Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Received emergency treatment for serious staph infection in leg after returning from overseas location shoot (1999).
- Is a fan of _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv).
- Second actor to win back-to-back Best Actor Oscars, for his work in _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) and _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv). The first was 'Spencer Tracy' (qv), for _Captains Courageous (1937)_ (qv) and _Boys Town (1938)_ (qv).
- He once worked as a hotel bellman. Some of the celebrity guests whose bags he carried were 'Cher (I)' (qv), 'Sidney Poitier' (qv), 'Slappy White' (qv) and 'Bill Withers' (qv).
- He is a third cousin, four generations removed, of former U.S. President Abraham Lincoln. Their common ancestor is John Hanks (1680 - 1740), who was the great-great-grandfather of Lincoln, and the great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather of Tom Hanks. It is commonly (albeit incorrectly) reported that they are fourth cousins, four times removed, but Thomas Hanks (b. 1819) and Abraham Lincoln were both great-great-grandchildren of John Hanks, making them third cousins. Tom Hanks was Thomas Hanks' great-great-grandson, making his relation to Abraham Lincolns four generations removed.
- Sold popcorn and peanuts as a teenager at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Married 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv) at Saint Sophia's Church, converting from Roman Catholicism to Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
- Was in attendance at 'Princess Diana' (qv)'s funeral along with 'Steven Spielberg' (qv), 'Tom Cruise' (qv), 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), among others.