Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Steve Jobs (Voiced)
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- While filming _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), Astin (as Samwise Gamgee) ran into a lake to stop Frodo ('Elijah Wood' (qv)). When he did this, he stepped on a piece of glass and had to be rushed to the hospital. He received many stitches to repair the injury.
- Because Sean's mother is bi-polar, Sean is very active in trying to educate and help the public with identifying and treating mental disorders.
- July 22, 2005, welcomed third child, daughter Isabella Louise at 5lb 4oz. She was a month premature
- He and his father, 'John Astin' (qv), have both appeared in a Best Picture winner. Sean appeared in _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) and John appeared in _West Side Story (1961)_ (qv).
- Announced at the Texas Film Festival on 22 February 2003 that he has optioned the book "Issac's Storm" and is planning on shooting an epic film centered around the Galveston Hurricane of 1900.
- The title of his autobiography, "There and Back Again," is actually the alternate title for "The Hobbit" and, in the story, is the title of Bilbo Baggins' autobiography.
- Attended the same elementary school as 'Camilla Belle' (qv), 'Nicky Hilton (I)' (qv) and 'Paris Hilton' (qv).
- In February 2003, Sean was appointed to the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation.