Aug. 28th, 1965
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Shania Twain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - I Heart Huckabees
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Country Singer (segment "The Greatest Women of Country Music")
Herself - Musical Guest
Shania Twain was born as Eilleen Regina Edwards in 1965, the middle of three daughters to Clarence and Sharon Edwards (sister Jill is two years older and Carrie-Ann three years younger). When she was six, her mother remarried Jerry Twain, a full-blooded Ojibwa native from Timmins, Ontario, who adopted her as his own, making her 50% native in the eyes of the law. She started out singing in bars as a child after hours, and, at 13, appeared on "The Tommy Hunter Show" (1965). When she was 22, her parents were killed in an accident, and she became the legal guardian of her half-brothers (Mark, then 13, and Darryl, then 14) and sister, putting her musical career on hold to raise her family. In 1991 she changed her name to Shania (meaning "I'm on my way" in Ojibwa, it was the name of a co-worker), and signed a contract with Mercury Nashville that same year. Her first album went by without notice, but her second album (produced with (Mutt) Robert John Lange, who she wed in 1993) broke world records with its sales!
- Ranked #15 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.
- (12 August 2001) Gave birth to first child, a son, Eja (pronounced "Asia").
- Her heritage is Irish and French-Canadian. She was raised in the Ojibway Indian culture by her stepfather, a full blooded Ojibway native.
- Her German Shepherd dog Tim is named after her hometown of Timmins, Ontario, Canada.
- She owns a cottage near the town of Huntsville in the Muskoka region of Ontario, Canada.
- Her album "Up!" (2002) sold two million copies in the United States during its first month of release.
- Shy as a child, was a tomboy and hated performing. Started writing songs when she was 8 years old.
- Shares a birthday with 'LeAnn Rimes' (qv).