replacements', but she also loves 'Tom Waits' (qv), 'Cocteau Twins' (qv), 'Wilco' (qv) and many others.
- (1997) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- The rock group, "The Wynona Ryders" named themselves after her.
- Broke her arm during the filming of _Mr. Deeds (2002)_ (qv), in the scene where she and 'Adam Sandler (I)' (qv) are riding bikes down a flight of stairs.
- Her December 22, 1999, guest spot on _"The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" (1992)_ (qv) was her second-ever appearance on a talk show. She did it to promote _Girl, Interrupted (1999)_ (qv), the first film on which she served as executive producer. She clearly had jitters but settled in comfortably. She made her first appearance on _"The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986)_ (qv) with _Mermaids (1990)_ (qv) co-star 'Cher (I)' (qv).
- She was given an honorary Master of Fine Arts degree from the American Conservatory Theater.