Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- Album "Nothing Like the Sun" is dedicated to his mother, Audrey.
- He was a member of Band Aid (1984).
- One of his children suffers from dyspraxia - a developmental disorder of the brain in childhood affecting movement and coordination
- 'The Police' (qv) ended their last tour in early 1984 and only regrouped to play a few benefit dates in 1986. Their last performance to date was March 10, 2003 at their Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame induction. They have never announced an official breakup.
- The 2005 winning horse of the Kentucky Derby, Giacomo, is named after Sting and Trudie's son of the same name. The owner of the horse, Jerry Moss, is good friends with Sting and recorded him on A&M Records.
- He was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to Music.
- Was a certified primary school teacher in England. He also taught English in a secondary school in Cramlington near Newcastle.
- Reunited with his former band-mates and performed at the 2007 Grammy Awards. The next day, 'The Police' (qv) announced a worldwide tour in 2007, the first tour since 1986.