Dec. 13th, 1957
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Steve Buscemi was born in Brooklyn, New York, USA. He became interested in acting during his last year of high school. After graduating, he moved to Manhattan to study acting with John Strasberg. He began writing and performing original theatre pieces with fellow actor/writer Mark Boone Junior. This led to his being cast in his first lead role in Parting Glances (1986). Since then, he has worked with many of the top filmmakers in Hollywood, including Quentin Tarantino, Jerry Bruckheimer, and The Coen Brothers. He is a highly respected actor.
- He went through a variety of interesting jobs before hitting it big as a character actor. He worked as a bartender, drove an ice-cream truck, attempted stand-up comedy, and (that which he is most proud of) was a firefighter (he continues to be a volunteer fire-fighter). He bombed so bad as a comic one night another comic took his place, 'Paul Reiser' (qv). Years later Buscemi and Reiser did an episode of _"Mad About You" (1992)_ (qv) poking fun at the incident.
- Brother of 'Michael Buscemi' (qv).
- Was a New York City Fireman from 1980 to 1984, with Engine Company #55 in the Little Italy section of NY.
- His father, John, had hoped to be a television cameraman, but he ended up clearing garbage for the sanitation department. His mother, Dorothy, worked as a hostess in the Howard Johnson hotels.
- Fractured his skull when he was hit by the bus when he was young. Some time later, he was hit by a car while chasing a ball which had rolled onto the street. He had cuts and bruises from this accident.
- Has three brothers.
- Bears such a strong resemblance to writer-director 'John Waters (I)' (qv) that as a joke, Waters sent out cards with a photo of Buscemi made up to look like Waters.
- Grew up in Valley Stream, New York, as did actors Edward Burns, James Martin Kelly, and Larry Miller.