Aug. 7th, 1955
Cartersville, Georgia, USA
Wayne Knight's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Actor Wayne Knight achieved television immortality assaying the role of the overweight mailman Newman, nemesis of the eponymous lead character in the classic TV series "Seinfeld" (1990). He also appears in one of the most notorious scenes in American cinema, as one of the detectives interrogating 'Sharon Stone (I)' in Basic Instinct (1992).
Wayne Knight was born on August 7, 1955 in Cartersville, Georgia, where he was raised and lived until matriculating at the University of Georgia. Despite being an honor student, Knight left university before taking a degree to join the Barter Theatre company in Abingdon, Virginia, one of the premier regional theaters in the country. Knight polished his craft at the as part of the repertory company, which gained him his Equity union card. Now a professional actor, Knight moved to New York City, where he made his Broadway debut by replacing 'Jonathan Hadary' in 'Albert Innaurato's award winning play "Gemini" at the Circle Rep. Since then he has established himself as a leading character actor in television, film and on the stage, and as a voice-artist in cartoons.
- Before landing the role of Newman in _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv), he had auditioned for the role of George Costanza.
- Held his wedding ceremony in 'Michael Richards (I)' (qv)' house.
- While attending college in Georgia, was told by a theater professor that he would never make it as an actor.
- He attended the University of Georgia for a short time.
- After being told by his doctors that he was approaching morbid obesity, Knight embarked upon a diet-and-exercise program that allowed him to lose 117 lbs, dropping his weight from 327 to 210 lbs
- The first reference to "Newman" on _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv) has the unseen character attempting suicide by jumping out of Jerry's building. In the original episode, the voice of "Newman" is supplied by 'Larry David (I)' (qv) (co-creator of _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv)). On the syndicated version, Wayne Knight's voice was dubbed in.
- Performed at the Barter Theater in Abingdon, Virginia, after he dropped out of college.
- Has worn the same pair of his trademark glasses since his role in _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv).