Dec. 15th, 1972
Howth, County Dublin, Ireland
Stuart Townsend's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Stuart Townsend was born in Howth, County Dublin in 1972. Although his father, Peter Townsend was a professional golfer, Stuart was determined to be an actor and began his career by appearing in a number of student films, while attending the Gaiety School of Acting in Dublin. He supported himself by boxing until his first feature film debut in Trojan Eddie (1996). Although his part was small, Townsend attracted a London agent and began appearing in numerous stage and film productions in England and Ireland. America began to take notice of Stuart's talents when he appeared in two films featured in the 2000 Sundance Film Festival, in one of which, About Adam (2000), he took the title role. His most recent projects include Queen of the Damned (2002) and a romantic relationship with Charlize Theron.
- He has a younger half-brother called Hugo (b. 2000)
- Shares birthday with Geoff Stults and Don Johnson.
- Was originally cast as "Aragorn" in _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), but was replaced by 'Viggo Mortensen' (qv) after four days of shooting because they realized he was too young for the role.
- Before fame, Stuart and his friends formed a theatre group in Dublin, Ireland where they re-enacted scenes from the kids' show _"Le manège enchanté" (1964)_ (qv) (The Magic Roundabout). Stuart played Ermintrude the Cow.
- Has made three movies with his fiancée 'Charlize Theron' (qv): _Trapped (2002)_ (qv), _Head in the Clouds (2004)_ (qv) and _Æon Flux (2005)_ (qv). He had an uncredited non-speaking opening scene with her in _Æon Flux (2005)_ (qv). They met on the set of _Trapped (2002)_ (qv).
- Studied drama at the Gaiety School of Acting, Dublin, Ireland.
- Son of Peter and Lorna Townsend
- Irish citizen.