Feb. 25th, 1971
Santa Monica, California, USA
Guest TV Roles
Steve Jobs (Voiced)
Sean Patrick Astin (born February 25, 1971), in Santa Monica, California to 'Patty Duke'. It was long reported that his father was 'John Astin' (famous for playing Gomez on The Addams Family (1964) among other things) whom Duke married nearly 18 months later on August 5, 1972. DNA testing later proved that his biological father was Michael Tell, to whom Duke was shortly married to (June 26-July 9, 1970) before the marriage was annulled. When Sean was two, his brother MacKenzie was born. MacKenzie also went on to become an actor. He also has three older step-brothers, David, Allen and Tom, from Astin's first marriage.
In 1981, at age 9, Sean starred with his mother in the after-school special Please Don't Hit Me, Mom (1981). The Goonies (1985) followed, and since then, he has had a steady stream of roles.
Aatin attended Crossroads High School for the Arts and studied with the famous 'Stella Adler'. In 1987, he co-starred with another teen heartthrob, 'Kirk Cameron' in Like Father Like Son (1987), followed, by Toy Soldiers (1991), Where the Day Takes You (1992), Rudy (1993) and the Showtime movie Harrison Bergeron (1995). He's also become involved behind the camera, directing and co-producing the short film Kangaroo Court (1994), which was nominated in the best short film category at the The 67th Annual Academy Awards (1995) (TV) in 1995. Coincidentally, Sean's step-father 'John Astin' was nominated for the same award in 1969.
Astin is married to 'Christine Astin', his co-producer on Kangaroo Court (1994). The couple live in Los Angeles. Even though a successful director, he's not about to give up acting.
- In February 2003, Sean was appointed to the President's Council on Service and Civic Participation.
- September 2004 - Attended the Armaggeddon Pulp Culture Expo Convention in Wellington, New Zealand, as a Lord of the Rings guest.
- Is the second actor from a "Lord of the Rings" adaptation to have a relative in an Addams Family adaptation. His father, 'John Astin' (qv), played Gomez on _"The Addams Family" (1964)_ (qv). 'John Huston (I)' (qv), who voiced Gandalf in the animated version of _The Return of the King (1980) (TV)_ (qv), is the father of 'Anjelica Huston' (qv), who played Morticia in the films.
- Left the room halfway during recording DVD commentary for _The Goonies (1985)_ (qv) and never returned. The recording session started late, and Sean had an earlier commitment to introduce friend 'Joe Pantoliano' (qv) who was M.C.'ing at a local theatre. Left the recording studio to change clothes, then returned to explain why he had to leave, give a "shout out to Joey Pants," and left an action figure of Sam Gamgee to take his place. However, the departure and explanation were edited out by the DVD producers.
- Because Sean's mother is bi-polar, Sean is very active in trying to educate and help the public with identifying and treating mental disorders.
- Attended the same elementary school as 'Camilla Belle' (qv), 'Nicky Hilton (I)' (qv) and 'Paris Hilton' (qv).
- The title of his autobiography, "There and Back Again," is actually the alternate title for "The Hobbit" and, in the story, is the title of Bilbo Baggins' autobiography.
- While filming _The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)_ (qv), Astin (as Samwise Gamgee) ran into a lake to stop Frodo ('Elijah Wood' (qv)). When he did this, he stepped on a piece of glass and had to be rushed to the hospital. He received many stitches to repair the injury.