Dec. 13th, 1957
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Steve Buscemi was born in Brooklyn, New York, USA. He became interested in acting during his last year of high school. After graduating, he moved to Manhattan to study acting with John Strasberg. He began writing and performing original theatre pieces with fellow actor/writer Mark Boone Junior. This led to his being cast in his first lead role in Parting Glances (1986). Since then, he has worked with many of the top filmmakers in Hollywood, including Quentin Tarantino, Jerry Bruckheimer, and The Coen Brothers. He is a highly respected actor.
- Bears such a strong resemblance to writer-director 'John Waters (I)' (qv) that as a joke, Waters sent out cards with a photo of Buscemi made up to look like Waters.
- One son, 'Lucian Buscemi' (qv), born in 1990.
- He went through a variety of interesting jobs before hitting it big as a character actor. He worked as a bartender, drove an ice-cream truck, attempted stand-up comedy, and (that which he is most proud of) was a firefighter (he continues to be a volunteer fire-fighter). He bombed so bad as a comic one night another comic took his place, 'Paul Reiser' (qv). Years later Buscemi and Reiser did an episode of _"Mad About You" (1992)_ (qv) poking fun at the incident.
- (October 1997) Ranked #52 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list.
- Graduated in 1975 from Valley Stream Central High School, Valley Stream, NY. After graduation, he attended Nassau Community College and then moved to Manhattan to study acting at the famed Lee Strasberg Institute.
- Fractured his skull when he was hit by the bus when he was young. Some time later, he was hit by a car while chasing a ball which had rolled onto the street. He had cuts and bruises from this accident.
- Went to a Catholic school.
- Has been cast in six movies by 'Joel Coen' (qv) and 'Ethan Coen' (qv), more appearances in Coen Brothers films than any other actor, exceeding by two films 'Frances McDormand' (qv), 'John Turturro' (qv) and 'John Goodman (I)' (qv). His character died in three of them: _Miller's Crossing (1990)_ (qv), _Fargo (1996)_ (qv), and _The Big Lebowski (1998)_ (qv).