Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Sean Astin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Do You Believe?
2015 - The Surface
2014 - The Hero of Color City
2014 - Cabin Fever: Patient Zero
2014 - Boys of Abu Ghraib
2013 - Extraction
2009 - Stay Cool
2009 - Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
2008 - Forever Strong
2007 - What Love Is
2007 - Borderland
2007 - The Final Season
2005 - Slipstream
2005 - Ringers - Lord of the Fans
2005 - Bigger Than the Sky
2004 - 50 First Dates
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - Icebreaker
1998 - Bulworth
1996 - Courage Under Fire
1994 - Safe Passage
1993 - Rudy
1992 - Encino Man
1991 - Toy Soldiers
1990 - Memphis Belle
1989 - Staying Together
1989 - The War of the Roses
1987 - Like Father Like Son
1987 - Like Father Like Son
1987 - White Water Summer
1985 - The Goonies
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- Left the room halfway during recording DVD commentary for _The Goonies (1985)_ (qv) and never returned. The recording session started late, and Sean had an earlier commitment to introduce friend 'Joe Pantoliano' (qv) who was M.C.'ing at a local theatre. Left the recording studio to change clothes, then returned to explain why he had to leave, give a "shout out to Joey Pants," and left an action figure of Sam Gamgee to take his place. However, the departure and explanation were edited out by the DVD producers.
- Started his own production company, Lava Entertainment, in the late 1980s.
- July 22, 2005, welcomed third child, daughter Isabella Louise at 5lb 4oz. She was a month premature
- While filming _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), Astin (as Samwise Gamgee) ran into a lake to stop Frodo ('Elijah Wood' (qv)). When he did this, he stepped on a piece of glass and had to be rushed to the hospital. He received many stitches to repair the injury.
- 'Keith Coogan (I)' (qv) is the grandson of 'Jackie Coogan' (qv) who played Uncle Fester in _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv). Sean Astin is the son of 'John Astin' (qv) who played Gomez Addams in _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv). 'Keith Coogan (I)' (qv) and Sean Astin played friends in _Toy Soldiers (1991)_ (qv).
- Calls four people "Dad": 'John Astin' (qv), 'Desi Arnaz Jr.' (qv), Mike Tell and Mike Pearce (his step-father).
- Gave the 2008 commencement address at Luther College, Decorah, Iowa, along with Kent Stock, Luther alum, whose story Sean depicted in _The Final Season (2007)_ (qv).
- Is the second actor from a "Lord of the Rings" adaptation to have a relative in an Addams Family adaptation. His father, 'John Astin' (qv), played Gomez on _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv). 'John Huston (I)' (qv), who voiced Gandalf in the animated version of _The Return of the King (1980) (TV)_ (qv), is the father of 'Anjelica Huston' (qv), who played Morticia in the films.