Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Ranked #1 on Star TV's Top Ten Box Office stars of the 1990s (2003)
- Is a frequent guest host on _"Saturday Night Live" (1975)_ (qv).
- Hanks cited the help of a nearby ice cream shop which helped him gain 30 pounds for his role in _A League of Their Own (1992)_ (qv).
- Enjoys collecting typewriters, purchasing over 80 of them around the globe.
- Attended California State University, Sacramento.
- Between 1994 and 2004, he was the performer nominated for the most Academy Awards (four times, along with 'Sean Penn (I)' (qv), 'Meryl Streep' (qv), 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), 'Judi Dench' (qv) and 'Ed Harris (I)' (qv)) and won the most (twice).
- Younger brother of Sandra Hanks and Larry Hanks and older brother of 'Jim Hanks (I)' (qv).
- He once shared a record (with 'Tom Cruise' (qv) and 'Will Smith (I)' (qv)) as the actor to star in the most consecutive $100 million-grossing movies (7). As of 2008, Smith holds the record alone with 8 movies.