May. 30th, 1958
Newport Beach, California, USA
Ted McGinley's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
McGinley began his career in modeling. After a casting director spotted a picture of him in GQ, he was cast in comedy series Happy Days as Roger Phillips (nephew of the Cunninghams), a role he played from 1980-1984. During the run of Happy Days, he landed a role in the 1982 comedy Young Doctors in Love. After Happy Days ended in 1984, McGinley appeared in Revenge of the Nerds where he played Stanley Gable, the head of the jock-run Alpha Beta fraternity and the primary antagonist of the Lambda Lambda Lambda nerd fraternity; he reprised the role in the third and fourth movies in the "Nerds" franchise, both produced for television. He went on to appear in regular roles in television series including The Love Boat and Dynasty. He then went into the role of Jefferson D'Arcy on Married... with Children from 1991-1997. He had recurring roles on Aaron Sorkin's TV shows Sports Night, as Dana's boyfriend Gordon, and The West Wing as a TV news anchor. From 2003-2006, he played Charley Shanowski on Hope & Faith.
McGinley has been called "the patron saint of shark-jumping" by jumptheshark.com founder Jon Hein. This is a reference to the popular and enduring shows which have featured him in their declining years often to replace a departing regular castmember. Such shows include Happy Days, The Love Boat and Dynasty. Hein writes that this is not a comment "on Ted's fine acting skills" and that "he has a great sense of humor about it, too". In one episode of Married... with Children (a show that stayed on the air for six seasons after McGinley's addition to the cast) McGinley himself spoofed this fact by asking Al "Another picture, captain? I mean, Fonzie? ....Al?". A 2003 issue of People that focused on McGinley's casting on Hope and Faith was titled "Ted McGinley Is Not a Killer", referencing his reputation for causing shows to jump the shark, though his long involvement with Married... with Children may have had the opposite effect: As Jefferson D'Arcy, a charming scam artist, and Marcy D'Arcy's husband, McGinley's contributions may have enabled the series to have a longer and more successful run with many fans preferring him to his predecessor, played by David Garrison.
- Ted was the captain of the water-polo team in college.
- Son Beau Martin McGinley (born May 25th 1994).
- Before taking the role of Jefferson D'Arcy on _"Married with Children" (1987)_ (qv), he played Peggy's husband in a Christmas fantasy episode in which Al wonders what life would have been like if he had never been born.
- "Patron saint" of the website "Jump the Shark" (a phrase describing an event in a TV show that marks the start of the show's decline) because of his frequent roles as a fresh or a replacement character shortly before the termination of many shows.
- Took a 16-year-old 'Brooke Shields' (qv) to her Dwight Englewood senior prom in 1982.
- Member of the Sigma Chi Fraternity.