Apr. 17th, 1959
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK
Sean Bean's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Shaun Mark "Sean" Bean (born April 17, 1959) is an English film, television, theatre and voice actor. He graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art in 1983 and was a member of the Royal Shakespeare Company.
Bean worked for his father's welding firm before he decided to become an actor. He attended RADA in London and appeared in a number of West End stage productions including RSC's Fair Maid of the West (Spencer), (1986) and Romeo and Juliet (1987) (Romeo) , as well as Deathwatch (Lederer) (1985) at the Young Vic and Killing the Cat (Danny) (1990) at the Theatre Upstairs.
Bean has a younger sister named Lorraine. He has a tattoo of the English number nine, written using Tengwar, on his shoulder in reference to his involvement in the Lord of the Rings and the fact that his character was one of the original nine companions of the Fellowship of the Ring. The other actors of The Fellowship ('Elijah Wood', 'Sean Astin', 'Orlando Bloom', 'Billy Boyd', 'Ian McKellen', 'Dominic Monaghan', and 'Viggo Mortensen') have the same tattoo. 'John Rhys-Davies', whose character was also one of the original nine companions, arranged for his stunt double to get the tattoo instead.
Bean has been married and divorced four times. He married his secondary school sweetheart Debra James (April 11, 1981). The marriage ended in divorce in (1988). He met actress 'Melanie Hill' at RADA, and they married (February 27, 1990). The couple's first daughter, Lorna (born October 1987); their second, Molly (born September 1991). Bean and Hill's marriage ended in divorce in (August 1997).
During the filming of Sharpe, Bean met actress 'Abigail Cruttenden', and they married (November 22, 1997). Their daughter, Evie Natasha (born November 1998). Bean and Cruttenden divorced (July 2000). Bean began dating actress Georgina Sutcliffe in 2006. After cancelling their planned January 2008 wedding on the eve of the ceremony for "personal reasons", Bean married Sutcliffe at the Marylebone Register Office in London (February 19, 2008). Amid allegations that Bean physically abused Sutcliffe in 2009, domestic disturbances resulted in the police being called to their home in Belsize Park on three occasions. Bean and Sutcliffe's separation was announced (August 6, 2010), and the divorce was finalized (December 21, 2010). On May 9, 2012, Bean was arrested over claims he made harassing phone calls and sent abusive text messages to Sutcliffe and was later released on bail. All charges were subsequently dropped.
In June 2011 Bean was involved in an altercation with a man at a pub near his London residence. The man had made disparaging comments about a woman Bean was with, model April Summers. Bean began a relationship with actress 'Ashley Moore' during the summer of 2013.
Bean has been a fan of Sheffield United since he was eight years old. He opened their hall of fame in 2001 and, after making a six-figure contribution to the club's finances, was on their board of directors between 2002 and 2007 to help raise the profile of the club. He stepped down in 2007 to return to, as he put it, go back to being an ordinary supporter where he feels at home. In 1990, he was reportedly so elated at the team's promotion to the top division of domestic football that he had '100% Blades' tattooed on his upper left arm.
- In a scene midway through _Sharpe's Honour (1994) (TV)_ (qv), Sharpe and Marquesa Dorada are galloping down a hill on horseback when they suddenly tumble off the horse and land in the middle of a shallow stream. The scene is real; the horse stumbled as it was crossing the stream, sending Bean and co-star 'Alice Krige' (qv) down into the water. Director 'Tom Clegg' liked the scene and kept it for the final cut.
- Appeared in UK adult comic Viz (issue 76, Feb/Mar 1996) in a spoof photo-love story called "I've Bean to Paradise".
- (2002) Appeared in 'Moby (I)' (qv)'s video for "We Are All Made of Stars".
- Has a younger sister named Lorraine
- Graduated from the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London, England.
- Since February 2004, has been living in a London hotel after a burst water pipe flooded his house.
- (6 November 1998) Daughter, Evie Natasha born, with 'Abigail Cruttenden' (qv).
- Has three children as of July 2005: Lorna (b. October, 1987; mother is 'Melanie Hill (I)' (qv)), Molly (b. September, 1991; mother is 'Melanie Hill (I)' (qv)) and Evie Natasha (b. November, 1998; mother is 'Abigail Cruttenden' (qv))