May. 31st, 1949
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tom Berenger's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Berenger was born to an Irish Catholic family in Chicago as Thomas Michael Moore. His father was a printer for the Chicago Sun-Times and traveling salesman. Berenger has a sister, Susan.
Moore selected "Berenger" as his professional name after a school friend after he was forced to change his surname professionally as there was already a "Tom Moore" in the Actors' Equity Association. He graduated in 1967 from Rich East High School in Park Forest, Illinois.
He studied journalism at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri but decided to seek an acting career following his graduation. He established the Tom Berenger Acting Scholarship Fund in 1988 to award theatre students for excellence in performance. He worked first in regional theatre and then moved to New York City in the 1970s
- Earned the highest rating (3 stars) from "The Bare Facts" -- a printed guide to on-screen nudity -- for eligible scenes in _In Praise of Older Women (1978)_ (qv) and _At Play in the Fields of the Lord (1991)_ (qv).".
- Considers _Flesh & Blood (1979) (TV)_ (qv) as one of his best films.
- His father was a traveling salesman.
- Was considered for the role of Jack Tripper on _"Three's Company" (1977)_ (qv).
- Lives in Beaufort, South Carolina when not working on films.
- Studied acting in New York at the Herbert Berghof Studios.
- Listed as a "Promising New Actor of 1977" in vol. 29 of John Willis' Screen World.
- He has two children with first wife, Barbara Wilson: Allison (b.1977) and Patrick (b.1979). He has 3 daughters with Lisa: Chelsea (b.1986), Chloe (b.1988) and Shiloh Rory (b.1993). He also has a daughter with Patricia named Scout (b.1998).