Oct. 9th, 1954
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
Scott Bakula's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles2009 - The Informant!
2001 - Life as a House
1999 - American Beauty
1998 - Major League: Back to the Minors
1997 - Cats Don't Dance
1995 - Lord of Illusions
1995 - My Family
1994 - Color of Night
1991 - Necessary Roughness
Guest TV Roles
Jeff 'Papa Jeff' Hunter
Elbegast the Robber Knight (Voiced)
Scott Bakula came from a musical family. In the fourth grade, he started a rock band and wrote songs for them. Later, he sang with the St. Louis Symphony. He studied Law at the University of Kansas.
Bakula was born in St. Louis, Missouri, the son of Stewart, a lawyer, and Sally Bakula. He has a younger brother and a younger sister.
In 1976, he was first hired professionally in the role of Sam in Shenandoah and went to New York. After several small roles on TV, he made Quantum Leap (1989).
He won a Golden Globe in 1992 for Best Performance by an Actor in a TV series - Drama for Quantum Leap (1989) and was nominated for a Tony award in 1988. Today, he lives in Los Angeles and has a farm in upstate New York.
Bakula married Krista Neumann in 1981; they divorced in 1995. The couple have two children: Chelsy or Chelsea (sources differ as per spelling) and Cody. He and actress Chelsea Field have been companions since 1996 and have two children, Wil Botfield and Owen Barrett.
- His daughter Chelsy appeared in the _"Quantum Leap" (1989)_ (qv) episode "Memphis Melody."
- His 1988 Tony nomination was as Best Actor (Musical) for "Romance/Romance," written by 'Barry Harman' (qv). The winner in that category that year was 'Michael Crawford (I)' (qv) for "Phantom of the Opera," Scott was not the producers' first choice for the role but was chosen after 'Armand Assante' (qv) turned it down. When Scott left "Romance/Romance" to do _"Quantum Leap" (1989)_ (qv), he was replaced by 'Barry Williams (I)' (qv) for the remainder of the show's Broadway run.
- Member of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.
- The surname Bakula is very common in Croatia and very rare in the Czech Republic. During the premiere of the first season of Star Trek: Enterprise in Croatia, some Croatian newspapers, like Slobodna Dalmacija, conducted a few interviews with Croatians named Bakula, especially with people from Dalmatia and Herzegovina, in an effort to determine Scott Bakula's origin. It is also possible, as a lot of Croats have lived in the Czech Republic for centuries, that Scott's ancestors are among them.
- Children: 'Chelsy Bakula' (qv) (b. 1984), Cody (b. 1991 - adopted) with Neumann; Wil (b. 1995) and Owen (b. 1999), with Field.
- Last name means "flower".
- Best remembered by the public for his starring role as "Doctor Sam Beckett" in _"Quantum Leap" (1989)_ (qv) and as "Captain Jonathan Archer" on Star Trek: _"Enterprise" (2001)_ (qv).
- Has speculated (half jokingly) that Jonathan Archer's middle name is Beckett. This is in reference to Dr. Sam Beckett, the character Bakula portrayed on _"Quantum Leap" (1989)_ (qv).