Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- For the 8th and final season of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv), Universal Studios gave him a bonus of $350,000, which he spent on lavish gifts, such as Rolex watches, Porsches, $1000 bonuses, for the entire cast and crew of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Appeared in the Broadway show "A Thousand Clowns" without a mustache, a rarity for Selleck.
- Member of the conservative Wednesday Morning Club in Hollywood.
- Honored by the Congressional Award in Washington, DC with the 1997 Horizon Award. The Horizon Award is a special recognition from the Joint Leadership of the United States Congress and the Congressional Award Board of Directors. The Horizon Award is presented to individuals from the private sectors who have contributed to expanding opportunities for all Americans through their own personal contributions, and who have set exceptional examples for young people through their successes in life.
- _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) named the the number one detective series of all time by "The Sleuth" TV Network.
- Joined the Detroit Tigers in 1992 for spring training. He actually took an at-bat (as a pinch hitter) in a game against the Cincinnati Reds, facing Reds' pitcher Tim Layana. Selleck ended up striking out after fouling away half a dozen pitches.
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.