Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- In the early Nineties Selleck shot a commercial for the conservative National Review. But in 1992 he made a $1,000 donation to the presidential bid of Democratic Senator 'Paul Tsongas' (qv). Five years later, New York Times columnist 'Maureen Dowd' (qv) reported that Republicans were urging Selleck to run for the Senate in California - a story Selleck quickly shot down. His political profile has been low ever since. However, in 1999 he filmed an advertisement for the National Rifle Association. "He's not a Republican," says an actor who knows him. "He's an independent.".
- Maintains a summer home in Jonesboro, Maine.
- Shaved off his trademark moustache for the 1997 film _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Once rarely seen without it, he has since kept it off for most of his stage and screen work.
- Best known for his role on TV as the title character on _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- Is a member of the National Rifle Association and memorably sparred with 'Rosie O'Donnell' (qv) on _"The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996)_ (qv) about gun control and an advertisement in which he appeared supporting the NRA.
- His only biological child is Hannah, his daughter with 'Jillie Mack' (qv). 'Kevin Selleck' (qv) is the son of his first wife, 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv), from her first marriage. Tom Selleck adopted Kevin during the marriage and has continued to treat him as a beloved son after he and 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv) divorced.
- Selleck was originally cast as Indiana Jones, but was not able to take the role because he was committed to "Magnum, P.I." (1980). "Magnum" did an episode that parodied "Raiders" complete with hat, whip and booby traps.