Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Sean Astin's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2015 - Do You Believe?
2014 - Moms' Night Out
2009 - Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
2009 - Stay Cool
2008 - Forever Strong
2007 - The Final Season
2007 - What Love Is
2007 - Borderland
2006 - Asterix and the Vikings
2005 - Slipstream
2004 - 50 First Dates
2003 - The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
2002 - The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
2001 - The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2000 - Icebreaker
1998 - Bulworth
1996 - Courage Under Fire
1993 - Rudy
1992 - Encino Man
1991 - Toy Soldiers
1990 - Memphis Belle
1989 - The War of the Roses
1989 - Staying Together
1987 - Like Father Like Son
1987 - White Water Summer
1987 - Like Father Like Son
1985 - The Goonies
Guest TV Roles
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- Brother of actor 'Mackenzie Astin' (qv).
- July 22, 2005, welcomed third child, daughter Isabella Louise at 5lb 4oz. She was a month premature
- While filming _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), Astin (as Samwise Gamgee) ran into a lake to stop Frodo ('Elijah Wood' (qv)). When he did this, he stepped on a piece of glass and had to be rushed to the hospital. He received many stitches to repair the injury.
- He and his father, 'John Astin' (qv), have both appeared in a Best Picture winner. Sean appeared in _The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)_ (qv) and John appeared in _West Side Story (1961)_ (qv).
- Believed that 'Desi Arnaz Jr.' (qv) was his biological father until they both blood tested in 1990. Michael Tell turned out to be his real father.
- His biological father is actually Michael Tell, whom 'Patty Duke' (qv) was married to for less than a month in 1970. Sean was adopted at age 3 by 'John Astin' (qv), but considers both men to be his father.
- During principal photography for the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy, Astin directed trilogy director 'Peter Jackson (I)' (qv) and fellow cast members in a documentary short about camaraderie and friendship within difficult working environments. This topic mirrored a significant theme of the trilogy.
- Son of Michael Tell and actress 'Patty Duke' (qv).