25 (passed away Sep. 13th, 1996)
Jun. 16th, 1971
East Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Tupac Shakur's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles2015 - The Big Short
2003 - Beef
2003 - Tupac: Resurrection
2002 - Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel
2000 - Freestyle: The Art of Rhyme
1997 - Gang Related
1997 - Gridlock'd
1996 - Bullet
1993 - Poetic Justice
1992 - Juice
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Musical Guest
Born in New York City, Tupac grew up primarily in Harlem. In 1984, his family moved to Baltimore, Maryland where he became good friends with Jada Pinkett Smith. His family moved again in 1988 to Oakland, California. His first breakthrough in music came in 1991 as a member of the group Digital Underground. In the same year he received individual recognition for his album "2Pacalypse Now," but this album was also the beginning of his notoriety as a leading figure of the gangsta permutation of hip-hop, with references to cop killing and sexual violence. His solo movie career also began in this year with Juice (1992), and in 1992 he co-starred with Janet Jackson (I) in Poetic Justice (1993).
But law confrontations were soon to come: a 15-day jail term in 1994 for assault and battery and, in 1995, a conviction for sexual assault of a female fan. He was released after serving eight months pending an appeal, but following the Tyson vs Seldon fight in Las Vegas, Nevada, he was hit by four bullets while riding in a car driven by Death Row Records chief executive 'Marion 'Suge Knight. His right lung was removed in emergency surgery and, after six days in a medical coma, he died.
- His career triumphs--a number one album and pop single-- both happened on the 13th: Rap's first double album, "All Eyez on Me" (certified by the RIAA as of December 2006 at 9 million copies sold) hit store shelves on February 13th 1996. His only number one pop single "How Do U Want It?", reached the apex of the Hot 100 on July 13th 1996. Sadly, it was on September 13th (a Friday) that Shakur succumbed to injuries sustained in a Las Vegas shooting.
- Tupac used the Roland D70 synthesizer for his album "All Eyez On Me" (as seen in an interview with MTV in 1996).
- Was cast in the movie _Woo (1998)_ (qv), but was shot five days before principal photography began.
- Was a good friend of fellow hip-hop MC 'M.C. Hammer' (qv), who also was from Oakland, California, USA.
- Cited Prince as an inspiration and sampled his music on the "All Eyez On Me" album. Shakur mentioned in an MTV interview that "he [Prince] loves women like I love women.".
- Is portrayed by 'Anthony Mackie' (qv) in _Notorious (2009)_ (qv).
- Ranked #3 on VH1's 50 Greatest Hip Hop Artists.
- He completed the 27 song "All Eyez On Me", considered by many to be his magnum opus, in only two weeks. Often cited as rap's first double album, "All Eyez" sessions began just hours after Shakur was released from jail. Released on February 13th 1996, the album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200 album chart.