Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- (21 November 2003) Performed for the BBC's annual Children in Need charity event.
- Attended Warwick University in Coventry, England but never graduated.
- He was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's Birthday Honours List for his services to Music.
- Reunited with his former band-mates and performed at the 2007 Grammy Awards. The next day, 'The Police' (qv) announced a worldwide tour in 2007, the first tour since 1986.
- Attended St. Cuthbert's Catholic High School in Newcastle, although at the time he went it was a Catholic grammar school. Other students have included TV presenter Declan Donnelly, Pet Shop Boys lead singer Neil Tennant, British Prisoner of War and journalist John Nichol as well as renowned architect Terry Farrell who designed the MI6 building overlooking the River Thames in London.
- Ranked #63 on VH1's 100 Greatest Artists of Rock & Roll.
- Children: 'Joseph Sumner (II)' (qv) (b. 23 November 1976) and 'Fuschia Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 April 1982) by 'Frances Tomelty' (qv); 'Mickey Sumner' (qv) (b. 19 January 1984), 'Jake Sumner (I)' (qv) (b. 24 May 1985), 'Coco Sumner' (qv) (b. 30 July 1990) and 'Giacomo Sumner' (qv) (b. 17 December 1995) by 'Trudie Styler' (qv).
- Lived with 'Trudie Styler' (qv) for about 10 years before marrying her.