Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Killers
2007 - Meet the Robinsons
1999 - The Love Letter
1996 - The Magic of Flight
1992 - Christopher Columbus: The Discovery
1992 - Folks!
1992 - Mr. Baseball
1990 - Quigley Down Under
1990 - 3 Men and a Little Lady
1989 - Her Alibi
1989 - An Innocent Man
1984 - Runaway
1983 - High Road to China
1978 - Coma
1976 - Midway
1972 - Daughters of Satan
1971 - The Seven Minutes
1970 - Myra Breckinridge
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on _"The Dating Game" (1965)_ (qv) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.
- Member of the conservative Wednesday Morning Club in Hollywood.
- Was considered as the next President of the National Rifle Association (NRA) following the retirement of his close friend 'Charlton Heston' (qv) in 2003.
- Joined the Detroit Tigers in 1992 for spring training. He actually took an at-bat (as a pinch hitter) in a game against the Cincinnati Reds, facing Reds' pitcher Tim Layana. Selleck ended up striking out after fouling away half a dozen pitches.
- During the brief run of the late night _"The Chevy Chase Show" (1993)_ (qv) on Fox, he guest-starred and, as a gag, asked to be presented his 1993 Worst Supporting Actor 'Razzie' award for his performance as King Ferdinand of Spain in _Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992)_ (qv). When the Razzie was actually presented to him on the air, Selleck took it in stride and asked the entire studio audience to "blow me a raspberry." Selleck thus became the third person in Razzie history to voluntarily accept one of the Worst Achievements in Film statuettes.
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Turned down the role of Richard on the TV show _"Titans" (2000)_ (qv).
- Maintains a summer home in Jonesboro, Maine.