Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Born to Amos Mefford Hanks, a chef, and his wife Janet Marylyn Frager, a hospital worker, his parents divorced in 1960.
- His first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) died of cancer 14 years after their divorce.
- Was in attendance at 'Princess Diana' (qv)'s funeral along with 'Steven Spielberg' (qv), 'Tom Cruise' (qv), 'Nicole Kidman' (qv), among others.
- Was originally cast in the dual role of "Charlie Kaufman/Donald Kaufman" in _Adaptation. (2002)_ (qv), but later dropped out. 'Nicolas Cage' (qv), who went on to receive a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his performance, was cast instead.
- Has been Member of the Board of Governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (Actors Branch) since 2001.
- Was asked to play the title role in _Jerry Maguire (1996)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the role of Peter Banning (Peter Pan) in _Hook (1991)_ (qv).
- Father, with 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv), of 'Chet Hanks' (qv) (born on 4 August 1990) and Truman Theodore (born on 26 December 1995).