Aug. 25th, 1930
Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland, UK
Guest TV Roles
Himself - Actor
Sir Thomas Sean Connery Kt. (born August 25, 1930) is a Scottish actor and producer who has won an Academy Award, two BAFTA Awards (one of them being a BAFTA Academy Fellowship Award) and three Golden Globes (including the Cecil B. DeMille Award and a Henrietta Award). He was knighted by Elizabeth II in July 2000, and received the Kennedy Center Honors in the US.
Connery, named Thomas after his grandfather, was born in Fountainbridge, Edinburgh, Scotland. His mother, Euphemia McBain "Effie" (née McLean), was a cleaning woman, and his father, Joseph Connery, was a factory worker and lorry driver. His paternal grandfather's parents emigrated to Scotland from Ireland in the mid-19th century.
Connery is best known for portraying the character James Bond, starring in seven Bond films between 1962 and 1983 (six Eon Productions films and the non-Eon Thunderball remake, Never Say Never Again). In 1988, Connery won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in The Untouchables. His film career also includes such films as Marnie, The Name of the Rose, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, The Hunt for Red October, Highlander, Murder on the Orient Express, Dragonheart, and The Rock.
Connery has been polled as "The Greatest Living Scot" and "Scotland's Greatest Living National Treasure". In 1989, he was proclaimed "Sexiest Man Alive" by People magazine and in 1999, at age 69, he was voted "Sexiest Man of the Century".
During the production of South Pacific in the mid-1950s, Connery dated a "dark-haired beauty with a ballerina's figure", Carol Sopel, but was warned off by her Jewish family.
He then dated a blonde named Julie Hamilton; given his rugged appearance and rough charm she initially thought he was a most appalling person and was not attracted to him until she saw him in a kilt, declaring him to be the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen in her life.
He also shared a mutual attraction with black jazz singer Maxine Daniels, whom he met at the Empire Theatre. He made a pass at her, but she informed him that she was already happily married with a baby daughter. Connery was married to actress 'Diane Cilento' from 1962 to 1973. They had a son, actor 'Jason Connery'. Connery has been married to Moroccan-French painter Micheline Roquebrune (born 1929) since 1975.
- Played James Bond in _Thunderball (1965)_ (qv). 18 years later, he reprised the role in the film's remake, _Never Say Never Again (1983)_ (qv). He is the only Bond actor to appear in both an official and non-official EON production.
- Shares his birthday with American director 'Tim Burton (I)' (qv).
- He was presented with a lifetime achievement award at the European Film Awards in Berlin, presented to him by 'Jean-Jacques Annaud' (qv), who directed Connery in _Der Name der Rose (1986)_ (qv). (3 December 2005)
- _Marnie (1964)_ (qv) co-star 'Tippi Hedren' (qv) named one of her house cats after him.
- Received the Freedom of the City of Edinburgh in 1991.
- Presented with the American Film Institute's Lifetime Achievement Award by his _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv) co-star 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv), who told him, "'John Wayne (I)' (qv) gave us the old West. 'James Stewart (I)' (qv) gave us our town. You gave us the world." (8 June 2006)
- Brother of 'Neil Connery (I)' (qv).
- He joined the Merchant Navy as a teenager but stomach ulcers forced him to leave. He received a disability pension for a period after this.