Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6834 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
- Attended Warwick University in Coventry, England but never graduated.
- His favorite music is actually jazz.
- Children: 'Joseph Sumner (II)' (qv) (b. 23 November 1976) and 'Fuschia Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 April 1982) by 'Frances Tomelty' (qv); 'Mickey Sumner' (qv) (b. 19 January 1984), 'Jake Sumner (I)' (qv) (b. 24 May 1985), 'Coco Sumner' (qv) (b. 30 July 1990) and 'Giacomo Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 December 1995) by 'Trudie Styler' (qv).
- The comic book character John Constantine from DC's Hellblazer was designed to look like Sting.
- Inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2002.
- Two of the songs he sang with The Police are also the titles of films starring 'Sandra Bullock' (qv): _Demolition Man (1993)_ (qv) and _Murder by Numbers (2002)_ (qv).
- Reunited with his former band-mates and performed at the 2007 Grammy Awards. The next day, 'The Police' (qv) announced a worldwide tour in 2007, the first tour since 1986.