May. 31st, 1949
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom Berenger's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Berenger was born to an Irish Catholic family in Chicago as Thomas Michael Moore. His father was a printer for the Chicago Sun-Times and traveling salesman. Berenger has a sister, Susan.
Moore selected "Berenger" as his professional name after a school friend after he was forced to change his surname professionally as there was already a "Tom Moore" in the Actors' Equity Association. He graduated in 1967 from Rich East High School in Park Forest, Illinois.
He studied journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri but decided to seek an acting career following his graduation. He established the Tom Berenger Acting Scholarship Fund in 1988 to award theatre students for excellence in performance. He worked first in regional theatre and then moved to New York City in the 1970s
- He has two children with first wife, Barbara Wilson: Allison (b.1977) and Patrick (b.1979). He has 3 daughters with Lisa: Chelsea (b.1986), Chloe (b.1988) and Shiloh Rory (b.1993). He also has a daughter with Patricia named Scout (b.1998).
- Listed as a "Promising New Actor of 1977" in vol. 29 of John Willis' Screen World.
- Father of 'Chelsea Berenger' (qv) and 'Chloe Berenger' (qv).
- Studied acting in New York at the Herbert Berghof Studios.
- His father was a traveling salesman.
- Admitted that he hated making the movie Sliver, as it went through endless reshoots and script changes.
- He claims that he had a few very bad years, from 1979 to 1981. The roles stopped coming, and he says, "I was just scraping by financially, and emotionally I was getting really defeated. I got to the point where I could hardly go on auditions anymore.".
- Was considered for the role of Jack Tripper on _"Three's Company" (1977)_ (qv).