Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Viggo Mortensen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- Spent a couple weeks in Russia prior to filming _Eastern Promises (2007)_ (qv) to research his role and better understand his character.
- Brother of 'Walter Mortensen' (qv).
- Voted #14 in Elle (France) Magazine's "15 Sexiest Men" poll (June 2007).
- Ranked #17 on Channel 4's 100 Greatest Sex Symbols in the world.
- Has dual citizenship, American and Danish, as his father is a Danish citizen and his mother American.
- Choosen by Empire Magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Movie Stars in the world (#69) 2007.
- While filming "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy in New Zealand, he would go surfing with the other actors in their spare time. One day he suffered an accident which left a bruise on the right side of his face. As a result, director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) had to shoot only the left side of his face in the entire Moria sequence.
- Speaks fluent English, Spanish, Danish, and French, but he also speaks Swedish and Norwegian reasonably well.