Jul. 20th, 1971
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Sandra Oh's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to Korean parents in the Ottawa suburb of Nepean, Ontario, Canada. Her father and mother, who were married in Seoul, South Korea, both attended graduate school at the University of Toronto. She began her career as a ballet dancer and eventually studied drama at the National Theatre School in Montreal. She then starred in a London (Ontario) stage production of David Mamet's "Oleanna" and appeared as the title character in the Canadian television production The Diary of Evelyn Lau (1993), beating out over 1,000 applicants. Her list of awards includes the FIPA d'Or for Best Actress at the 1994 Festival International de Programmes Audiovisuels at Cannes, France, two Genie Awards (the Canadian Oscar), a Cable Ace Award, a Theatre World Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. In 2003, she married writer-director 'Alexander Payne' and their first film together was the Oscar-winning Sideways (2004).
- Attended the National Theatre School in Montreal, Quebec.
- Has a sister named Grace and a brother named Ray.
- She has played a pregnant woman in two films: in _Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)_ (qv) with 'Diane Lane (I)' (qv), and in _Cake (2005/I)_ (qv) with 'Heather Graham (I)' (qv).
- Was a member of a National Champion Canadian Improv Team at The Canadian Improv Games in the late nineties.
- In _Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)_ (qv), her girlfriend was portrayed by 'Kate Walsh (I)' (qv), who went on to costar with her in _"Grey's Anatomy" (2005)_ (qv). Coincidentally, Kate also played a doctor in the film.
- Speaks fluent Korean, English, French, and Spanish.
- In _Dancing at the Blue Iguana (2000)_ (qv), Sandra's character came from Seattle, Washington to work in Southern California. In _"Grey's Anatomy" (2005)_ (qv), her character came from Southern California to work in Seattle.
- Attended Sir Robert Borden High School in Nepean, Ontario.