Dec. 15th, 1972
Howth, County Dublin, Ireland
Stuart Townsend's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2005 - Aeon Flux
2004 - Head in the Clouds
2003 - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
2002 - Queen of the Damned
2002 - Trapped
2000 - About Adam
1999 - Wonderland
1997 - Shooting Fish
Guest TV Roles
Edward - Pastry Chef
Himself - Guest
Stuart Townsend was born in Howth, County Dublin in 1972. Although his father, Peter Townsend was a professional golfer, Stuart was determined to be an actor and began his career by appearing in a number of student films, while attending the Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin. He supported himself by boxing until his first feature film debut in Trojan Eddie (1996). Although his part was small, Townsend attracted a London agent and began appearing in numerous stage and film productions in England and Ireland. America began to take notice of Stuart's talents when he appeared in two films featured in the 2000 Sundance Film Festival, in one of which, About Adam (2000), he took the title role. His most recent projects include Queen of the Damned (2002) and a romantic relationship with Charlize Theron.
- Due to his parents' professions, Stuart had to wait 13 years for the birth of his younger brother Dylan, and 15 years for the birth of little sister Chloe
- Irish citizen.
- Son of Peter and Lorna Townsend
- 'Charlize Theron' (qv) thanked him in her Oscar acceptance speech (2004).
- Studied drama at the Gaiety School of Acting, Dublin, Ireland.
- He has a younger half-brother called Hugo (b. 2000)
- Shares birthday with Geoff Stults and Don Johnson.
- Was originally cast as "Aragorn" in _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), but was replaced by 'Viggo Mortensen' (qv) after four days of shooting because they realized he was too young for the role.