Jul. 18th, 1967
New York City, New York, USA
Vin Diesel's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Furious 7
2015 - The Last Witch Hunter
2014 - Guardians of the Galaxy
2013 - Riddick
2011 - Fast Five
2009 - Fast & Furious
2008 - Babylon A.D.
2006 - Find Me Guilty
2006 - The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift
2005 - The Pacifier
2004 - The Chronicles of Riddick
2003 - A Man Apart
2002 - xXx
2001 - The Fast and the Furious
2000 - Pitch Black
2000 - Boiler Room
1999 - The Iron Giant
1998 - Saving Private Ryan
1997 - Strays
1990 - Awakenings
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Vin Diesel (born Mark Sinclair Vincent; July 18, 1967) is an American actor, producer, director, and screenwriter. He came to prominence in the late 1990s, and first became known for appearing in Steven Spielberg's Saving Private Ryan in 1998. He is most known for his portrayals of Riddick in The Chronicles of Riddick trilogy (2001–present), and of Dominic Toretto in The Fast and the Furious film series (2001–present), two franchises in which he also acted as producer.
Diesel was born in New York City. His mother, Delora Sherleen (Sinclair) Vincent, is an astrologer. Diesel has stated that he is "of ambiguous ethnicity". His mother's background includes Scottish, English, and German. He has never met his biological father, and has stated that "all I know from my mother is that I have connections to many different cultures". Diesel has self-identified as "definitely a person of colour". Diesel has stated that his parents' relationship was illegal in some parts of the United States due to anti-miscegenation laws. He was raised by his Caucasian mother and African-American stepfather, Irving H. Vincent, an acting instructor and theater manager.
He made his stage debut at age seven when he appeared in the children's play Dinosaur Door, written by Barbara Garson. The play was produced at Theater for the New City in New York's Greenwich Village. His involvement in the play came about when he, his brother, and some friends had broken into Theater for the New City's space on Jane Street with the intent to vandalize it. They were confronted by the theater's artistic director, Crystal Field, who, instead of calling the police, handed them scripts and offered them parts in the upcoming show.
Diesel remained involved with the theater throughout adolescence, going on to attend the city's Hunter College, where his creative writing studies led him to begin screenwriting. He has identified himself as a "multi-faceted" actor as a result of early difficulties finding roles due to his mixed heritage. He changed his name to Vin Diesel while working as a bouncer at the New York nightclub Tunnel, because one's real name is not usually given out in that business. The name "Vin" is simply a shortened version of "Vincent". He received the nickname "Diesel" from his friends, who said he ran off diesel fuel, referring to his non-stop energy.
In 2011, Diesel returned for Fast Five, the fifth film in the series, and reprised the role again in Fast & Furious 6 (2013). He reprised his role as Riddick again in the third installment simply titled Riddick, which released in September 2013. In April 2013, Diesel announced that Fast & Furious 7 would be released in July 2014, with production scheduled to begin in August 2013. Diesel will be voicing Groot in upcoming Marvel Cinematic Universe film Guardians of the Galaxy. In August 2013, Diesel earned a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
Diesel is noted for his recognizably deep voice; he has said that his voice broke at around age 15, giving him a mature sounding voice on the telephone. He has a twin brother, Paul, a younger brother, Tim, and a sister, Samantha. Around 2001, Diesel dated his Fast and the Furious co-star, Michelle Rodriguez.
Diesel has a daughter, Hania Riley (born 2008), and a son with his girlfriend, Mexican model Paloma Jimenez. Speaking to An tEolas, an Irish newspaper, Diesel stated he has been seen as a hard man, but is in touch with his soft side as a father. Diesel claims that he prefers dating in Europe, where he is less likely to be recognized and where celebrities are not romantically linked to each other. He prefers to maintain his privacy regarding his personal life: "I'm not gonna put it out there on a magazine cover like some other actors. I come from the Harrison Ford,'Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro, Al Pacino code of silence".
Diesel has expressed his love for the Dominican Republic, and how he relates to its multicultural facets. He is also acquainted with its president, Leonel Fernández, and appeared in one of Fernández's earlier campaign ads. Los Bandoleros, a short film directed by Diesel, was also filmed in the Dominican Republic. Diesel has played Dungeons & Dragons for over 20 years, and wrote the foreword for the commemorative book 30 Years of Adventure: A Celebration of Dungeons & Dragons. In the 30th anniversary issue of Dragon magazine, it was revealed that Diesel had a fake tattoo of his character's name, Melkor, on his stomach while filming xXx.
- Was listed as a potential nominee on both the 2003 and 2004 Razzie Award nominating ballots. He was listed as a suggestion for the Worst Actor category on the 2003 ballot for his performances in the films _Knockaround Guys (2001)_ (qv) and _xXx (2002)_ (qv). And was listed as a suggestion again on the nominating ballot in the Worst Actor category the next year for his role in _A Man Apart (2003)_ (qv). He did not receive either nomination. The following year though, he finally received his first Razzie nomination for Worst Actor in the film _The Chronicles of Riddick (2004)_ (qv). However he didn't "win".
- Has a fraternal twin brother, 'Paul Vincent (IV)' (qv), who is a film editor.
- He and his girlfriend, Paloma Jimenez, welcomed their first child, a girl, on Apirl 2nd, 2008.
- Was offered the role of Matt Murdock/Daredevil in _Daredevil (2003)_ (qv) that eventually went to 'Ben Affleck' (qv).
- He gained 35 pounds so he could portray "Fat Jackie" in _Find Me Guilty (2006)_ (qv).
- Is the cousin of rapper/producer 'Kwame (I)' (qv) "The Boy Genius". Kwame says if you watch his old videos, you'll see Vin in a few of them.
- Revolution Studios wanted him for the title role in _Hellboy (2004)_ (qv), but director 'Guillermo del Toro' (qv) thought that 'Ron Perlman' (qv) was the perfect choice for the role, and wouldn't direct the movie if he wasn't cast.
- Once worked as a telemarketer, selling light bulbs.