Aug. 16th, 1962
Concord, Massachusetts, USA
Steve Carell's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Date Night
2010 - Dinner for Schmucks
2010 - Despicable Me
2008 - Get Smart
2008 - Horton Hears a Who!
2007 - Dan in Real Life
2007 - Knocked Up
2007 - Evan Almighty
2006 - Little Miss Sunshine
2006 - Over the Hedge
2005 - The 40 Year Old Virgin
2005 - Bewitched
2004 - Melinda and Melinda
2004 - Sleepover
2004 - Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
2003 - Bruce Almighty
1998 - Homegrown
1991 - Curly Sue
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Host
Host of 'Carell Corral'
Himself - Surprise Appearance
Dan Gillick (Voiced)
Steve Carell, one of American comedy's most popular faces who edited a school newspaper as a child, is now celebrated as the funniest man on the cover of Life Magazine and on NBC's SNL, where he hosted the 2005-2006 season premiere. He became an unusually versatile comic after more than two decades of improv skits and bit parts, and received the 2006 Golden Globe Award for Best Actor in Television Comedy for the leading role of Michael Scott in his remake of Britain's existential comedy "The Office" (2005).
He was born Steven John Carell on August 16, 1962, into an Italian-American family in Concord, Massachusetts, USA. He was educated at The Fenn School, an all boys private school in Concord, Massachusetts, then at Middlesex School in Concord. He studied and graduated from Denison University in Granville, Ohio, then took acting at Chicago's Second City troupe. Carell made his film debut in 1991, as Tesio in Curly Sue (1991). From 1990-1996 he taught improvisational comedy class and also performed with The Second City troupe in Chicago. During the 1990s he was writing for The Dana Carvey Show, then he had a stint as one of correspondents on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart.
Carell shot to fame after his breakout performances as Evan Baxter opposite Jim Carrey in Bruce Almighty (2003) and as Uncle Arthur opposite Nicole Kidman and Will Ferrell in Bewitched (2005). He co-wrote the original screenplay for the summer box-office hit The 40 Year Old Virgin (2005) which was chosen as one of the Top Ten movies of 2006 by the American Film Institute. At the same time he appeared in Little Miss Sunshine (2006), an independent dark comedy that gives an unusually sharp and sarcastic view on America. In 2007 Carell reprized his role as Evan Baxer, filling Jim Carrey's leading-man shoes as a politician asked by God to build a giant ark in Evan Almighty (2007), the second installment of the "Almighty" franchise, co-starring Lauren Graham and Morgan Freeman. In 2008 he re-united with Jim Carrey in highly successful animation hit Horton Hears a Who! (2008), then appeared as Agent Maxwell Smart in popular comedy Get Smart (2008).
Steve Carell has been enjoying a happy family life with his wife, actress Nancy Carell, whom he met when she was a student in an improv class he was teaching at The Second City comedy troupe in Chicago. The couple have two children, daughter Elisabeth (born in May 2001), and son John (born in June 2004). Steve Carell is living with his family in Los Angeles, California.
- He was nominated for a 1993 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Revue for "Truth, Justice, or the American Way" at the Second City Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Grew up in Newton, Massachusetts.
- Son John born in June 2004.
- Married to actress/writer 'Nancy Carell' (qv), whom he met while both were writer/performers with the famed Second City comedy troupe in Chicago, Illinois.
- Is a member of what the media refers to as the Frat Pack, along with 'Jack Black (I)' (qv), 'Ben Stiller' (qv), 'Vince Vaughn' (qv), 'Will Ferrell' (qv), 'Owen Wilson (I)' (qv), and 'Luke Wilson (I)' (qv). The Frat Pack name is a reference to the film _Old School (2003)_ (qv), featuring Vaughn, Ferrell, and Luke Wilson, due to the wide number of films featuring the seven actors. Carell's Frat Pack films include _Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004)_ (qv), _Bewitched (2005)_ (qv) and _Melinda and Melinda (2004)_ (qv).
- When he attended the premiere for _Bruce Almighty (2003)_ (qv), he came to the screening with the impression that his scenes were left on the cutting-room floor. However, his scenes were in the film, and he was pleasantly surprised.
- Denison Univerisity is not only the alma mater of 'Steve Carell' (qv) and 'Jennifer Garner (I)' (qv), it is also the alma mater of 'Hal Holbrook' (qv), 'John Davidson (I)' (qv), 'John Schuck' (qv), and 'Tom Cotter (I)' (qv).
- Worked the overnight shift in a Store 24 in Maynard, Massachusetts, and takes many of his characters from this experience.