Jul. 9th, 1956
Concord, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Al McIntosh (Voiced)
Himself - Guest
Born in California, Tom Hanks grew up in what he calls a "fractured" family. His parents were pioneers in the development of marriage dissolution law in that state, and Tom moved around a lot, living with a succession of step-families. No problems, no abuse, no alcoholism, just a confused childhood. He had no acting experience in college and, in fact, credits the fact that he couldn't get cast in a college play with actually starting his career - he went downtown, auditioned for a community theater play, was invited by the director of that play to go to Cleveland, and there his acting career started.
He met his second wife, actress 'Rita Wilson' on the set of the his television show "Bosom Buddies" (1980), she appeared in one episode in the second season (1981). They have two children and Tom has another son and daughter by his first wife. In 1996, he made his first step behind the camera, directing as well as starring and writing the film "That Thing You Do!" (1996).
- 'Jim Lovell (I)' (qv), whom Hanks played in _Apollo 13 (1995)_ (qv), is actually left-handed, but Hanks refused to write with his left hand for the movie.
- He once worked as a hotel bellman. Some of the celebrity guests whose bags he carried were 'Cher (I)' (qv), 'Sidney Poitier' (qv), 'Slappy White' (qv) and 'Bill Withers' (qv).
- Is the second most-represented actor (behind 'Sidney Poitier' (qv) and 'Gary Cooper (I)' (qv)) on the American Film Institute's 100 Most Inspiring Movies of All Time, with four of his films making the list. They are: _Forrest Gump (1994)_ (qv) at #37, _Philadelphia (1993)_ (qv) at #20, _Apollo 13 (1995)_ (qv) at #12, and _Saving Private Ryan (1998)_ (qv) at #10.
- His first wife 'Samantha Lewes' (qv) died of cancer 14 years after their divorce.
- His performance as Josh Baskin in _Big (1988)_ (qv) is ranked #15 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- Attended Chabot College in Hayward, California.
- Was originally cast in the dual role of "Charlie Kaufman/Donald Kaufman" in _Adaptation. (2002)_ (qv), but later dropped out. 'Nicolas Cage' (qv), who went on to receive a Best Actor Oscar nomination for his performance, was cast instead.
- Younger brother of Sandra Hanks and Larry Hanks and older brother of 'Jim Hanks (I)' (qv).