Dec. 13th, 1957
Brooklyn, New York, USA
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Guest
Steve Buscemi was born in Brooklyn, New York, USA. He became interested in acting during his last year of high school. After graduating, he moved to Manhattan to study acting with John Strasberg. He began writing and performing original theatre pieces with fellow actor/writer Mark Boone Junior. This led to his being cast in his first lead role in Parting Glances (1986). Since then, he has worked with many of the top filmmakers in Hollywood, including Quentin Tarantino, Jerry Bruckheimer, and The Coen Brothers. He is a highly respected actor.
- Graduated in 1975 from Valley Stream Central High School, Valley Stream, NY. After graduation, he attended Nassau Community College and then moved to Manhattan to study acting at the famed Lee Strasberg Institute.
- Went to a Catholic school.
- Auditioned for the part of George Costanza on _"Seinfeld" (1990)_ (qv).
- Has three brothers.
- Was member of the dramatic jury at the Sundance Film Festival in 2003.
- Played a character in _Desperado (1995)_ (qv) whose character's name was his own last name.
- Was good enough to be a varsity wrestler (105 lb weight class) on the wrestling team in high school. He was also a soccer player, and was considered a "jock" rather than a scholar. Years later, while on _"Late Night with Conan O'Brien" (1993)_ (qv), Buscemi challenged 'Andy Richter (I)' (qv) to a wrestling match when he found out Richter was on a high school wrestling team also. Much to Buscemi's embarrassment, Richter won, although Richter noted that fact the he is six inches taller and at least 100 pounds heavier might have given him an edge.
- Surname pronunced Buss-ehm-ee. Is of Italian and Irish-American ancestry.