Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Viggo Mortensen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2011 - A Dangerous Method
2009 - The Road
2009 - The People Speak
2008 - Good
2008 - Appaloosa
2007 - Eastern Promises
2006 - Alatriste
2005 - A History of Violence
2004 - Hidalgo
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - 28 Days
1999 - A Walk on the Moon
1998 - A Perfect Murder
1998 - Psycho
1997 - G.I. Jane
1996 - Daylight
1996 - The Portrait of a Lady
1995 - Crimson Tide
1995 - The Prophecy
1995 - The Passion of Darkly Noon
1994 - Floundering
1993 - Carlito's Way
1993 - American Yakuza
1993 - The Young Americans
1991 - The Indian Runner
1990 - The Reflecting Skin
1990 - Young Guns II
1990 - Leatherface: Texas Chainsaw Massacre III
1988 - Prison
1988 - Fresh Horses
1985 - Witness
Guest TV Roles
Detective Eddie Trumbull
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- Ranked #17 on Channel 4's 100 Greatest Sex Symbols in the world.
- As Viggo lived in Argentina as a child, he is a fan of Argentine soccer team San Lorenzo (real name of the team: "San Lorenzo of Almagro", from Buenos Aires City).Viggo usually wear clothes and accessories with this team's colors (red & blue) the last time in public, at the Rome Festival, in the "Alatriste" Premiere.
- Father of 'Henry Mortensen' (qv).
- Filmed scenes for _The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)_ (qv), but they were all cut out.
- While working on the Lord of the Rings trilogy, he asked writer/director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) to revise scripts so that his character Aragorn would be speaking in the Elvish language in several scenes of all three movies.
- Is one of four "Lord of the Rings" stars to star, pre-"Rings," with 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv). He starred with Ford in _Witness (1985)_ (qv). Ford starred with 'John Rhys-Davies' (qv) (Gimli) in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv) and _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv), 'Sean Bean' (qv) (Boromir) in _Patriot Games (1992)_ (qv) and 'Miranda Otto' (qv) (Eowyn) in _What Lies Beneath (2000)_ (qv).
- In _Eastern Promises (2007)_ (qv) his Russian/Ukrainian dialect coach was 'Olegar Fedoro' (qv).
- Worked as a translator for the Swedish hockey team during the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid and was at the 'miracle' game between the Soviet Union and United States.