Aug. 28th, 1965
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Shania Twain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - I Heart Huckabees
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Country Singer (segment "The Greatest Women of Country Music")
Herself - Musical Guest
Shania Twain was born as Eilleen Regina Edwards in 1965, the middle of three daughters to Clarence and Sharon Edwards (sister Jill is two years older and Carrie-Ann three years younger). When she was six, her mother remarried Jerry Twain, a full-blooded Ojibwa native from Timmins, Ontario, who adopted her as his own, making her 50% native in the eyes of the law. She started out singing in bars as a child after hours, and, at 13, appeared on "The Tommy Hunter Show" (1965). When she was 22, her parents were killed in an accident, and she became the legal guardian of her half-brothers (Mark, then 13, and Darryl, then 14) and sister, putting her musical career on hold to raise her family. In 1991 she changed her name to Shania (meaning "I'm on my way" in Ojibwa, it was the name of a co-worker), and signed a contract with Mercury Nashville that same year. Her first album went by without notice, but her second album (produced with (Mutt) Robert John Lange, who she wed in 1993) broke world records with its sales!
- Her biggest country hit, 1997's "Love Gets Me Every Time," became the first country No. 1 released by a female country artist to spend five weeks atop Billboard's country chart since 'Dolly Parton' (qv)'s 1977 hit "Here You Come Again.".
- She owns a cottage near the town of Huntsville in the Muskoka region of Ontario, Canada.
- Has scored seven No. 1 hits on Billboard magazine's country singles chart. Her biggest hit is the country-pop smash "You're Still the One" (1998, No. 1 country, No. 2 Hot 100); the song won Grammy Awards for Best Country song and Best Female Country Performance.
- Name "Shania" means "I'm on my way" in Ojibwa.
- Uses her married (and legal) name Eilleen Lange in the credits for her latest CD, titled 'Up.' It is her first release since 1997's multi-platinum effort 'Come on Over.'
- Her album "Up!" (2002) sold two million copies in the United States during its first month of release.
- Had a poster of 'Tony Danza' (qv) on her wall when she was a little girl.
- Ranked #15 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.