Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Killers
2007 - Meet the Robinsons
1999 - The Love Letter
1996 - The Magic of Flight
1992 - Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
1992 - Folks!
1992 - Mr. Baseball
1990 - Quigley Down Under
1990 - 3 Men and a Little Lady
1989 - Her Alibi
1989 - An Innocent Man
1984 - Runaway
1983 - High Road to China
1978 - Coma
1976 - Midway
1972 - Daughters of Satan
1971 - The Seven Minutes
1970 - Myra Breckinridge
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Honored by the Congressional Award in Washington, DC with the 1997 Horizon Award. The Horizon Award is a special recognition from the Joint Leadership of the United States Congress and the Congressional Award Board of Directors. The Horizon Award is presented to individuals from the private sectors who have contributed to expanding opportunities for all Americans through their own personal contributions, and who have set exceptional examples for young people through their successes in life.
- Is a member of the National Rifle Association and memorably sparred with 'Rosie O'Donnell' (qv) on _"The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996)_ (qv) about gun control and an advertisement in which he appeared supporting the NRA.
- Vocally supported President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) throughout the 1980s.
- Was considered as the next President of the National Rifle Association (NRA) following the retirement of his close friend 'Charlton Heston' (qv) in 2003.
- Played competitive volleyball with the Outrigger Canoe Club and was a three-time All American selection, twice winning the over-35 division in the National Championships.
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- During the brief run of the late night _"The Chevy Chase Show" (1993)_ (qv) on Fox, he guest-starred and, as a gag, asked to be presented his 1993 Worst Supporting Actor 'Razzie' award for his performance as King Ferdinand of Spain in _Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992)_ (qv). When the Razzie was actually presented to him on the air, Selleck took it in stride and asked the entire studio audience to "blow me a raspberry." Selleck thus became the third person in Razzie history to voluntarily accept one of the Worst Achievements in Film statuettes.
- Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones, but was not able to take the role because he was committed to "Magnum, P.I." (1980). "Magnum" did an episode that parodied "Raiders" complete with hat, whip and booby traps.