Jul. 11th, 1952
New York City, New York, USA
Stephen Lang's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
A stage actor of great recognition, Stephen Lang has shaped a formidable career on and off the various stages of the United States and abroad. Broadway roles include a Tony-nominated performance as a homeless man in 'The Speed of Darkness', Happy in the Dustin Hoffman revival of 'Death of a Salesman', Colonel Jessep in 'A Few Good Men', and a thief alongside Quentin Tarantino and Marisa Tomei in 'Wait Until Dark'. Off-Broadway credits include John Patrick Shanley's 'Defiance', Anne Nelson's 'The Guys', Arthur Miller's 'Finishing the Picture', and his own play 'Beyond Glory' for which he received a Helen Hayes Award nomination. Television and Film credits include celebrated performances as Babe Ruth and Stonewall Jackson in 'Babe Ruth' and 'Gods and Generals' respectively, as well as acclaimed performances in 'Last Exit to Brooklyn', 'Tombstone', 'Gettysburg', Michael Mann's hit TV show 'Crime Story', and an NBC revival of 'The Fugitive' featuring Tim Daly. He has been nominated for and won numerous awards including the Grace Prize, Outer Critics Circle, Drama Desk, Helen Hayes, and Tony awards.
- Runs the famed Actors Studio in New York along with 'Lee Grant (I)' (qv), 'Al Pacino' (qv) and others.
- He was awarded the 1989 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Supporting Role in a Play for "The Speed of Darkness" at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- He was nominated for a 2006 Joseph Jefferson Award for Actor in a Solo Performance for "Beyond Glory" at the Goodman Theatre in Chicago, Illinois.
- Has appeared in two films about serial killers: Manhunter and The Hard Way. Manhunter was based on the novel Red Dragon.
- Is one of four _"Crime Story" (1986)_ (qv) stars to appear in the Hannibal Lecter trilogy. He starred with 'Dennis Farina' (qv) and 'Bill Smitrovich' (qv) in _Manhunter (1986)_ (qv), and 'Ted Levine' (qv) played "Buffalo Bill" in _The Silence of the Lambs (1991)_ (qv).
- Played Happy, one of 'Dustin Hoffman' (qv)'s sons, in the acclaimed 1984 Broadway revival of "Death of a Salesman." 'John Malkovich' (qv) played the other son, Biff.
- Has four children: Noah, Grace, Dan, Lucy.
- While many _Gettysburg (1993)_ (qv) cast members reprised their roles in the prequel _Gods and Generals (2003)_ (qv), Lang was one of several actors (and the most prominent one) to play two different characters. He played George Pickett in "Gettysburg" and General Stonewall Jackson in "Gods and Generals".