Jan. 8th, 1926
Franklinton, North Carolina, USA
Soupy Sales' Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles1998 - Holy Man
1993 - The Making of '...And God Spoke'
1978 - Hooper
Guest TV Roles
(segment "Love and the Big Surprise")
Harlan Livingston III
[no bio found]
- Once claimed to have been hit in the face with 25,000 pies in the course of his career.
- Mr. Sales attended the "Hollywood Collectors & Celebrities Show", at Beverly Garland's Holiday Inn, in North Hollywood, California, on October 6th & 7th, 2001.
- According to Sales' autobiography, the name Soupy Sales was derived from two things. "Soupy" came from "Soupbone", a nickname he got in his youth which was a mispronunciation of his real last name, Supman; and Sales came from the suggestion of an Ohio television manager who knew of a comic named "Chick Sales". Soupy knew that the man was referring to 1920s comic actor 'Charles 'Chic' Sale' (qv), but didn't correct him and accepted the name. Sales also went by the name of "Soupy Hines" for a while, which was a reference to (and a misspelling of) the famous soup company.
- Soupy was born Milton Supman, the youngest of three sons born to dry-goods store owners Irving and Sadie Supman in Franklinton, North Carolina.
- 2000 - Had surgery to repair damage to his vocal cords.
- 1995 - Broke his leg, which has since limited his walking ability.
- A prank was played on him by the studio crew during a live broadcast of one of his shows. Upon opening a prop door on his set, a nude dancer was gyrating in front of him as a recording of "The Stripper" was playing over the studio loudspeakers. While the woman was out of camera shot for the television feed, the studio monitors were rigged so Sales could see the nude dancer on them, giving the impression that she was being broadcast live on his children's show. Convinced that his career was over, yet still laughing with his crew, he asked that they cut to a commercial. Only then was he told that the nude dancer wasn't shown on the live feed. He later joked, "All I really wanted from her was her autograph." The clip from the show has circulated in several videotape collections of "bloopers" and out-takes.
- Father of 'Hunt Sales' (qv) and 'Tony Fox Sales' (qv), who have played in bands with such rock notables as 'David Bowie (I)' (qv), 'Todd Rundgren' (qv) and 'Iggy Pop' (qv).
Related sites for this celeb