Oct. 15th, 1968
Indio, California, USA
Vanessa Marcil's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Bannen Way
1996 - The Rock
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Hostess
Det. Carmen Olivera
Dr. Olivia Victor
Vanessa Marcil was born on October 15, 1968, in Indio, California, USA, to Peter Ortiz, a contractor, and Patricia Marcil Ortiz, an herbalist. She grew up in Palm Desert with her parents and her two older sisters Tina and Sherry and her older brother Sam. When Vanessa was 8, she started acting in plays and even performed her own song at a 6th grade talent show in which she won. Soon afterward, she began pursuing an acting career and starred in several theatre productions before landing the role of Brenda Barrett on the ABC daytime soap opera "General Hospital" (1963) in 1992.
She made her feature film debut in The Rock (1996) starring opposite Nicolas Cage as well as starring in a made-for-television movie To Love, Honor and Deceive (1996) (TV) in 1996. She stayed with "General Hospital" (1963) until 1998 and then left to join the cast of "Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990) as Gina Kincaid, a former ice skater replacing Tiffani Thiessen as the show's vixen. She met actor Brian Austin Green on the show and the two had a baby together named Kassius Lijah Marcil-Green born in March of 2002.
In the fall of 2002, she made her long awaited return to "General Hospital" (1963) reprising her role as Brenda Barrett, garnering her a Daytime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Supporting Actress" in 2003. Vanessa later joined the cast of the NBC drama "Las Vegas" (2003) in which she stars as Sam Marquez, a casino host. Currently, she resides in Los Angeles with her son Kassius.
- She has suffered from agoraphobia.
- Gave birth to son, Kassius Lijah Marcil-Green, who is also the son of actor 'Brian Austin Green' (qv). Kassius was named after 'Muhammad Ali (I)' (qv) (aka Cassius Clay), of whom Brian is a fan [March 30, 2002].
- Named one of "People" magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 1996. Was offered the cover and a layout in Playboy but she declined. She is reportedly very shy about revealing her body.
- Was offered the role of Nell Porter on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) but was forced to turn it down because she had already signed on to _"Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990)_ (qv). The role was then given to 'Portia de Rossi' (qv).
- Is a vegetarian.
- Has a tattoo on her lower back of a tribal symbol representing peace and love in the universe.
- Opened Patricia House in Los Angeles, which will aid women who can no longer care for their children. Created a hotline for these women to have their babies placed in good homes.
- Her father Peter is of Mexican descent. Her mother Patricia is of French, Italian, and Portuguese descent. She is the youngest of four children. All of her family remains living in Indio, California, USA.