Aug. 25th, 1930
Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor
Sir Thomas Sean Connery Kt. (born August 25, 1930) is a Scottish actor and producer who has won an Academy Award, two BAFTA Awards (one of them being a BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award) and three Golden Globes (including the Cecil B. DeMille Award and a Henrietta Award). He was knighted by Elizabeth II in July 2000, and received the Kennedy Center Honors in the US.
Connery, named Thomas after his grandfather, was born in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland. His mother, Euphemia McBain "Effie" (née McLean), was a cleaning woman, and his father, Joseph Connery, was a factory worker and lorry driver. His paternal grandfather's parents emigrated to Scotland from Ireland in the mid-19th century.
Connery is best known for portraying the character James Bond, starring in seven Bond films between 1962 and 1983 (six Eon Productions films and the non-Eon Thunderball remake, Never Say Never Again). In 1988, Connery won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Untouchables. His film career also includes such films as Marnie, The Name of the Rose, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October, Highlander, Murder on the Orient Express, Dragonheart, and The Rock.
Connery has been polled as "The Greatest Living Scot" and "Scotland's Greatest Living National Treasure". In 1989, he was proclaimed "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine and in 1999, at age 69, he was voted "Sexiest Man of the Century".
During the production of South Pacific in the mid-1950s, Connery dated a "dark-haired beauty with a ballerina's figure", Carol Sopel, but was warned off by her Jewish family.
He then dated a blonde named Julie Hamilton; given his rugged appearance and rough charm she initially thought he was a most appalling person and was not attracted to him until she saw him in a kilt, declaring him to be the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen in her life.
He also shared a mutual attraction with black jazz singer Maxine Daniels, whom he met at the Empire Theatre. He made a pass at her, but she informed him that she was already happily married with a baby daughter. Connery was married to actress 'Diane Cilento' from 1962 to 1973. They had a son, actor 'Jason Connery'. Connery has been married to Moroccan-French painter Micheline Roquebrune (born 1929) since 1975.
- 'Terry Gilliam' (qv) did not intend to cast him as King Agamemnon in _Time Bandits (1981)_ (qv), he simply wrote in the screenplay that when Agamemnon took off his helmet he looked "exactly like Sean Connery." To Gilliam's surprise, the script found its way into Connery's hands and Connery subsequently expressed interest in doing the film.
- Received the honorary degree of DLitt from St Andrews University in 1988.
- Premiere Magazine ranked him as #36 on a list of the Greatest Movie Stars of All Time in their Stars in Our Constellation feature (2005).
- He has two small tattoos on his right arm. One says "Scotland forever", the other "Mum and Dad." He got them when he enlisted in the Royal Navy at the age of 16.
- In 1999 he called on the Scottish parliament to ban all handguns in the country.
- Shares his birthday with American director 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv).
- December 2002: Voted "The Male Celebrity With The Sexiest Voice" in a survey carried out by a mobile phone company. 'Kylie Minogue' (qv) topped the female category.
- Brother of 'Neil Connery (I)' (qv).