Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Stepson of the former Frances Wong, whom his father married in 1965.
- Second actor to win back-to-back Best Actor Oscars, for his work in _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) and _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv). The first was 'Spencer Tracy' (qv), for _Captains Courageous (1937)_ (qv) and _Boys Town (1938)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Peter Banning (Peter Pan) in _Hook (1991)_ (qv).
- Biography/bibliography in: "Contemporary Authors". Volume 244, pages 199-202. Farmington Hills, MI: Thomson Gale, 2006.
- Is a fan of _"Law & Order: Special Victims Unit" (1999)_ (qv), and has expressed desire to one day guest star on the show.
- Has been referred to by many as "the modern 'James Stewart (I)' (qv)".
- Premiere Magazine ranked him as #28 on a list of the Greatest Movie Stars of All Time in their Stars in Our Constellation feature (2005).
- Shares his birthday with 'Jack White (XV)' (qv), 'David O'Hara (I)' (qv), 'Courtney Love' (qv), 'Chris Cooper (I)' (qv), 'O.J. Simpson' (qv) and 'Donald Rumsfeld' (qv).