Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2013 - 20 Feet from Stardom
2010 - 2012: Time for Change
2010 - Still Bill
2009 - Brüno
2009 - PoliWood
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1989 - Dune: The Extended Miniseries Cut
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Guest
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Musical Guest
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- Now resides in a Malibu house formerly owned by actor Larry Hagman.
- Children: 'Joseph Sumner (II)' (qv) (b. 23 November 1976) and 'Fuschia Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 April 1982) by 'Frances Tomelty' (qv); 'Mickey Sumner' (qv) (b. 19 January 1984), 'Jake Sumner (I)' (qv) (b. 24 May 1985), 'Coco Sumner' (qv) (b. 30 July 1990) and 'Giacomo Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 December 1995) by 'Trudie Styler' (qv).
- Got his nickname "Sting" from the black and gold rugby shirts he used to wear, which made him look like a hornet.
- In an interview in the late 90s, said he liked some American Country music, mentioning 'Hank Williams (I)' (qv) and "Gentleman" 'Jim Reeves (I)' (qv) as two of his favorites.
- Attended St. Cuthbert's Catholic High School in Newcastle, although at the time he went it was a Catholic grammar school. Other students have included TV presenter Declan Donnelly, Pet Shop Boys lead singer Neil Tennant, British Prisoner of War and journalist John Nichol as well as renowned architect Terry Farrell who designed the MI6 building overlooking the River Thames in London.
- Lived with 'Trudie Styler' (qv) for about 10 years before marrying her.
- (21 November 2003) Performed for the BBC's annual Children in Need charity event.
- The comic book character John Constantine from DC's Hellblazer was designed to look like Sting.