Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Vocally supported President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) throughout the 1980s.
- Was a member of the California National Guard and was activated for the Watts riots.
- Turned down an offer to have a cameo in the _Magnum P.I. (2011)_ (qv) movie.
- For the 8th and final season of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv), Universal Studios gave him a bonus of $350,000, which he spent on lavish gifts, such as Rolex watches, Porsches, $1000 bonuses, for the entire cast and crew of _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Shaved off his trademark moustache for the 1997 film _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Once rarely seen without it, he has since kept it off for most of his stage and screen work.
- Starred in 6 failed TV pilots before hitting ratings gold.
- During the brief run of the late night _"The Chevy Chase Show" (1993)_ (qv) on Fox, he guest-starred and, as a gag, asked to be presented his 1993 Worst Supporting Actor 'Razzie' award for his performance as King Ferdinand of Spain in _Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992)_ (qv). When the Razzie was actually presented to him on the air, Selleck took it in stride and asked the entire studio audience to "blow me a raspberry." Selleck thus became the third person in Razzie history to voluntarily accept one of the Worst Achievements in Film statuettes.
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).