Oct. 2nd, 1951
Wallsend, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
Sting's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - Brüno
2007 - Bee Movie
2006 - Herbie Hancock: Possibilities
2000 - The Filth and the Fury
1998 - Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
1988 - Stormy Monday
1985 - Bring on the Night
1985 - Plenty
1985 - The Bride
1984 - Dune
1979 - Quadrophenia
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Himself - Musical Guest
Himself - Guest
Himself - Singer (segment "Sting")
Born Gordon Matthew Sumner in Wallsend, Northumberland. His mother was Audrey, and his father was Ernest. He received his name Sting from his striped sweater in which Gordon Solomon said that he looked like a bee.
Primarily a musician, he worked in the band The Police until 1984, when he went solo. Before his music career he was a ditch digger, a schoolteacher who taught English and a soccer coach. He received an honorary Doctorate of Music degree from Northumbria University in October 1992, and from Berklee College of Music in May 1994. He plays guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, piano, harmonica, saxophone and pan-flute, and he gave a name to his bass (Brian). Along with his wife Trudie Styler and a Brazilian Indian, he started the Rainforest Foundation in 1989 to help save the rainforests.
- Filmed his son Jake's birth and put in his movie, Bring on the Night (1985)
- His album "Nothing Like The Sun" won the British Phonographic Industry Award for British Album in 1988.
- Winner of the 2002 Ivor Novello Award for International Achievement.
- The Police won the British Phonographic Industry Award for Outstanding Contribution in 1985.
- Former son-in-law of actor-writer 'Joseph Tomelty' (qv)
- His eldest daughter is actress 'Fuschia Sumner' (qv).
- Former bus conductor and tax officer.
- Winner of the 2002 Brit Award for Outstanding Contribution. Only 'Paul McCartney' (qv), 'John Lennon (I)' (qv) and 'Freddie Mercury' (qv) have also won the award as a member of a band and as an individual.