Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Detective Eddie Trumbull
Himself - Guest
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- Graduated from St. Lawrence University in Canton, New York in 1980 with a degree in Government and Spanish.
- Admitted in an interview that when he first started out as an actor his agents encouraged him to change his name to "Vic Morten", obviously he refused.
- Ranked #19 on Tropopkin's Top 25 Most Intriguing People [Issue #100]
- It is well-known that his father is Danish and his mother American, but also his grandmother was from Trondheim, Norway.
- Got so into his character of Aragorn that director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) once addressed him as Aragorn for over half an hour, and Mortensen didn't even realize it.
- Worked as a translator for the Swedish hockey team during the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid and was at the 'miracle' game between the Soviet Union and United States.
- At first, turned down the part of Aragorn of Lord of the Rings. His son convinced him to do the part.
- His father's name is also Viggo. His mother's name is Grace.