Oct. 15th, 1968
Indio, California, USA
Vanessa Marcil's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - The Bannen Way
1999 - Nice Guys Sleep Alone
1996 - The Rock
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Hostess
Det. Maria Olivera
Dr. Olivia Victor
Herself - Restaurant Patron
Vanessa Marcil (born October 15, 1968), in Indio, California, USA, to Peter Ortiz, a contractor, and Patricia Marcil Ortiz, an herbalist. She grew up in Palm Desert with her parents and her two older sisters Tina and Sherry and her older brother Sam. When Vanessa was 8, she started acting in plays and even performed her own song at a 6th grade talent show in which she won. Soon afterward, she began pursuing an acting career and starred in several theatre productions before landing the role of Brenda Barrett on the ABC daytime soap opera General Hospital (1963) in 1992.
She made her feature film debut in The Rock (1996) starring opposite 'Nicolas Cage' as well as starring in a made-for-television movie To Love, Honor and Deceive (1996) in 1996. She stayed with General Hospital (1963) until 1998 and then left to join the cast of Beverly Hills, 90210 (1990) as Gina Kincaid, a former ice skater replacing 'Tiffani Thiessen' as the show's vixen. She met actor 'Brian Austin Green' on the show and the two had a baby together named Kassius Lijah Marcil-Green born in March of 2002.
In the fall of 2002, she made her long awaited return to General Hospital (1963) reprising her role as Brenda Barrett, garnering her a Daytime Emmy Award for "Outstanding Supporting Actress" in 2003. Vanessa later joined the cast of the NBC drama Las Vegas (2003) in which she stars as Sam Marquez, a casino host. Currently, she resides in Los Angeles with her son Kassius.
- Attended College of the Desert, Palm Desert, California, where she studied law.
- Was offered the role of Nell Porter on _"Ally McBeal" (1997)_ (qv) but was forced to turn it down because she had already signed on to _"Beverly Hills, 90210" (1990)_ (qv). The role was then given to 'Portia de Rossi' (qv).
- Named in honor of actress 'Vanessa Redgrave' (qv).
- As a child, she was given the option of skipping second grade along with a friend. She and her parents decided against it.
- Opened Patricia House in Los Angeles, which will aid women who can no longer care for their children. Created a hotline for these women to have their babies placed in good homes.
- Named one of "People" magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 1996. Was offered the cover and a layout in Playboy but she declined. She is reportedly very shy about revealing her body.
- Named on People magazine's "100 Most Beautiful People" list (2008), reportedly for being a muse to musician 'Prince (I)' (qv), who wrote his 1994 song "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" about her.
- Has a tattoo on her lower back of a tribal symbol representing peace and love in the universe.