Sep. 25th, 1968
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Will Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Independence Day 3
2013 - The Last Pharaoh
2013 - Independence Day 2
2012 - Men in Black III
2008 - Hancock
2008 - Seven Pounds
2007 - I Am Legend
2006 - The Pursuit of Happyness
2005 - Hitch
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2004 - Jersey Girl
2004 - Shark Tale
2004 - I, Robot
2003 - Bad Boys II
2003 - Tupac: Resurrection
2002 - Men In Black II
2001 - Ali
2000 - The Legend of Bagger Vance
1999 - Wild Wild West
1998 - Enemy of the State
1997 - Men in Black
1996 - Independence Day
1995 - Bad Boys
1993 - Six Degrees of Separation
1993 - Made in America
1992 - Where The Day Takes You
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Exonerated Former Prisoner (segment "Exonerated")
Del Spooner in 'I
Himself - Guest
Will Smith was the second of four children of Caroline (school board employee) and Willard C Smith Sr. (owner of a refrigeration company). Smith is of both African American and Native American heritage. He grew up in middle class area in West Philadelphia called Wynnefield. Will attended the Overbrook High School located in the Overbrook section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He got the nickname 'Prince' because of the way he could charm his way out of trouble. Bright student Will also signed up with the high-status Julia Reynolds Masterman Laboratory and Demonstration School in Philadelphia.
Pursuing music, he met Jeff Townes at a party and they soon began performing together as DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. When the duo took off in popularity, Smith made and spent a lot of money on a house, cars and jewelry; leading to his near bankruptcy in his early twenties.
Luckily, in 1989, he met Benny Medina, who had an idea for a sitcom based on his life in Beverly Hills. Smith loved the idea as did NBC which put on the "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (1990). The plot was simple -Will basically played himself; a street-smart West Philly kid transplanted to Beverly Hills. The series lasted 6 years. During that time, he ventured into movies where the critics took note of him in Six Degrees of Separation (1993). With the success that came with the action picture Bad Boys (1995), Will's movie career was set. He had a huge Blockbuster hit with Independence Day (1996) where he plays the alien-battling Marine Corps Captain Steven Hiller.
- Gained a place in the Guinness World Records book for most public appearances in 12 hours, by attending three red carpet "premieres" for _Hitch (2005/I)_ (qv) on 22nd February 2005. He walked the red carpet and introduced the film at Manchester, Birmingham, and finally for the premiere in London, England.
- Ranked #30 on VH1's 50 Greatest Hip Hop Artists along with DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince.
- (October 2005) He and 'Jada Pinkett Smith' (qv) were forced to leave their home in California because a bush fire threatened to destroy it and several other houses in the same area.
- Has said he based his character Captain Steven Hiller in _Independence Day (1996)_ (qv) on his favorite big screen hero, 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv), most notably his performances of Han Solo in _Star Wars (1977)_ (qv) and its sequels.
- Holds the record of appearing in the most consecutive $100 million-grossing movies (8).
- Is supposedly a huge fan of the Swedish well-known (but barely known in the U.S.) melodic heavy metal band Soilwork.
- Is often called "Mr. July" by the media due to the fact that most of his summer blockbusters open in July.
- Ranked #14 on Premiere's 2006 "Power 50" list. Had ranked #18 in 2005. He is the second-highest ranked actor, behind only 'Tom Cruise' (qv).