26 (passed away Aug. 9th, 1969)
Jan. 24th, 1943
Dallas, Texas, USA
Sharon Tate's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Sharon's early life was one of constant moving as her father served in the military. When she lived in Italy, she was voted "Homecoming Queen" of her high school. After being an extra in a few Italian films, Sharon headed to Hollywood where she would again start as an extra. Her first big break came when she was cast as the shapely bank secretary, Janet Trego, in the Television Series "The Beverly Hillbillies" (1962) (1963-1965)". In 1967, she would meet her future husband, Director Roman Polanski, on the set of the English film _Fearless Vampire Killers, The (1967)_. Sharon's big role would be that same year when she was the starlet in Valley of the Dolls (1967). With her marriage to Roman, her life became one of parties, travel, and meeting influential movie people. She would appear as a red haired beauty in the spy spoof The Wrecking Crew (1968) working with Dean Martin (I) and the equally beautiful Elke Sommer. Sharon then took time off from films as she awaited the birth of her first child. On August 9, 1969, a pregnant Sharon Tate and four other people where murdered by members of the "Manson family".
- Was originally cast in the role of Christian Rudd in _The Cincinnati Kid (1965)_ (qv) by producer 'Martin Ransohoff' (qv), who had her under contract. She was replaced with 'Tuesday Weld' (qv) by the film's director, 'Norman Jewison' (qv), after 'Sam Peckinpah' (qv) was fired several days into filming by Ransohoff. Ransohoff was dismayed by Peckinpah's desire to shoot the film in black and white and to feature Tate in a nude scene.
- The house at 10050 Cielo Drive, rented by Tate and 'Roman Polanski' (qv) at the time of the murders, was demolished in 1994. An Italian-style mansion has been erected in its place and the street address has been changed. The new mansion was originally priced at $12.5 million in an attempt to cash in on the locations notoriety but no sale was made. Recently, the price was reduced to $7.7 million but the house still remains vacant.
- When, in 2003, E! Entertainment Television ranked the _101 Most Shocking Moments in Entertainment (2003) (TV)_ (qv), the murder of Sharon Tate was listed at number nine.
- Was originally cast in the role of "Billie Jo" on _"Petticoat Junction" (1963)_ (qv), but she walked away from the show on advice from her manager ('Martin Ransohoff' (qv)). He didn't feel it was a good launching pad for her career.
- A January 25, 1965, brief in Daily Variety announced that she would play the lead, on loan from Filmways, in producer 'Sy Weintraub' (qv)'s _Tarzan and the Valley of Gold (1966)_ (qv). The role eventually went to 'Nancy Kovack' (qv).
- Lived in Pasadena, Texas from 1948 to 1951 and attended St. Pius V Catholic School from kindergarten to the second grade (1948-1951).
- Her favorite lip makeup was vaseline. She kept little jars of it in her car.
- Buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Culver City, California.
Related sites for this celeb