Apr. 17th, 1959
Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, UK
Sean Bean's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2010 - Ca$h
2010 - Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief
2009 - Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1974
2009 - Red Riding: In the Year of Our Lord 1983
2007 - The Hitcher
2007 - Outlaw
2007 - Far North
2006 - Silent Hill
2005 - The Island
2005 - North Country
2005 - The Dark
2005 - Flightplan
2004 - Troy
2004 - National Treasure
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2003 - The Big Empty
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2002 - Equilibrium
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2001 - Don't Say A Word
2000 - Essex Boys
1998 - Ronin
1996 - When Saturday Comes
1995 - Goldeneye
1994 - Black Beauty
1992 - Patriot Games
1990 - The Field
1989 - How to Get Ahead in Advertising
1989 - War Requiem
1988 - Stormy Monday
1986 - Caravaggio
Guest TV Roles
Portrait Griffin (Voiced)
Sean worked for his father's welding firm before he decided to become an actor. He attended RADA in London and appeared in a number of West End stage productions including RSC's "Fair Maid of the West" (Spencer), (1986) and "Romeo and Juliet" (1987) (Romeo) , as well as "Deathwatch" (Lederer) (1985) at the Young Vic and "Killing the Cat" (Danny) (1990) at the Theatre Upstairs. Sean has three young daughters, Lorna, Molly and Evie.
- Has a scar over his eye given to him by 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv) while shooting his death scene in _Patriot Games (1992)_ (qv). Ford accidentally hit him with a boat hook. In the Sharpe series, this was emphasised with makeup to add credibility to his character.
- Was not the first choice for the role of Richard Sharpe in the Sharpe series; he stepped in when an accident prevented actor 'Paul McGann (I)' (qv) from taking the part.
- He and his ex-wife, 'Melanie Hill (I)' (qv), have two daughters: Lorna and Molly.
- Is one of four "Lord of the Rings" stars to star, pre-"Rings," with 'Harrison Ford (I)' (qv). He starred with Ford in _Patriot Games (1992)_ (qv), and Ford starred with 'Viggo Mortensen' (qv) in _Witness (1985)_ (qv), and with 'John Rhys-Davies' (qv) (Gimli) in _Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981)_ (qv) and _Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)_ (qv) and with 'Miranda Otto' (qv) (Éowyn) in _What Lies Beneath (2000)_ (qv).
- Was considered for the part of Kainan in _Outlander (2008)_ (qv).
- Says that he took the roles of Boromir and Odysseus because he was "tired of being known as a villainous actor" to American audiences (he says he was tired of playing just bad guys and wanted a change of pace and to play a sympathetic character or two).
- He was a presenter at the 1995 BAFTA Awards.
- His dislike for flying is so intense that during the filming of the "Mount Caradhras" scene in _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), he hiked in costume to the shooting site while his fellow cast members were ferried in by helicopter.