Nov. 1st, 1972
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Toni Collette's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2016 - Glassland
2014 - Lucky Them
2014 - Hector and the Search for Happiness
2014 - The Boxtrolls
2014 - Tammy
2013 - A Long Way Down
2013 - The Way, Way Back
2013 - Enough Said
2013 - Mental
2012 - Hitchcock
2011 - Fright Night
2009 - Mary and Max
2008 - How to Lose Friends & Alienate People
2008 - The Black Balloon
2007 - Evening
2006 - Like Minds
2006 - Little Miss Sunshine
2006 - The Night Listener
2005 - In Her Shoes
2004 - The Last Shot
2003 - Japanese Story
2002 - The Hours
2002 - About a Boy
2002 - Dirty Deeds
2002 - Changing Lanes
2000 - Shaft
1999 - The Sixth Sense
1998 - Velvet Goldmine
1998 - The Boys
1997 - Clockwatchers
1996 - Emma
1996 - The Pallbearer
1994 - Muriel's Wedding
1992 - Spotswood
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Guest
Herself - Guest
Toni Collette (born November 1, 1972) is an Academy Award-nominated Australian actress best known for her roles in The Sixth Sense (1999) and Little Miss Sunshine (2006).
Collette was born in Blacktown, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia. She is the first of three children born to Bob Collette, a truck driver, and Judy Collette, a customer service representative. From age 6 she was brought up in suburban Sydney. At the age of 11 she showed her phenomenal acting skills when she faked appendicitis out of boredom and longing for attention; her act was so convincing that doctors had to remove her appendix, even though the test showed nothing wrong with it.
At 16, she left school and enrolled in National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA). At that time she was a struggling actress, supporting herself by delivering pizzas. After 18 months of studies, she left NIDA for her feature film debut as Wendy Robinson opposite 'Russell Crowe' and 'Anthony Hopkins' in Spotswood (1992), and earned herself a nomination for Best Supporting Actress from the Australian Film Institute.
Collette made her stage debut with the Sydney Theatre Company, as Sonya in 'Anton Chekhov' Uncle Vanya, a performance that won her a critic's circle award as Best Newcomer. She also appeared in stage productions at the Belvoir Street Theatre under directorship of 'Geoffrey Rush'. In 1994 she won the Australian Best Actress in a lead role for her work in Muriel's Wedding (1994) for which she had to gain 40 pounds in seven weeks.
In 1995 Collette came to Hollywood with a supporting role in The Pallbearer (1996), then had a string of supporting roles. Her first lead as Diana Spencer, an Australian woman who shares the name and birthday of Princess Diana, in comedy Diana & Me (1997), was obscured by the real Diana's death which practically occurred at the same time when the movie was released. Her breakthrough came with the role as Lynn Sear in The Sixth Sense (1999), for which she quite rightly won an Academy Award nomination for Best Actress in a Supporting Role. Her latest memorable role as Sheryl, a beaten-down but loving mother, in Little Miss Sunshine (2006), is also a fine ensemble work with 'Abigail Breslin', 'Greg Kinnear', 'Steve Carell', 'Paul Dano', and 'Alan Arkin'.
Since 2003 Collette has been married to musician Dave Galafassi, with whom she recorded her singing and songwriting debut album, titled 'Beautiful Awkward Pictures' in 2006. She co-owns an independent production company in Australia, and also continues her music career as a singer. Collette is currently residing with her husband in Sydney, Australia, and owns a second home in Ireland.
- Though she vowed not to gain any more weight for movie roles, director 'Curtis Hanson (I)' (qv) convinced her to gain twenty-five pounds for her role in _In Her Shoes (2005)_ (qv). She believed it was important to her character's personality.
- Nominated for a 2000 Tony Award for her performance as "Queenie" in 'Michael John LaChiusa' (qv)'s musical "The Wild Party" on Broadway.
- Member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 2007.
- Starred as Sonya in the Sydney Theatre Company's 1992 Production of 'Anton Chekhov' (qv)'s "Uncle Vanya".
- Is only 11 years older than 'Paul Dano' (qv), who plays her son in _Little Miss Sunshine (2006)_ (qv).
- Strenuously campaigned for the role of Mrs. Lovett in _Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007)_ (qv) but ultimately lost it to 'Helena Bonham Carter' (qv).
- Lives in Potts Point, Sydney, Australia.
- Was romantically linked to actor Jonathan Rhys Meyers while the pair played a couple in Velvet Goldmine.