25 (passed away Sep. 13th, 1996)
Jun. 16th, 1971
East Harlem, Manhattan, New York City, New York, USA
Tupac Shakur's Main TV Roles[no roles found]
Main Movie Roles2003 - Tupac: Resurrection
2002 - Tupac Shakur: Thug Angel
1997 - Gang Related
1997 - Gridlock'd
1996 - Bullet
1994 - Above The Rim
1993 - Poetic Justice
1992 - Juice
1991 - Nothing but Trouble
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Musical Guest
Born in New York City, Tupac grew up primarily in Harlem. In 1984, his family moved to Baltimore, Maryland where he became good friends with Jada Pinkett Smith. His family moved again in 1988 to Oakland, California. His first breakthrough in music came in 1991 as a member of the group Digital Underground. In the same year he received individual recognition for his album "2Pacalypse Now," but this album was also the beginning of his notoriety as a leading figure of the gangsta permutation of hip-hop, with references to cop killing and sexual violence. His solo movie career also began in this year with Juice (1992), and in 1992 he co-starred with Janet Jackson (I) in Poetic Justice (1993).
But law confrontations were soon to come: a 15-day jail term in 1994 for assault and battery and, in 1995, a conviction for sexual assault of a female fan. He was released after serving eight months pending an appeal, but following the Tyson vs Seldon fight in Las Vegas, Nevada, he was hit by four bullets while riding in a car driven by Death Row Records chief executive 'Marion 'Suge Knight. His right lung was removed in emergency surgery and, after six days in a medical coma, he died.
- His 1996 song "Me and My Girlfriend" (from the rapper's posthumously released "Don Killuminati" album) chronicles Shakur's relationship with his pistol, which he frequently carried for protection. The "finger fucking" Shakur refers to in the song is actually a euphemism for pulling the trigger. The song was covered in 2003 by Beyonce and Jay-Z with a slightly altered chorus; it reached the top ten of the American pop charts.
- He was offered a record contract at the age of 13. However, his mother refused to let him sign anything at such a young age. She felt he had a lot to learn about the world before joining the music industry.
- First music artist to have a #1 LP while being in jail
- Was cast in the movie _Woo (1998)_ (qv), but was shot five days before principal photography began.
- He read for the part of "Bubba" in _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv).
- Tupac died with less than $100,000 in the bank.
- His albums have sold 38 million copies in the USA alone.
- As a young man, Tupac also studied dance, including ballet.