Aug. 28th, 1965
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
Shania Twain's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2004 - I Heart Huckabees
Guest TV Roles
Herself - Country Singer (segment "The Greatest Women of Country Music")
Herself - Musical Guest
Shania Twain was born as Eilleen Regina Edwards in 1965, the middle of three daughters to Clarence and Sharon Edwards (sister Jill is two years older and Carrie-Ann three years younger). When she was six, her mother remarried Jerry Twain, a full-blooded Ojibwa native from Timmins, Ontario, who adopted her as his own, making her 50% native in the eyes of the law. She started out singing in bars as a child after hours, and, at 13, appeared on "The Tommy Hunter Show" (1965). When she was 22, her parents were killed in an accident, and she became the legal guardian of her half-brothers (Mark, then 13, and Darryl, then 14) and sister, putting her musical career on hold to raise her family. In 1991 she changed her name to Shania (meaning "I'm on my way" in Ojibwa, it was the name of a co-worker), and signed a contract with Mercury Nashville that same year. Her first album went by without notice, but her second album (produced with (Mutt) Robert John Lange, who she wed in 1993) broke world records with its sales!
- (January 26, 2003) Performed at the National Football League's Super Bowl half-time show where it was well known that she had been lip-synching the song.
- Her other country No. 1 hits: "Any Man of Mine" (1995); "(If You're Not in it for Love) I'm Outta Here!" "You Win My Love" and "No One Needs to Know" (1996); and "Honey I'm Home" (1998). Other big hits include "Whose Bed Have Your Boots Been Under" and "The Woman in Me (Needs the Man in You)" (1995); "Don't Be Stupid," "From This Moment On" and "That Don't Impress Me Much" (all 1998, the second a duet with country singer 'Bryan White (I)' (qv)); and "Man! I Feel Like a Woman," "You've Got a Way" and "Come On Over" (all 1999).
- Listed in "People Weekly"s "Most Intriguing People" list. (December 25, 1995/January 1, 1996 issue)
- Her German Shepherd dog Tim is named after her hometown of Timmins, Ontario, Canada.
- Her nephew, whose last name is also Twain, got his big break in entertainment when featured on Canada's Much Music cable station in 2004.
- (12 August 2001) Gave birth to first child, a son, Eja (pronounced "Asia").
- Won three 2003 Juno Awards: Juno Fan Choice Award, Artist of the Year and Country Recording of the Year.
- Shares a birthday with 'LeAnn Rimes' (qv).