Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Attended Chabot College in Hayward, California.
- Has been good friends with 'Bruce Springsteen' (qv) since his youth.
- Stepson of the former Frances Wong, whom his father married in 1965.
- His heroic Oscar-winning gay character Andrew Beckett in the 1993 film _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) was ranked #49 on the Amerian Film Institute's heroes list of the 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villians.
- Was a member of Monty Python for one night only, filling in for 'John Cleese' (qv), at A Concert For George.
- Had made three films with director 'Steven Spielberg' (qv), all of which are tied to Europe. _Saving Private Ryan (1998)_ (qv) revolved around his character and his infantry unit seeking out a missing private in Europe during WW II. _Catch Me If You Can (2002)_ (qv) involved his character tracking down 'Frank Abagnale Jr.' (qv) in France and in _The Terminal (2004)_ (qv), his character was from the fictional eastern European country of Krakohzia.
- Gained and later lost 50 lbs. for his role in _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv).
- Favorite baseball team is the Cleveland Indians. He purchased a stone in the front of Jacob's Field when it was built.