Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- Got his nickname "Sting" from the black and gold rugby shirts he used to wear, which made him look like a hornet.
- His album with 'The Police' (qv), "Synchronicity", was the album that finally knocked 'Michael Jackson (I)' (qv)'s "Thriller", the best selling album of all time, out of the number one spot it held for most of 1983.
- He was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to Music.
- Attended Warwick University in Coventry, England but never graduated.
- In an interview in the late 90s, said he liked some American Country music, mentioning 'Hank Williams (I)' (qv) and "Gentleman" 'Jim Reeves (I)' (qv) as two of his favorites.
- Son, Joseph, is a singer in a band and bears a striking resemblance to Sting. Joe's singing sounds similar to his father's as well.
- Ranked #9 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- Album "Nothing Like the Sun" is dedicated to his mother, Audrey.