May. 29th, 1957
Bellaire, Ohio, USA
Ted Levine's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Little Boy
2010 - Shutter Island
2007 - American Gangster
2007 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2006 - The Hills Have Eyes
2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha
2005 - The L.A. Riot Spectacular
2004 - The Manchurian Candidate
2004 - Birth
2003 - Wonderland
2002 - The Truth About Charlie
2001 - The Fast and the Furious
2001 - Ali
2001 - Evolution
1999 - Wild Wild West
1997 - Mad City
1997 - Switchback
1997 - Flubber
1996 - Bullet
1995 - Heat
1995 - The Mangler
1993 - Nowhere to Run
1991 - The Silence of the Lambs
1990 - Love at Large
1989 - Next of Kin
1988 - Betrayed
1987 - Ironweed
Guest TV Roles
Nazi Lieutenant (Voiced)
Dave 'Eddie' Powers
Ted Levine (born May 29, 1957) is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs and as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer in the television series Monk.
Born in Bellaire, Ohio, to Milton and Charlotte Levine, who were both doctors and members of Physicians for Social Responsibility. Levine is of Russian-Jewish and Welsh heritage and has described himself as a "hillbilly Jew". He grew up in Oak Park, Illinois.
Levine was among the last graduating class of the Windsor Mountain School in Lennox, Massachusetts. Attended Marlboro College in Vermont. Performed in summer stock and regional theatres in Vermont, Michigan and West Virginia before settling in Chicago and joining The Remains ensemble. Levine worked on stage at Remains, Wisdom Bridge, and The Goodman and Steppenwolf theaters throughout the 1980s before he began working in television and film.
In 2013, Levine had a major supporting role in the FX murder mystery series The Bridge as Lieutenant Hank Wade, commander of a police homicide unit in a Texas border city.
- After appearing in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), he appeared in _Heat (1995)_ (qv), which was directed by _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) director 'Michael Mann (I)' (qv) and featured Manhunter villain 'Tom Noonan' (qv).
- Has worked with both Clarice Starlings. He appeared in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) with 'Jodie Foster' (qv) and, ten years later, he appeared in _Evolution (2001)_ (qv) with 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), who played Clarice Starling earlier that year in _Hannibal (2001)_ (qv).
- The voice of Chris Griffin in _"Family Guy" (1999)_ (qv) is based on him.
- He was nominated for a 1996 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play for "Buried Child" at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, Illinois.
- Over the years, he has co-starred with four actors from TV's _"Prison Break" (2005)_ (qv) - with 'William Fichtner' (qv) in _Heat (1995)_ (qv), 'Dominic Purcell' (qv) in _Moby Dick (1998) (TV)_ (qv), 'Wade Williams (II)' (qv) in _Ali (2001)_ (qv) and 'Paul Adelstein' (qv) in _Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)_ (qv).
- Ran for mayor in Omaha, Nebraska. On the ballot, his name read "Acting Sensation Mayor Ted Levine."
- Has an adult daughter named Melissa and a teenage son named Mac.
- Like _"Sex and the City" (1998)_ (qv) star 'Chris Noth' (qv) ("Mr. Big"), he attended Marlboro College in Vermont for a time in the 1970s.