Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones, but was not able to take the role because he was committed to "Magnum, P.I." (1980). "Magnum" did an episode that parodied "Raiders" complete with hat, whip and booby traps.
- During the brief run of the late night _"The Chevy Chase Show" (1993)_ (qv) on Fox, he guest-starred and, as a gag, asked to be presented his 1993 Worst Supporting Actor 'Razzie' award for his performance as King Ferdinand of Spain in _Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992)_ (qv). When the Razzie was actually presented to him on the air, Selleck took it in stride and asked the entire studio audience to "blow me a raspberry." Selleck thus became the third person in Razzie history to voluntarily accept one of the Worst Achievements in Film statuettes.
- Was a member of the California National Guard and was activated for the Watts riots.
- Studied acting at The Beverly Hills Playhouse with 'Milton Katselas' (qv).
- Turned down an offer to have a cameo in the _Magnum P.I. (2011)_ (qv) movie.
- Starred in 6 failed TV pilots before hitting ratings gold.
- Used to be part owner of The Black Orchid restaurant with 'Larry Manetti' (qv) and one other investor in Honolulu, HI.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on _"The Dating Game" (1965)_ (qv) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.