Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2016 - Zoolander 2
2013 - 20 Feet from Stardom
2010 - 2012: Time for Change
2010 - Still Bill
2009 - Brüno
2009 - PoliWood
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1989 - Dune: The Extended Miniseries Cut
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- His song "Roxanne" was covered by 'George Michael (II)' (qv) on the album "Songs from the Last Century".
- Former son-in-law of actor-writer 'Joseph Tomelty' (qv)
- The comic book character of John Constantine (Hellblazer), eventually featured in the Keanu Reeves movie, was designed to look like Sting, and, in fact, was created solely for the purpose of including a character who looks like Sting in the Swamp Thing comic. In one Swamp Thing issue, there's a boat called the USS Gordon Sumner.
- Former bus conductor and tax officer.
- In an interview in the late 90s, said he liked some American Country music, mentioning 'Hank Williams (I)' (qv) and "Gentleman" 'Jim Reeves (I)' (qv) as two of his favorites.
- His eldest daughter is actress 'Fuschia Sumner' (qv).
- He was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to Music.
- The comic book character John Constantine from DC's Hellblazer was designed to look like Sting.