Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Viggo Mortensen's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- Got so into his character of Aragorn that director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) once addressed him as Aragorn for over half an hour, and Mortensen didn't even realize it.
- Is also a jazz musician - he has released three CDs so far.
- In _Eastern Promises (2007)_ (qv) his Russian/Ukrainian dialect coach was 'Olegar Fedoro' (qv).
- Although their divorce only became final in 1998, he and his former wife, 'Exene Cervenka' (qv), separated in late 1990/early 1991 after less than 3 years of marriage but remain close friends often working together and co-parenting their son.
- As Viggo lived in Argentina as a child, he is a fan of Argentine soccer team San Lorenzo (real name of the team: "San Lorenzo of Almagro", from Buenos Aires City).Viggo usually wear clothes and accessories with this team's colors (red & blue) the last time in public, at the Rome Festival, in the "Alatriste" Premiere.
- He received the scar on his upper lip after scratching his face on a barbed wire fence at a Halloween party.
- His grandfather was from Canada.
- Writes poetry in his spare time.