Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Viggo Mortensen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Jauja
2014 - The Two Faces of January
2011 - A Dangerous Method
2009 - The People Speak
2008 - Good
2008 - Appaloosa
2007 - Eastern Promises
2006 - Alatriste
2005 - A History of Violence
2004 - Hidalgo
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - 28 Days
1999 - A Walk on the Moon
1998 - Psycho
1998 - A Perfect Murder
1997 - G.I. Jane
1996 - Daylight
1996 - The Portrait of a Lady
1995 - The Prophecy
1995 - Crimson Tide
1995 - The Passion of Darkly Noon
1994 - Floundering
1993 - The Young Americans
1993 - American Yakuza
1993 - American Yakuza
1991 - The Indian Runner
1990 - The Reflecting Skin
1990 - Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
1990 - Young Guns II
1988 - Fresh Horses
1985 - Witness
Guest TV Roles[Complete List]
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- In _Eastern Promises (2007)_ (qv) his Russian/Ukrainian dialect coach was 'Olegar Fedoro' (qv).
- His grandfather was from Canada.
- Has two younger brothers, Walter and Charles. They are both geologists.
- While filming "The Lord of The Rings" trilogy in New Zealand, he would go surfing with the other actors in their spare time. One day he suffered an accident which left a bruise on the right side of his face. As a result, director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) had to shoot only the left side of his face in the entire Moria sequence.
- Was invited to join the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) in June 2004.
- Ranked #19 on Tropopkin's Top 25 Most Intriguing People [Issue #100]
- As Viggo lived in Argentina as a child, he is a fan of Argentine soccer team San Lorenzo (real name of the team: "San Lorenzo of Almagro", from Buenos Aires City).Viggo usually wear clothes and accessories with this team's colors (red & blue) the last time in public, at the Rome Festival, in the "Alatriste" Premiere.
- Speaks fluent English, Spanish, Danish, and French, but he also speaks Swedish and Norwegian reasonably well.