Aug. 28th, 1965
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Shania Twain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - I Heart Huckabees
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Country Singer (segment "The Greatest Women of Country Music")
Herself - Musical Guest
Shania Twain was born as Eilleen Regina Edwards in 1965, the middle of three daughters to Clarence and Sharon Edwards (sister Jill is two years older and Carrie-Ann three years younger). When she was six, her mother remarried Jerry Twain, a full-blooded Ojibwa native from Timmins, Ontario, who adopted her as his own, making her 50% native in the eyes of the law. She started out singing in bars as a child after hours, and, at 13, appeared on "The Tommy Hunter Show" (1965). When she was 22, her parents were killed in an accident, and she became the legal guardian of her half-brothers (Mark, then 13, and Darryl, then 14) and sister, putting her musical career on hold to raise her family. In 1991 she changed her name to Shania (meaning "I'm on my way" in Ojibwa, it was the name of a co-worker), and signed a contract with Mercury Nashville that same year. Her first album went by without notice, but her second album (produced with (Mutt) Robert John Lange, who she wed in 1993) broke world records with its sales!
- Her biggest country hit, 1997's "Love Gets Me Every Time," became the first country No. 1 released by a female country artist to spend five weeks atop Billboard's country chart since 'Dolly Parton' (qv)'s 1977 hit "Here You Come Again.".
- Lives in Switzerland with her husband and son.
- Received the "Order of Canada", Canada's highest honor on November 18, 2005.
- She received a star on the Canadian Walk of Fame in Toronto, Ontario, Canada (June 25, 2003).
- Won three 2003 Juno Awards: Juno Fan Choice Award, Artist of the Year and Country Recording of the Year.
- Is one of only four native Canadians to reach the peak of Billboard's country chart since its inception in 1944. The other top hit makers are 'Hank Snow (II)' (qv) (who first turned the trick in 1950), 'Anne Murray (I)' (qv) (first No. 1 hit in 1974), and 'Terri Clark (II)' (qv) (first No. 1 hit in 1999).
- Her name is correctly pronounced 'Shu-nye-ah'.
- Ranked #15 on VH1's 100 Sexiest Artists.