Oct. 20th, 1958
Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Detective Eddie Trumbull
Himself - Guest
Since his screen debut as a young Amish Farmer in Peter Weir's Witness (1985), Viggo Mortensen's career has been marked by a steady string of well-rounded performances. Critics have continually recognized his work in over thirty movies, including such diverse projects as Jane Campion's The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Sean Penn (I)'s The Indian Runner (1991), Brian De Palma's Carlito's Way (1993), Ridley Scott's G.I. Jane (1997), Tony Scott (I)'s Crimson Tide (1995), Andrew Davis (I)'s A Perfect Murder (1998), Ray Loriga's La pistola de mi hermano (1997), and Tony Goldwyn's A Walk on the Moon (1999).
Born in New York to a Danish father and an American mother, Mortensen spent the early part of his childhood in Manhattan. His family traveled a great deal and he spent several years living in Venezuela, Argentina and Denmark. He began acting in New York, studying with Warren Robertson (I). He appeared in several plays and movies, and eventually moved to Los Angeles, where his performance in "Bent" at the Coast Playhouse earned him a Drama-logue Critic's Award. Mortensen is also an accomplished poet, photographer and painter.
- After his parents divorced when he was eleven, he moved to new York with his mother and two younger brothers.
- Broke a tooth while filming a fight sequence for _The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002)_ (qv); he asked the crew if they would glue it back on so he could finish the scene.
- Was in remakes of two 'Alfred Hitchcock (I)' (qv) films in the same year: _A Perfect Murder (1998)_ (qv) - a remake of _Dial M for Murder (1954)_ (qv) - and _Psycho (1998)_ (qv).
- Has been photographing for years, recently debuted with an exhibition at the Robert Mann Gallery in NYC. -- American Photo, July/August 2000.
- Is also a jazz musician - he has released three CDs so far.
- Is one of four "Lord of the Rings" stars to star, pre-"Rings," with 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv). He starred with Ford in _Witness (1985)_ (qv). Ford starred with 'John Rhys-Davies' (qv) (Gimli) in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv) and _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv), 'Sean Bean' (qv) (Boromir) in _Patriot Games (1992)_ (qv) and 'Miranda Otto' (qv) (Eowyn) in _What Lies Beneath (2000)_ (qv).
- His grandfather was from Canada.
- Purchased the horses he rode in the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy and _Hidalgo (2004)_ (qv) after the films were completed.