May. 31st, 1949
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom Berenger's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Berenger was born to an Irish Catholic family in Chicago as Thomas Michael Moore. His father was a printer for the Chicago Sun-Times and traveling salesman. Berenger has a sister, Susan.
Moore selected "Berenger" as his professional name after a school friend after he was forced to change his surname professionally as there was already a "Tom Moore" in the Actors' Equity Association. He graduated in 1967 from Rich East High School in Park Forest, Illinois.
He studied journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri but decided to seek an acting career following his graduation. He established the Tom Berenger Acting Scholarship Fund in 1988 to award theatre students for excellence in performance. He worked first in regional theatre and then moved to New York City in the 1970s
- Graduated from the University of Missouri, where he majored in journalism.
- He was offered his role in Nightmare & Dreamscapes and had 24 hours to decide if he wanted. He agreed without even getting a chance to read the script. He read it for the first time on the flight to Australia for the filming.
- Father of 'Chelsea Berenger' (qv) and 'Chloe Berenger' (qv).
- Admitted that he hated making the movie Sliver, as it went through endless reshoots and script changes.
- Is a a major world history buff.
- Considers _Flesh & Blood (1979) (TV)_ (qv) as one of his best films.
- Studied acting in New York at the Herbert Berghof Studios.
- Lives in Beaufort, South Carolina when not working on films.