Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Best known for his role on TV as the title character on _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv).
- (1998) Chosen by People Magazine as one of the 50 most beautiful people in the world.
- Vocally supported President 'Ronald Reagan (I)' (qv) throughout the 1980s.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on _"The Dating Game" (1965)_ (qv) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.
- Was turned down for the lead role in the TV show _"Vega$" (1978)_ (qv), which went to 'Robert Urich (I)' (qv). Selleck and Urich once co-starred in a TV pilot (that was never picked up) called _Bunco (1977) (TV)_ (qv).
- Is a member of the National Rifle Association and memorably sparred with 'Rosie O'Donnell' (qv) on _"The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996)_ (qv) about gun control and an advertisement in which he appeared supporting the NRA.
- Publicly endorsed Senator 'John McCain (I)' (qv) in the 2008 presidential election.