Sep. 14th, 1969
New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
Tyler Perry's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Gone Girl
2010 - Why Did I Get Married Too?
2009 - Star Trek
2009 - Madea Goes To Jail
2009 - I Can Do Bad All By Myself
2008 - Meet the Browns
2008 - The Family That Preys
2007 - Why Did I Get Married
2006 - Madea's Family Reunion
2005 - Diary of a Mad Black Woman
Guest TV Roles
Himself (segment "Tyler Perry")
Himself - Audience Member
Himself - Director & Writer & Producer & Actor
Himself - Celebrity Volunteer
Tyler Perry is an American actor, director, screenwriter, playwright, producer, author, and songwriter, specializing in the gospel genre. Perry wrote and produced many stage plays during the 1990s and early 2000s.
- Has been writing plays since he was 18. As of March 2005, his eight plays have grossed over US$75 million in tickets and DVD sales.
- Attended high school with rapper Michael "Mystikal" Tyler.
- Has a 12-acre estate outside Atlanta.
- 2007 - Ranked #7 on EW's The 50 Smartest People in Hollywood.
- Before becoming a successful film-maker with _Diary of a Mad Black Woman (2005)_ (qv), he was already the owner of a successful play company that tours the country and caters to African-Americans. His plays are also recorded and sold as DVDs.
- His plays often reference _The Color Purple (1985)_ (qv), which starred 'Oprah Winfrey' (qv). He credits _"The Oprah Winfrey Show" (1986)_ (qv) with inspiring him to write.
- Often quotes famous black-focused movies such as _What's Love Got to Do with It (1993)_ (qv) and _The Color Purple (1985)_ (qv). These two are especially quoted in _Madea's Family Reunion (2006)_ (qv).