Apr. 29th, 1970
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Uma Thurman's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
2008 - The Accidental Husband
2007 - The Life Before Her Eyes
2006 - My Super Ex-Girlfriend
2005 - The Producers
2005 - Prime
2005 - Be Cool
2004 - Kill Bill Vol. 2
2003 - Paycheck
2003 - Kill Bill Vol. 1
2001 - Tape
2000 - Vatel
2000 - The Golden Bowl
1999 - Sweet and Lowdown
1998 - The Avengers
1998 - Les Miserables
1997 - Gattaca
1997 - Batman & Robin
1996 - The Truth About Cats & Dogs
1996 - Beautiful Girls
1995 - A Month by the Lake
1994 - Pulp Fiction
1993 - Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
1993 - Mad Dog and Glory
1992 - Final Analysis
1990 - Henry & June
1988 - Johnny Be Good
1988 - Dangerous Liaisons
1987 - Kiss Daddy Goodnight
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Herself - Guest
Uma Karuna Thurman, daughter of Robert Thurman (I) and Nena Thurman, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, on April 29, 1970. Uma grew up in Amherst, Massachusetts, where her father worked at Amherst College. She left boarding school at just 15, already determined to become an actress. She moved to New York to follow her dream.
A breakthrough role for the tall, blonde actress came when she played Cecile de Volanges in Dangerous Liaisons (1988). More attention came with the NC-17 rated Henry & June (1990), but it was Thurman's role in the Quentin Tarantino classic Pulp Fiction (1994) that earned her an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actress. Donning a short black wig to play femme fatale Mia Wallace opposite John Travolta's hit man Vincent Vega, Thurman earned a place in film history.
After roles in The Truth About Cats & Dogs (1996) and the Ted Demme film Beautiful Girls (1996), Thurman met her future husband Ethan Hawke on the set of Gattaca (1997).
Thurman returned to smaller films after playing the villainess Poison Ivy in the reviled Joel Schumacher effort Batman & Robin (1997) and Emma Peel in a remake of The Avengers (1998). She worked with Woody Allen and Sean Penn (I) on Sweet and Lowdown (1999), and starred in Richard Linklater's drama Tape (2001) opposite Hawke. Thurman also won a Golden Globe award for her turn in the made-for-television film Hysterical Blindness (2002) (TV), directed by Mira Nair.
A return to the mainstream spotlight came when Thurman redeemed with Quentin Tarantino for Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003), a revenge flick the two had dreamed up on the set of Pulp Fiction (1994). She also turned up in the John Woo (I) cautioner Paycheck (2003) that same year. The renewed attention was not altogether welcome because Thurman was dealing with the break-up of her marriage with Hawke at about this time. Thurman handled the situation with grace, however, and took her surging popularity in stride. She garnered critical acclaim for her work in Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004) and was hailed as Tarantino's muse. Thurman reunited with Pulp Fiction (1994) dance partner John Travolta for the Get Shorty (1995) sequel Be Cool (2005) and landed a role in The Producers (2005) after Nicole Kidman backed out of the project.
- Followed in the footsteps of both her mother and grandmother into the world of modeling.
- She is on the Board of Directors of Room to Grow, a non-profit organization founded by 'Rob Reiner' (qv), dedicated to enriching the lives of babies born into poverty throughout their critical first 3 years of development.
- Ranked as #67 in FHM's "100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005" special supplement. (2005)
- Sister of 'Dechen Thurman' (qv) and 'Ganden Thurman' (qv) and the daughter of 'Nena Thurman' (qv) and 'Robert Thurman (I)' (qv)
- Her mother, 'Nena Thurman' (qv), is a Swedish model-turned-psychotherapist, who was discovered at 16 in Stockholm by photographer 'Norman Parkinson' (qv). A nude statue of Nena's mother, Brigit Holmquist, a famous beauty and later "edle" (noble), stands in the port town of Trelleborg. 'Salvador DalÝ' (qv), introduced Nena to her first husband, 'Timothy Leary' (qv).
- (8 July 1998) Daughter, with 'Ethan Hawke' (qv), Maya Ray Thurman-Hawke born.
- (June 2000) French cosmetics firm Lancome have employed her as a spokesmodel for their company.
- Uma and 'Ethan Hawke' (qv)'s daughter's name is Maya; which is also the name of the character that Uma played in _Duke of Groove (1996) (TV)_ (qv).