Aug. 19th, 1975
Baltimore, Maryland, USA
Tracie Thoms' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Good Hair
2009 - Peter and Vandy
2008 - Rent: Filmed Live on Broadway
2007 - Death Proof
2007 - Descent
2007 - Grindhouse
2006 - The Devil Wears Prada
2005 - Rent
2004 - Brother to Brother
Guest TV Roles
Mom on Subway
[no bio found]
- In 2008, Tracie was asked to join the final Broadway cast of RENT, playing Joanne Jefferson, the role that she played in the 2005 film and had always wanted to play on stage. She accepted and was on stage from July 26 2008 until the final show on September 7, 2008.
- Has remained extremely close friends with her past co-stars 'Rosario Dawson' (qv), 'Wilson Jermaine Heredia' (qv), and 'Adrienne Wilkinson' (qv).
- Like the other seven lead characters, her character in _Rent (2005)_ (qv), Joanne, is based on a character from La Boheme. Hers was based on Alcindoro, a counselor of state. Hers is the only character whose predecessor was the opposite gender, a change made by 'Jonathan Larson' (qv) to make reference to his own ex-girlfriend leaving him for another woman.
- Graduated from Juilliard, where she was classmates with _"Wonderfalls" (2004)_ (qv) co-star 'Lee Pace' (qv).
- Her father, Donald Thoms, is VP, Production at Discovery Studios, the in-house documentary production arm of Discovery Networks. Donald also hosts the Maryland Public Television Telethons.
- Graduated from the Baltimore School for the Arts in 1993. Hosted a premiere of Rent in Baltimore as a benefit for the school in November 2005.
- Graduated from Howard University with a bachelor's in fine arts.
- Has stated publicly that she saw the original Broadway cast in the stage production of Rent and their performances inspired her to audition several times for the show (all unsuccessful). She finally had her opportunity to join the cast in 2005 when she became one of two "new" principal actors to join most of the original Broadway cast in the feature film version.