Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- Is a member of the National Rifle Association and memorably sparred with 'Rosie O'Donnell' (qv) on _"The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996)_ (qv) about gun control and an advertisement in which he appeared supporting the NRA.
- The decision of choosing the leading role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv) or _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) actually haunted Selleck so much that he consulted his best friend. Together they came to the conclusion that honoring his contract with _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) was the honorable thing to do. It turned out that the shooting of the pilot for _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) was delayed for over 6 months, which would have enabled Selleck to complete the role of Indiana Jones. Ironically, while waiting in Hawaii for _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) to commence filming, 'Steven Spielberg' (qv) and 'George Lucas (I)' (qv) were also in Hawaii to shoot scenes for _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Studied acting at The Beverly Hills Playhouse with 'Milton Katselas' (qv).
- Best known for his role on TV as the title character on _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Vocally supported President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) throughout the 1980s.
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.
- Used to be part owner of The Black Orchid restaurant with 'Larry Manetti' (qv) and one other investor in Honolulu, HI.