Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Sean Astin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- Nephew of 'Ray Duke' (qv).
- (27 November 1996) Daughter born: 'Alexandra Astin' (qv).
- On 4 December 2001, Sean had his image as Samwise Gamgee immortalized on a 90-cent New Zealand postage stamp that he shares with "Lord of the Rings" co-star 'Elijah Wood' (qv) (Frodo Baggins). However, Sean's last name is spelled incorrectly on the presentation pack of the stamps (Austin instead of Astin).
- Son of Michael Tell and actress 'Patty Duke' (qv).
- During principal photography for the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Astin directed trilogy director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) and fellow cast members in a documentary short about camaraderie and friendship within difficult working environments. This topic mirrored a significant theme of the trilogy.
- In February 2003, Sean was appointed to the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation.
- He and his father, 'John Astin' (qv), have both appeared in a Best Picture winner. Sean appeared in _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) and John appeared in _West Side Story (1961)_ (qv).
- His biological father is actually Michael Tell, whom 'Patty Duke' (qv) was married to for less than a month in 1970. Sean was adopted at age 3 by 'John Astin' (qv), but considers both men to be his father.