Oct. 29th, 1971
Winona, Minnesota, USA
Winona Ryder's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Winona Ryder was born Winona Horowitz and named after the town in which she was born, Winona Minnesota. She grew up in a ranch commune in Northern California where there was no electricity. She is the Goddaughter of Timothy Leary and her parents were friends of Beat poet Allen Ginsberg and once edited a book called "Shaman Woman Mainline Lady" an anthology of writings on the drug experience in literature - this included one piece by Louisa May Alcott. Winona Ryder was later to star as Jo in this author's Little Women (1994). She moved with her parents to Petaluma (near San Francisco) when she was ten and enrolled in acting classes at the American Conservatory Theater. At 13 she had a video audition to the film Desert Bloom (1986), but didn't get the part. Director David Seltzer (I), however, spotted her and cast her in Lucas (1986). When telephoned to ask how she'd like to have her name appear on the credits, she suggested Ryder as her father's Mitch Ryder album was playing the background. Ryder was selected for the part of Mary Corleone in The Godfather: Part III (1990), but had to drop out of the role after catching the flu from the strain of doing the films Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael (1990) and Mermaids (1990) back to back. She said she didn't want to let everyone down by doing a substandard performance. She later made The Age of Innocence (1993) which was directed by Martin Scorsese, who she believes to be "the best director in the world".
- Most of her early childhood was spent in Petaluma,Sonoma county. The family spent some time in Columbia with Chilean revolutionaries in the mid-70s. They moved to a 300 acre commune in Elk, Mendocino County with seven other families in the late 1970s.
- (1997) Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the World.
- She is the 2,165th star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Her great friend, 'Anthony Hopkins' (qv) attended the ceremony. November 2000.
- Her participation in _The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things (2004)_ (qv) was reported by Italian newspapers months before the official announcements were made; Ryder claims she met author 'J.T. LeRoy' (qv) in 1993 at an opera.
- Had to turn down the role of Alice Sutton in _Conspiracy Theory (1997)_ (qv), which went to 'Julia Roberts (I)' (qv), because of scheduling conflicts.
- Born at 11:00am, CDT.
- Has done various commercials for cars (Subaru), coffee (Café Latté) and for Italian designer 'Giorgio Armani' (qv). Also participated in a clothing campaign (2003) for designer and friend Marc Jacobs (IV).
- Her favorite book is 'J.D. Salinger' (qv)'s "The Catcher in the Rye." She says she owns every paperback edition and translations.