Jul. 20th, 1971
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Sandra Oh's Main TV Roles
Main Movie Roles
Guest TV Roles[none found]
Born to Korean parents in the Ottawa suburb of Nepean, Ontario, Canada. Her father and mother, who were married in Seoul, South Korea, both attended graduate school at the University of Toronto. She began her career as a ballet dancer and eventually studied drama at the National Theatre School in Montreal. She then starred in a London (Ontario) stage production of David Mamet's "Oleanna" and appeared as the title character in the Canadian television production The Diary of Evelyn Lau (1993), beating out over 1,000 applicants. Her list of awards includes the FIPA d'Or for Best Actress at the 1994 Festival International de Programmes Audiovisuels at Cannes, France, two Genie Awards (the Canadian Oscar), a Cable Ace Award, a Theatre World Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. In 2003, she married writer-director 'Alexander Payne' and their first film together was the Oscar-winning Sideways (2004).
- She has the distinction of playing two characters that co-exist in 'Armistead Maupin' (qv)'s fictional universe. In _"Further Tales of the City" (2001)_ (qv), she portrayed a bitchy newswoman who complicated "DeDe Day"'s mission to protect her twins, Anna and Edgar. In _The Night Listener (2006)_ (qv), Oh portrays an adult "Anna Day".
- Attended the National Theatre School in Montreal, Quebec.
- She has played a pregnant woman in two films: in _Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)_ (qv) with 'Diane Lane (I)' (qv), and in _Cake (2005/I)_ (qv) with 'Heather Graham (I)' (qv).
- She loves Spain and especially the city of Barcelona.
- At the 2005 SAG awards, 'Sandra Oh' (qv) presented the Actor for actress in a TV comedy - 'Teri Hatcher' (qv) won the award. A year later at the 2006 Golden Globes, Hatcher presented the award for best supporting actress on TV - Oh won that award and later said it was good to see her again!
- In _Under the Tuscan Sun (2003)_ (qv), her girlfriend was portrayed by 'Kate Walsh (I)' (qv), who went on to costar with her in _"Grey's Anatomy" (2005)_ (qv). Coincidentally, Kate also played a doctor in the film.
- Attended Sir Robert Borden High School in Nepean, Ontario.
- Was a member of a National Champion Canadian Improv Team at The Canadian Improv Games in the late nineties.