Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Hanks moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show Bosom Buddies (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film That Thing You Do! (1996).
- Biography in: "Who's Who in Comedy" by Ronald L. Smith, pg. 205-206. New York: Facts on File, 1992. ISBN 0816023387
- Related to 'Bill Cosby' (qv)'s wife 'Camille O. Cosby' (qv) (née Camille Olivia Hanks), as both share a biological lineage to 'Abraham Lincoln (I)' (qv) through his mother, Nancy Hanks.
- The asteroid "12818 tomhanks" was named after him.
- His performance as Josh Baskin in _Big (1988)_ (qv) is ranked #15 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- In three of his movies, he has had a scene where he is stranded at sea: _Splash (1984)_ (qv), _Joe Versus the Volcano (1990)_ (qv), and _Cast Away (2000)_ (qv).
- Father, with 'Rita Wilson (I)' (qv), of 'Chet Hanks' (qv) (born on 4 August 1990) and Truman Theodore (born on 26 December 1995).
- Attended California State University, Sacramento.
- Ranked #13 in Premiere's 2003 annual Power 100 List. Had ranked #15 in 2002.