Aug. 7th, 1955
Cartersville, Georgia, USA
Wayne Knight's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2008 - Kung Fu Panda
2008 - Punisher: War Zone
2004 - Black Cloud
2003 - Cheaper by the Dozen
2001 - Rat Race
1999 - Toy Story 2
1999 - My Favorite Martian
1999 - Tarzan
1997 - Hercules
1997 - For Richer or Poorer
1996 - Space Jam
1995 - To Die For
1993 - Jurassic Park
1992 - Basic Instinct
1991 - JFK
1991 - Dead Again
1991 - V.I. Warshawski
1989 - Born on the Fourth of July
1987 - Dirty Dancing
1979 - The Wanderers
Guest TV Roles
Guardian of the Friend Zone (Voiced)
Jimmy Walpert III
Actor Wayne Knight achieved television immortality assaying the role of the overweight mailman Newman, nemesis of the eponymous lead character in the classic TV series "Seinfeld" (1990). He also appears in one of the most notorious scenes in American cinema, as one of the detectives interrogating 'Sharon Stone (I)' in Basic Instinct (1992).
Wayne Knight was born on August 7, 1955 in Cartersville, Georgia, where he was raised and lived until matriculating at the University of Georgia. Despite being an honor student, Knight left university before taking a degree to join the Barter Theatre company in Abingdon, Virginia, one of the premier regional theaters in the country. Knight polished his craft at the as part of the repertory company, which gained him his Equity union card. Now a professional actor, Knight moved to New York City, where he made his Broadway debut by replacing 'Jonathan Hadary' in 'Albert Innaurato's award winning play "Gemini" at the Circle Rep. Since then he has established himself as a leading character actor in television, film and on the stage, and as a voice-artist in cartoons.
- Has worn the same pair of his trademark glasses since his role in _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv).
- Held his wedding ceremony in 'Michael Richards (I)' (qv)' house.
- He attended the University of Georgia for a short time.
- The first reference to "Newman" on _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv) has the unseen character attempting suicide by jumping out of Jerry's building. In the original episode, the voice of "Newman" is supplied by 'Larry David (I)' (qv) (co-creator of _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv)). On the syndicated version, Wayne Knight's voice was dubbed in.
- While attending college in Georgia, was told by a theater professor that he would never make it as an actor.
- Performed at the Barter Theater in Abingdon, Virginia, after he dropped out of college.
- Reports claim he was the first person to be cast for _Jurassic Park (1993)_ (qv) after 'Steven Spielberg' (qv) saw him in the "interview scene" of _Basic Instinct (1992)_ (qv).
- Before landing the role of Newman in _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv), he had auditioned for the role of George Costanza.