Dec. 13th, 1957
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Book Store Customer
Steve Buscemi was born in Brooklyn, New York, USA. He became interested in acting during his last year of high school. After graduating, he moved to Manhattan to study acting with John Strasberg. He began writing and performing original theatre pieces with fellow actor/writer Mark Boone Junior. This led to his being cast in his first lead role in Parting Glances (1986). Since then, he has worked with many of the top filmmakers in Hollywood, including Quentin Tarantino, Jerry Bruckheimer, and The Coen Brothers. He is a highly respected actor.
- (September 2001) Showed up at his old firehouse the day after the World Trade Center tragedy in New York to volunteer. Worked twelve hour shifts for a week after the terrorist act, digging through rubble with his old comrades looking for missing firefighters... anonymously.
- Has been cast in six movies by 'Joel Coen' (qv) and 'Ethan Coen' (qv), more appearances in Coen Brothers films than any other actor, exceeding by two films 'Frances McDormand' (qv), 'John Turturro' (qv) and 'John Goodman (I)' (qv). His character died in three of them: _Miller's Crossing (1990)_ (qv), _Fargo (1996)_ (qv), and _The Big Lebowski (1998)_ (qv).
- His mother is Irish-American.
- Was a New York City Fireman from 1980 to 1984, with Engine Company #55 in the Little Italy section of NY.
- Grandmother had 5 children.
- Modelled for H&M (2000).
- Graduated in 1975 from Valley Stream Central High School, Valley Stream, NY. After graduation, he attended Nassau Community College and then moved to Manhattan to study acting at the famed Lee Strasberg Institute.
- (12 April 2001) Stabbed in the throat, head and arm during a barroom brawl at the Firebelly Lounge in Wilmington, North Carolina. The brawl also involved 'Vince Vaughn' (qv), who was arrested for brutalizing one of Buscemi's attackers. He suffered a deep cut to the face and now has a noticeable scar on his cheek. Heavy make-up is used to hide it in movies.