Feb. 14th, 1970
Gloucester, Gloucestershire, England, UK
Simon Pegg's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Simon Pegg (born Simon John Beckingham; 14 February 1970) is an English actor, comedian, writer, film producer, and director. He is best known for having co-written and starred in various Edgar Wright features, mainly Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and the comedy series Spaced.
He also portrayed Montgomery "Scotty" Scott in the 2009 Star Trek film, Benji Dunn in Mission: Impossible III and its sequel Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, and Thompson in The Adventures of Tintin. Much of his major work has been in collaboration with some combination of Wright, Nick Frost, Jessica Hynes, and Dylan Moran. He also starred in and co-wrote Paul (with Frost) and Run Fatboy Run (with Michael Ian Black).
He will reprise his role as Scotty in Star Trek into Darkness and will star in Wright's next film The World's End.
Pegg married Maureen McCann on 23 July 2005. On 21 February 2009, Pegg announced his wife was five months pregnant with the couple's first child. Their daughter Matilda was born circa early July, 2009. Pegg has stated on his personal Twitter feed that he is an atheist.
Along with Jonny Buckland, Pegg is godfather to Apple, daughter of close friends Chris Martin and Gwyneth Paltrow. In return Martin is godfather to Pegg's daughter. Pegg's parents and sister briefly appeared in Spaced while his mother alone appeared in both Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
Pegg was awarded an honorary fellowship by the University of Gloucestershire on 4 December 2008.
- Graduated from Bristol university in 1991 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in theatre, film and television.
- Was offered a role in _Dog Soldiers (2002)_ (qv), but turned it down at 'Edgar Wright' (qv)'s request, as Wright wanted _Shaun of the Dead (2004)_ (qv) to be Pegg's first role in a horror movie.
- When asked by a journalist whether England hadn't become too small for him after the world-wide success of _Shaun of the Dead (2004)_ (qv), he replied "It's not like I'm going to be starring in Mission Impossible 3". Six months later, he was cast as Benji in _Mission: Impossible III (2006)_ (qv).
- Lost two stone (28 pounds) for his role in _Hot Fuzz (2007)_ (qv).
- He is the Darrick Robertson's "model" for Wee Hughie in The Boys by Garth Ennis and Darrick Robertson.
- He is the only actor to appear in both of 'J.J. Abrams' (qv)'s theatrical films: _Mission: Impossible III (2006)_ (qv) and _Star Trek (2009)_ (qv).
- On 6 July 2009, Simon announced on his official website that his wife Maureen McCann had given birth to a daughter a few days earlier. However he added "name, weight, time, place etc all belong to us and we won't be going out of our way to divulge them anytime soon".
- He was cast in the role of "Benji" in _Mission: Impossible III (2006)_ (qv) after 'Ricky Gervais' (qv) was unable to take the role. 'JJ Abrams', director of the film, is said to be a huge fan of _Shaun of the Dead (2004)_ (qv).