Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Tom Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Tom moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show "Bosom Buddies" (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film "That Thing You Do!" (1996).
- His first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) died of cancer 14 years after their divorce.
- His performance as Josh Baskin in _Big (1988)_ (qv) is ranked #15 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Biography/bibliography in: "Contemporary Authors". Volume 244, pages 199-202. Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson Gale, 2006.
- Is a fan of _"Doctor Who" (1963)_ (qv).
- Is a fan of English Premier League soccer team Aston Villa and was presented with a shirt on a TV show with the print 'Hanks 1' on the back.
- Sold popcorn and peanuts as a teenager at the Oakland Coliseum.
- Ranked #1 on Star TV's Top Ten Box Office stars of the 1990s (2003)
- His performance as Forrest Gump in _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv) is ranked #43 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.