Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Steve Jobs (Voiced)
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- (27 November 1996) Daughter born: 'Alexandra Astin' (qv).
- On 4 December 2001, Sean had his image as Samwise Gamgee immortalized on a 90-cent New Zealand postage stamp that he shares with "Lord of the Rings" co-star 'Elijah Wood' (qv) (Frodo Baggins). However, Sean's last name is spelled incorrectly on the presentation pack of the stamps (Austin instead of Astin).
- Gave the 2008 commencement address at Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, along with Kent Stock, Luther alum, whose story Sean depicted in _The Final Season (2007)_ (qv).
- He and his father, 'John Astin' (qv), have both appeared in a Best Picture winner. Sean appeared in _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) and John appeared in _West Side Story (1961)_ (qv).
- July 22, 2005, welcomed third child, daughter Isabella Louise at 5lb 4oz. She was a month premature
- Believed that 'Desi Arnaz Jr.' (qv) was his biological father until they both blood tested in 1990. Michael Tell turned out to be his real father.
- Appeared at Wizard World signing autographs on August 9, 2003.
- He is a Verizon Literacy Champion and the National Center for Family Literacy celebrity spokesperson.