Dec. 13th, 1957
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Steve Buscemi was born in Brooklyn, New York, USA. He became interested in acting during his last year of high school. After graduating, he moved to Manhattan to study acting with John Strasberg. He began writing and performing original theatre pieces with fellow actor/writer Mark Boone Junior. This led to his being cast in his first lead role in Parting Glances (1986). Since then, he has worked with many of the top filmmakers in Hollywood, including Quentin Tarantino, Jerry Bruckheimer, and The Coen Brothers. He is a highly respected actor.
- Has been cast in six movies by 'Joel Coen' (qv) and 'Ethan Coen' (qv), more appearances in Coen Brothers films than any other actor, exceeding by two films 'Frances McDormand' (qv), 'John Turturro' (qv) and 'John Goodman (I)' (qv). His character died in three of them: _Miller's Crossing (1990)_ (qv), _Fargo (1996)_ (qv), and _The Big Lebowski (1998)_ (qv).
- His character in _Reservoir Dogs (1992)_ (qv) refuses to tip waitresses. He later made a cameo as a waiter in _Pulp Fiction (1994)_ (qv).
- (September 2001) Showed up at his old firehouse the day after the World Trade Center tragedy in New York to volunteer. Worked twelve hour shifts for a week after the terrorist act, digging through rubble with his old comrades looking for missing firefighters... anonymously.
- Fractured his skull when he was hit by the bus when he was young. Some time later, he was hit by a car while chasing a ball which had rolled onto the street. He had cuts and bruises from this accident.
- In addition to his acting work, he has gained praise as a director, most notably for _Trees Lounge (1996)_ (qv), _Animal Factory (2000)_ (qv) and several episodes of _"The Sopranos" (1999)_ (qv).
- Is one of the most prolific of today's actors, often starring in about 5 films a year.
- The band "Blessid Union of Souls" makes a reference to him in their hit song, "Hey Leonardo". They refer to him as "That guy who played in _Fargo (1996)_ (qv). I think his name is Steve."
- Surname pronunced Buss-ehm-ee. Is of Italian and Irish-American ancestry.