Nov. 27th, 1956
Long Island, New York, USA
William Fichtner's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
William Edward Fichtner (born November 27, 1956) is an American actor. He is best known for his roles as Sheriff Tom Underlay on Invasion, as Alexander Mahone on Prison Break and as Ken Rosenberg in the video games Grand Theft Auto: Vice City and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Born at Mitchel Air Force Base in East Meadow, New York, and was raised in Cheektowaga, New York, the son of Patricia A. (née Steitz) and William E. Fichtner. He is of German descent. He graduated from Maryvale High School in 1974.
Fichtner's first roles were in soap operas such as As the World Turns (1956) and sitcoms like Grace Under Fire (1993). He has also been in films such as Armageddon (1998), Empire Falls (2005), uncredited in Mr. & Mrs. Smith (2005) as 'The Marriage Counselor'. A fan of the Buffalo Sabres, Fichtner always stays true to his roots.
His film credits include Contact, Heat, Armageddon, Go, Equilibrium, Black Hawk Down, The Perfect Storm, The Longest Yard, Crash, and Ultraviolet. Mainly a character actor, one of Fichtner's few leading roles is in Passion of Mind, also starring 'Demi Moore' and 'Stellan Skarsgård'. For his role in Crash he won a Screen Actors Guild Outstanding Performance Award and a "Best Acting Ensemble" Award from Broadcast Film Critics Choice.
Fichtner also starred in the science fiction drama series Invasion as Sheriff Tom Underlay. After Invasion was cancelled, Fichtner was chosen to play Agent Alexander Mahone in the second, third and fourth seasons (2006–2009) of Prison Break. Later that year, he also presented an award at the National Hockey League award show. He also appears in The West Wing episode, "The Supremes" as Christopher Mulready, a brilliant conservative judge nominated to the Supreme Court. Fichtner also had a role as the Gotham National Bank manager in the feature film The Dark Knight, and as Jurgen in Equilibrium; both action movies feature 'Christian Bale'.
In June 2009, Fichtner signed on to guest star on Entourage playing TV producer Phil Yagoda, who is trying to remake his hit 1990s teen series.
His most recent film was 2011's Drive Angry.
- Attended high school at Maryvale High School in Cheektowaga, New York.
- Is an avid hockey fan, particularly his favorite team the Buffalo Sabres. Once presented an award at the NHL Awards for the 2006/2007 season on June 14 2007.
- Has four sisters: Mary, Margaret, Pamela, and Patricia.
- Graduated from SUNY Brockport in 1978 with a Bachelor of Science degree in criminal justice.
- One of 115 people invited to join to the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts & Sciences .
- His sister is a major in the USAF.
- Attended SUNY Farmingdale before transferring to SUNY Brockport.
- His sister teaches art at Lakeland High School in Shrub Oak, New York.