Jun. 27th, 1975
Santa Monica, California, USA
5' 8 1/2"
Tobey Maguire's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Tobey Maguire's parents were 18 and 20 - and unwed - when he was born. His father, Vincent Maguire, was a cook and sometime construction worker. His mother, Wendy Brown, was a secretary and aspiring screenwriter. They split two years after his birth. This resulted in moving constantly as a youth, spending time in California, Oregon, and Washington. He quit school in the ninth grade and pursued acting roles. He did several commercials and bit roles on various TV shows before landing a starring role on the Fox comedy "Great Scott!" (1992). That role lasted nine weeks before the show was canceled. Although avoiding drugs and alcohol, he still is known for running with the party set, including Leonardo DiCaprio's group. Tobey is a vegetarian and studies yoga.
- He and his wife are very close to Sara Gilbert.
- Considered for the role of Will Turner in _Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2003)_ (qv).
- Often portrays heroes that are close to animals or creatures. In _Cats & Dogs (2001)_ (qv), he provided the voice of Lou the Beagle in which he saves the world from cats; in _Spider-Man (2002)_ (qv), he was bitten by a radioactive (genetically modified in the movies) spider that gave him superhuman abilities; in _Seabiscuit (2003)_ (qv), he played 'Red Pollard' (qv), a jockey who rode a winning horse to victory.
- He and his fiancée, Jennifer Meyer, announced their engagement in April. Jennifer is a jewelry designer [June 12, 2006].
- Has been a vegan/vegetarian since 1992.
- He will get $26 million for the two sequels to _Spider-Man (2002)_ (qv).
- Enjoys yoga and cooking.
- He was originally set to play the role of Jake Hoyt in _Training Day (2001)_ (qv), opposite 'Denzel Washington' (qv). He had even gone through two months of training with narcotic officers, weapons training, and put on a lot of muscle but the role was later given to the producer's first choice, 'Ethan Hawke' (qv), and Tobey went on to star in _Spider-Man (2002)_ (qv) instead.