Jan. 2nd, 1971
Newark, New Jersey, USA
Taye Diggs' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Our Family Wedding
2005 - Rent
2003 - Basic
2003 - Malibu's Most Wanted
2002 - Brown Sugar
2002 - Chicago
2002 - Equilibrium
2002 - New Best Friend
1999 - The Wood
1999 - House on Haunted Hill
1999 - Go
1998 - How Stella Got Her Groove Back
Guest TV Roles
Dr. Sam Bennett
Himself - Guest
Secret Service Agent Wesley
Himself - Guest
Scott Leo "Taye" Diggs (born January 2, 1971) is an American theatre, film and television actor, best known by his nickname, Taye Diggs. He is perhaps best known for his roles in the Broadway musical Rent, the motion picture How Stella Got Her Groove Back, the television series Private Practice and his starring role in the motion picture The Best Man as Harper Stewart, as well as its sequel The Best Man Holiday. His nickname, Taye, comes from the playful pronunciation of Scotty as "Scottay".
Diggs was raised in Rochester, New York, Diggs received a BFA degree in musical theater from Syracuse University. He made his show business debut in the ensemble cast of the five-time Tony Award winning play Carousel. Diggs is the oldest of five. His two brothers are musicians, one sister is a dancer and the other is going to college to be a veterinarian.
Diggs married actress 'Idina Menzel', his Rent co-star, (January 11, 2003). Their son, Walker Nathaniel Diggs, (born September 2, 2009). On October 29 or 30, 2013, it was reported that Diggs and Menzel had separated after ten years of marriage. Their divorce was finalized (December 3, 2014).
Diggs is the co-artistic director of a dance company, Dre.dance, with fellow Broadway veteran and School of the Arts alumnus Andrew Palermo.
- As of April, 2002 Taye is engaged to Broadway actress and singer 'Idina Menzel' (qv).
- Married 'Idina Menzel' (qv) at the same Jamacian resort where _How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998)_ (qv) was filmed.
- Won the role of "Winston Shakespeare" in _How Stella Got Her Groove Back (1998)_ (qv), even though the casting directors were searching for a tall black man with dreads.
- Was called "Scottaye" by friends, then shortened his name to "Taye".
- Portrayed Benny, the evil landlord in the Tony Award winning stage production of "Rent"
- Graduated from Syracuse University with a BFA in musical theater.
- Began career as a performer at Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, VA.
- Taye and his wife, 'Idina Menzel' (qv), are expecting their first child, due later this year [March 31, 2009].