Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Tom Hanks' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- His heroic Oscar-winning gay character Andrew Beckett in the 1993 film _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) was ranked #49 on the Amerian Film Institute's heroes list of the 100 years of The Greatest Screen Heroes and Villians.
- Publicly endorsed Senator 'Barack Obama' (qv) in the 2008 presidential election.
- His performance as Forrest Gump in _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv) is ranked #43 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- According to 'Patrick Stewart (I)' (qv) (Captain Picard), he is a huge Trekkie and the first time the two met, Star Trek was the only thing he wanted to talk about. Hanks was actually the original choice to play Zefram Cochrane in _Star Trek: First Contact (1996)_ (qv), and desperately wanted to play the role, but had to back out due to his earlier commitment to _That Thing You Do! (1996)_ (qv).
- The asteroid "12818 tomhanks" was named after him.
- Father, with first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv), of 'Colin Hanks' (qv) (born on 24 September 1977) and 'Elizabeth Hanks' (qv) (born on 17 May 1982).
- 'Jim Lovell (I)' (qv), whom Hanks played in _Apollo 13 (1995)_ (qv), is actually left-handed, but Hanks refused to write with his left hand for the movie.
- Cited as America's Favorite Movie Star in Harris Polls conducted in 2002, 2004, 2005, a record number of times as the #1 favorite. 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) and 'Clint Eastwood' (qv) are the only other actors to have achieved that feat.