Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- Is the second actor from a "Lord of the Rings" adaptation to have a relative in an Addams Family adaptation. His father, 'John Astin' (qv), played Gomez on _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv). 'John Huston (I)' (qv), who voiced Gandalf in the animated version of _The Return of the King (1980) (TV)_ (qv), is the father of 'Anjelica Huston' (qv), who played Morticia in the films.
- Appeared at Wizard World signing autographs on August 9, 2003.
- Graduated from UCLA with honors & a B.A. in History & English.
- Has hit bad guys over the head with a frying pan in two different movies: as Sam Gamgee in _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv) and also as Billy Tepper in _Toy Soldiers (1991)_ (qv).
- On 4 December 2001, Sean had his image as Samwise Gamgee immortalized on a 90-cent New Zealand postage stamp that he shares with "Lord of the Rings" co-star 'Elijah Wood' (qv) (Frodo Baggins). However, Sean's last name is spelled incorrectly on the presentation pack of the stamps (Austin instead of Astin).
- Nephew of 'Ray Duke' (qv).
- September 2004 - Attended the Armaggeddon Pulp Culture Expo Convention in Wellington, New Zealand, as a Lord of the Rings guest.
- Believed that 'Desi Arnaz Jr.' (qv) was his biological father until they both blood tested in 1990. Michael Tell turned out to be his real father.