May. 29th, 1957
Bellaire, Ohio, USA
Ted Levine's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ted Levine (born May 29, 1957) is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs and as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer in the television series Monk.
Born in Bellaire, Ohio, to Milton and Charlotte Levine, who were both doctors and members of Physicians for Social Responsibility. Levine is of Russian-Jewish and Welsh heritage and has described himself as a "hillbilly Jew". He grew up in Oak Park, Illinois.
Levine was among the last graduating class of the Windsor Mountain School in Lennox, Massachusetts. Attended Marlboro College in Vermont. Performed in summer stock and regional theatres in Vermont, Michigan and West Virginia before settling in Chicago and joining The Remains ensemble. Levine worked on stage at Remains, Wisdom Bridge, and The Goodman and Steppenwolf theaters throughout the 1980s before he began working in television and film.
In 2013, Levine had a major supporting role in the FX murder mystery series The Bridge as Lieutenant Hank Wade, commander of a police homicide unit in a Texas border city.
- He was nominated for a 1996 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play for "Buried Child" at the Steppenwolf Theatre Company in Chicago, Illinois.
- Has worked with both Clarice Starlings. He appeared in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) with 'Jodie Foster' (qv) and, ten years later, he appeared in _Evolution (2001)_ (qv) with 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), who played Clarice Starling earlier that year in _Hannibal (2001)_ (qv).
- Has an adult daughter named Melissa and a teenage son named Mac.
- Ran for mayor in Omaha, Nebraska. On the ballot, his name read "Acting Sensation Mayor Ted Levine."
- Over the years, he has co-starred with four actors from TV's _"Prison Break" (2005)_ (qv) - with 'William Fichtner' (qv) in _Heat (1995)_ (qv), 'Dominic Purcell' (qv) in _Moby Dick (1998) (TV)_ (qv), 'Wade Williams (II)' (qv) in _Ali (2001)_ (qv) and 'Paul Adelstein' (qv) in _Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)_ (qv).
- The voice of Chris Griffin in _"Family Guy" (1999)_ (qv) is based on him.
- Has worked with two Jack Crawfords. Prior to appearing in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) with 'Scott Glenn' (qv), he appeared in the television series _"Crime Story" (1986)_ (qv), produced by 'Michael Mann (I)' (qv) and starring 'Dennis Farina' (qv), who played Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). Also featured in this series was 'Stephen Lang (I)' (qv), who played Freddy Lounds in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Like _"Sex and the City" (1998)_ (qv) star 'Chris Noth' (qv) ("Mr. Big"), he attended Marlboro College in Vermont for a time in the 1970s.