Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Gained and later lost 50 lbs. for his role in _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv).
- Is a member of the International Thespian Society (a group supporting theatre for high school students internationally).
- Father, with 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv), of 'Chet Hanks' (qv) (born on 4 August 1990) and Truman Theodore (born on 26 December 1995).
- 'Jim Lovell (I)' (qv), whom Hanks played in _Apollo 13 (1995)_ (qv), is actually left-handed, but Hanks refused to write with his left hand for the movie.
- Was a member of Monty Python for one night only, filling in for 'John Cleese' (qv), at A Concert For George.
- He is an environmental conservationist and often advocates and supports natural causes.
- In 2007, Forbes Magazine reported that his earnings were estimated to be $74 million the previous year.
- Has been Member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch) since 2001.