Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Tom Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Tom moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show "Bosom Buddies" (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film "That Thing You Do!" (1996).
- Stepson of the former Frances Wong, whom his father married in 1965.
- Father, with 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv), of 'Chet Hanks' (qv) (born on 4 August 1990) and Truman Theodore (born on 26 December 1995).
- Ranked #1 on Star TV's Top Ten Box Office stars of the 1990s (2003)
- Sold popcorn and peanuts as a teenager at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Married 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv) at Saint Sophia's Church, converting from Roman Catholicism to Eastern Orthodox Christianity.
- Related to 'Bill Cosby' (qv)'s wife 'Camille O. Cosby' (qv) (née Camille Olivia Hanks), as both share a biological lineage to 'Abraham Lincoln (I)' (qv) through his mother, Nancy Hanks.
- Was asked to play the title role in _Jerry Maguire (1996)_ (qv).
- Is a fan of English Premier League soccer team Aston Villa and was presented with a shirt on a TV show with the print 'Hanks 1' on the back.