Sep. 25th, 1968
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Will Smith's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Focus
2014 - Winter's Tale
2013 - After Earth
2013 - Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues
2009 - The Boys: The Sherman Brothers' Story
2008 - Seven Pounds
2008 - Hancock
2007 - I Am Legend
2006 - The Pursuit of Happyness
2005 - Hitch
2004 - I, Robot
2004 - Shark Tale
2004 - The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing
2004 - Era uma vez...um pai
2003 - Tupac: Resurrection
2003 - Bad Boys II
2001 - Ali
2001 - Ali
2001 - Ali
2000 - The Legend of Bagger Vance
1999 - Wild Wild West
1998 - Enemy of the State
1996 - Independence Day
1995 - Bad Boys
1993 - Made in America
1993 - Six Degrees of Separation
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Exonerated Former Prisoner (segment "Exonerated")
Will Smith (born September 25, 1968) was the second of four children of Caroline (school board employee) and Willard C Smith Sr. (owner of a refrigeration company). Smith is of both African American and Native American heritage. He grew up in middle class area in West Philadelphia called Wynnefield. Will attended the Overbrook High School located in the Overbrook section of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He got the nickname 'Prince' because of the way he could charm his way out of trouble. Bright student Will also signed up with the high-status Julia Reynolds Masterman Laboratory and Demonstration School in Philadelphia.
Pursuing music, he met Jeff Townes at a party and they soon began performing together as DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince. When the duo took off in popularity, Smith made and spent a lot of money on a house, cars and jewelry; leading to his near bankruptcy in his early twenties.
Luckily, in 1989, he met Benny Medina, who had an idea for a sitcom based on his life in Beverly Hills. Smith loved the idea as did NBC which put on the The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990). The plot was simple -Will basically played himself; a street-smart West Philly kid transplanted to Beverly Hills. The series lasted 6 years. During that time, he ventured into movies where the critics took note of him in Six Degrees of Separation (1993). With the success that came with the action picture Bad Boys (1995), Will's movie career was set. He had a huge Blockbuster hit with Independence Day (1996) where he plays the alien-battling Marine Corps Captain Steven Hiller.
Smith married Sheree Zampino in (1992). They had one son, Willard Carroll "Trey" Smith III, (November 11, 1992), and divorced in (1995). Trey appeared in his father's music video for the 1998 single "Just the Two of Us".
Smith married actress 'Jada Koren Pinkett' in (1997). Together they have two children: 'Jaden Christopher Syre Smith' (born 1998), his co-star in The Pursuit of Happyness, and 'Willow Camille Reign Smith' (born 2000), who appeared as his daughter in I Am Legend. Smith and his brother Harry own Treyball Development Inc., a Beverly Hills-based company named after Trey. Smith and his family reside in Los Angeles, California.
- Is often called "Mr. July" by the media due to the fact that most of his summer blockbusters open in July.
- An animated caricature of him appeared in "Men in Black: The Series" (1997)_ (the animated series adaptation of _Men In Black (1997)_), alongside a caricature of his MIB co-star 'Tommy Lee Jones' (qv), set against a shot that parodied one of the famous low angle shots of a building being threatened by a flying saucer, an in-joke reference to Smith's 1996 hit _"Men in Black: The Series" (1997)_ (qv), which preceded Men In Black.
- Along with early partner DJ Jazzy Jeff ('Jeffrey A. Townes' (qv)), was the first to start scratching records and started the trend in the early '80s.
- Met wife 'Jada Pinkett Smith' (qv) when she tried out for the role of his girlfriend on _"The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" (1990)_ (qv). The role eventually went to 'Nia Long' (qv).
- In the 1998 rap lyrics of "Gettin' Jiggy", 'Will Smith (I)' (qv) says that 'Muhammad Ali (I)' (qv) would call him "The Greatest." Two and a half years later, he played the title role in _Ali (2001)_ (qv).
- Had a chart-hit together with DJ Jazzy Jeff.
- First hip-hop artist to be nominated for an Academy Award.
- His character from _Men in Black (1997)_ (qv), Agent Jay, was not originally written to specifically be a black man. In fact, the role was offered to Caucasian actors 'Chris O'Donnell (I)' (qv) and 'David Schwimmer (I)' (qv) before Smith accepted the part.