Mar. 1st, 1956
New York City, New York, USA
Tim Daly's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
James Timothy "Tim" Daly (born March 1, 1956) is an American stage, screen and voice actor, director and producer. He is best known for his television role as Joe Hackett on the NBC sitcom Wings and for his voice role as Superman/Clark Kent in Superman: The Animated Series, as well as his recurring role of the drug-addicted screenwriter J.T. Dolan on The Sopranos for which he was nominated for an Emmy Award. He starred as Pete Wilder on Private Practice from 2007 to 2012.
Born in New York City, the only son and youngest child of actors 'James Daly' and Mary Hope Newell. He is the younger brother of actress 'Tyne Daly', who is 10 years his senior, and is a brother-in-law of television and film composer Mark Snow. He has two other sisters, Mary Glynn (Snow's wife) and Pegeen Michael. He is of part Irish ancestry. Daly attended The Putney School, where he started to study acting.
Daly began his professional career while a student at Vermont's Bennington College, where he studied theatre and literature, in which he now holds a Bachelor of Arts, and acted in summer stock. He graduated from college in 1979 and returned to New York to continue studying acting and singing.
Daly married actress 'Amy Van Nostrand' in 1982. They have two children: son Sam (born 1984), and daughter Emelyn (born 1989). Daly and his wife divorced in (2010). In 2012, on a personal quest, he climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. That same year, he and his sister, Tyne, endorsed the re-election campaign of Democratic U.S President Barack Obama.
- Son of 'James Daly (I)' (qv) and 'Hope Newell' (qv), brother of 'Tyne Daly' (qv) and uncle of 'Kathryne Dora Brown' (qv).
- Is perhaps best known for the role of Joe Hackett on the TV series _"Wings" (1990)_ (qv). He beat out 'Kevin Conroy (I)' (qv) for the part. He later worked with Conroy on the animated _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) and _"Batman" (1992)_ (qv) series.
- Was unable to provide the voice of Superman, as he previously did for Warner Bros. in its _"Superman" (1996)_ (qv) and _"Batman" (1992)_ (qv) animated series, when presented with the _"Justice League" (2001)_ (qv) series, as he was already contracted to star in _"The Fugitive" (2000)_ (qv).
- Attended and graduated from Bennington College.
- He has two children with wife 'Amy Van Nostrand' (qv).
- Son 'Sam Daly' (qv) born in 1984; daughter Emelyn born in 1989.