Jan. 29th, 1945
Detroit, Michigan, USA
6' 3 1/2
Tom Selleck's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Thomas William "Tom" Selleck (born January 29, 1945) is an American actor and film producer. He is best known for his starring role as the private investigator Thomas Magnum in the television series Magnum, P.I. (1980 to 1988), based in Hawaii. He also plays Police Chief Jesse Stone in a series of made-for-TV movies based on Robert B. Parker novels. Since 2010, he has appeared as NYPD Police Commissioner Frank Reagan in the drama Blue Bloods on CBS-TV.
Selleck has appeared in more than fifty film and television roles since his initial success with Magnum, P.I., including a co-starring role in the highest-grossing movie of 1987, Three Men and a Baby; Quigley Down Under; Mr. Baseball; and Lassiter, to name a few. Selleck has also appeared as Dr. Richard Burke on Friends, where he played the on-again, off-again love-interest of Monica Geller (Courteney Cox), and A.J. Cooper on Las Vegas.
- His only biological child is Hannah, his daughter with 'Jillie Mack' (qv). 'Kevin Selleck' (qv) is the son of his first wife, 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv), from her first marriage. Tom Selleck adopted Kevin during the marriage and has continued to treat him as a beloved son after he and 'Jacqueline Ray' (qv) divorced.
- During the brief run of the late night _"The Chevy Chase Show" (1993)_ (qv) on Fox, he guest-starred and, as a gag, asked to be presented his 1993 Worst Supporting Actor 'Razzie' award for his performance as King Ferdinand of Spain in _Christopher Columbus: The Discovery (1992)_ (qv). When the Razzie was actually presented to him on the air, Selleck took it in stride and asked the entire studio audience to "blow me a raspberry." Selleck thus became the third person in Razzie history to voluntarily accept one of the Worst Achievements in Film statuettes.
- First TV appearance was as a college senior on _"The Dating Game" (1965)_ (qv) in 1967 and then a second time (date unknown at this time). Incredibly, he lost both times. Soon after, he appeared in TV commercials for products such as Pepsi-Cola.
- Was turned down for the lead role in the TV show _"Vega$" (1978)_ (qv), which went to 'Robert Urich (I)' (qv). Selleck and Urich once co-starred in a TV pilot (that was never picked up) called _Bunco (1977) (TV)_ (qv).
- Appeared in the Broadway show "A Thousand Clowns" without a mustache, a rarity for Selleck.
- Shaved off his trademark moustache for the 1997 film _In & Out (1997)_ (qv). Once rarely seen without it, he has since kept it off for most of his stage and screen work.
- Was asked to star opposite 'Julie Andrews (I)' (qv) in _Victor Victoria (1982)_ (qv) but hesitated, and by the time he decided he wanted the part, he was already locked into his _"Magnum, P.I." (1980)_ (qv) contract - the very same contract that cost him the role of Indiana Jones in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv).
- Member of the conservative Wednesday Morning Club in Hollywood.