May. 29th, 1957
Bellaire, Ohio, USA
Ted Levine's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2014 - Little Boy
2014 - Big Game
2013 - A Single Shot
2013 - The Banshee Chapter
2010 - Shutter Island
2007 - American Gangster
2007 - The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
2006 - The Hills Have Eyes
2005 - The L.A. Riot Spectacular
2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha
2004 - The Manchurian Candidate
2004 - Birth
2003 - Wonderland
2002 - The Truth About Charlie
2001 - Joy Ride
2001 - Ali
2001 - The Fast and the Furious
2001 - Evolution
1999 - Wild Wild West
1997 - Flubber
1997 - Switchback
1997 - Mad City
1996 - Bullet
1995 - Heat
1995 - The Mangler
1991 - The Silence of the Lambs
1990 - Love at Large
1990 - Love at Large
1989 - Next of Kin
1988 - Betrayed
1987 - Ironweed
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Ted Levine (born May 29, 1957) is an American actor. He is known for his roles as Buffalo Bill in The Silence of the Lambs and as Captain Leland Stottlemeyer in the television series Monk.
Born in Bellaire, Ohio, to Milton and Charlotte Levine, who were both doctors and members of Physicians for Social Responsibility. Levine is of Russian-Jewish and Welsh heritage and has described himself as a "hillbilly Jew". He grew up in Oak Park, Illinois.
Levine was among the last graduating class of the Windsor Mountain School in Lennox, Massachusetts. Attended Marlboro College in Vermont. Performed in summer stock and regional theatres in Vermont, Michigan and West Virginia before settling in Chicago and joining The Remains ensemble. Levine worked on stage at Remains, Wisdom Bridge, and The Goodman and Steppenwolf theaters throughout the 1980s before he began working in television and film.
In 2013, Levine had a major supporting role in the FX murder mystery series The Bridge as Lieutenant Hank Wade, commander of a police homicide unit in a Texas border city.
- The voice of Chris Griffin in _"Family Guy" (1999)_ (qv) is based on him.
- Like _"Sex and the City" (1998)_ (qv) star 'Chris Noth' (qv) ("Mr. Big"), he attended Marlboro College in Vermont for a time in the 1970s.
- Over the years, he has co-starred with four actors from TV's _"Prison Break" (2005)_ (qv) - with 'William Fichtner' (qv) in _Heat (1995)_ (qv), 'Dominic Purcell' (qv) in _Moby Dick (1998) (TV)_ (qv), 'Wade Williams (II)' (qv) in _Ali (2001)_ (qv) and 'Paul Adelstein' (qv) in _Memoirs of a Geisha (2005)_ (qv).
- Has an adult daughter named Melissa and a teenage son named Mac.
- Ran for mayor in Omaha, Nebraska. On the ballot, his name read "Acting Sensation Mayor Ted Levine."
- After appearing in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv), he appeared in _Heat (1995)_ (qv), which was directed by _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv) director 'Michael Mann (I)' (qv) and featured Manhunter villain 'Tom Noonan' (qv).
- Has worked with two Jack Crawfords. Prior to appearing in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) with 'Scott Glenn' (qv), he appeared in the television series _"Crime Story" (1986)_ (qv), produced by 'Michael Mann (I)' (qv) and starring 'Dennis Farina' (qv), who played Jack Crawford in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv). Also featured in this series was 'Stephen Lang (I)' (qv), who played Freddy Lounds in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv).
- Has worked with both Clarice Starlings. He appeared in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv) with 'Jodie Foster' (qv) and, ten years later, he appeared in _Evolution (2001)_ (qv) with 'Julianne Moore (I)' (qv), who played Clarice Starling earlier that year in _Hannibal (2001)_ (qv).